GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my new 'Nox Tuesday. LTZ, Gold Mist Metallic, 4 cyl, with sunroof and nav. I was very pleased with the car and the way in which my dealer handled the transaction including my trade-in.

For those who are interested in such things, I ordered my car in mid-August and it took quite awhile before the dealer got his allocation. Once the allocation was done, the build did not take long at all.

I was a bit disappointed that there is no protection for the gas tank via an interior lock/release system of some sort. I did know there was no homelink. I also thought Pandora was going to be made available, but it did not appear on my DIC. I would have paid extra for Xenons...led's on the back would have been cool, but I knew these things weren't available when I ordered. I haven't owned a GM car before, but I wanted to give the company a shot at providing a quality economic SUV.

The build quality is fine; the gold mist metallic finish is beautiful. I did not see any particular problems. I haven't put on many miles yet, but the car is fun to drive and comfortable. I have the Brownstone/Black interior and the red stitching is attractive and well done.

Then, I heard this morning on the news that there is a recall on TPMS on new Equinoxes. I don't know if mine is involved. I didn't get the impression from the broadcast that it was all of them. So, my saga with my 'Nox begins.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
According to the report Terrains and Equinoxes built between July 18 and September 6 are being recalled.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
fa7505 said:
Why are they being recalled?
From what I've read, the TPMS is supposed to set a warning flag when tire pressure drops by 5 PSI from door sticker, and it wasn't doing that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here's the bulletin text:

Vehicle Make / Model:

Model Year(s):
2012 CHEVROLET / EQUINOX

2012 GMC / TERRAIN

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS LLC

Mfr's Report Date: OCT 18, 2011

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V511000

NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: TIRES:pRESSURE MONITORING AND REGULATING SYSTEMS

Potential Number of Units

Affected: 33,964

Summary:
GENERAL MOTORS (GM) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 CHEVROLET EQUINOX AND GMC TERRAIN VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 18, 2011, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 6, 2011, FOR FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NUMBER 138, "TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM" (TPMS). THE TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM IS DESIGNED TO ILLUMINATE THE TIRE PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT WHEN THE PRESSURE IN A TIRE IS 25% BELOW THE RECOMMENDED COLD TIRE PRESSURE. ON THESE VEHICLES, THE LIGHT WILL NOT ILLUMINATE UNTIL THE TIRE PRESSURE IS MORE THAN 25% BELOW THE RECOMMENDED COLD TIRE PRESSURE.

Consequence:
UNDERINFLATED TIRES CAN RESULT IN TIRE OVERLOADING AND OVERHEATING, WHICH COULD LEAD TO A BLOWOUT AND POSSIBLE CRASH. THE RESULTING CRASH COULD CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY. UNDERINFLATED TIRES CAN ALSO RESULT IN PREMATURE OR IRREGULAR WEAR, POOR HANDLING, AND POOR FUEL ECONOMY.

Remedy:
GM DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE BODY CONTROL MODULE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 AND GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.

Notes:
GM'S SAFETY RECALL NUMBER IS 11261. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

·
Registered
91 Posts
GoldieNox said:
For those who are interested in such things, I ordered my car in mid-August and it took quite awhile before the dealer got his allocation. Once the allocation was done, the build did not take long at all.
Out of curosity, when did the build process actually begin?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ptco911 said:
Out of curosity, when did the build process actually begin?
I got a 3300 notification Oct 1; a 3400 on Oct 3 and 3800 (Build complete) on 10/11.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! I would be willing to look into the recall information for you with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Congratulations on your purchase! I would be willing to look into the recall information for you with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Thanks for your interest. My car was just built and does not fall within the July 18-Sept 6 time period.

·
Registered
89 Posts
GoldieNox said:
Thanks for your interest. My car was just built and does not fall within the July 18-Sept 6 time period.
GoldieNox, I am shopping for almost the exact car you purchased. I had a 2010 with NAV, but it was totaled.
Please let us know what you think of the new NAV. Congrats on your new ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fullcourt said:
GoldieNox, I am shopping for almost the exact car you purchased. I had a 2010 with NAV, but it was totaled.

I don't think I will be of much help to you because I have no experience with the NAV in an older Equinox. I can say it is easy to use and visibility of the screen is good. My previous car had NAV, but it wasn't a touch screen. I haven't yet decided which I prefer. The non-touch screen NAV was voice activated.

I did get the premium sound system and the quality of the sound that comes out of it is outstanding, IMHO.

Thanks on the congrats...it was hard to wait all those weeks for my car and then seeing the constraints for the 4 cyl engine while I waited. Tough on a person sometime. ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
fullcourt said:
I love the NAV in the nox. The touch screen is great and easy to use. I was on the fence on even getting it and now I am very glad that I stepped up.

Jake

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought 2012 1lt few days ago and seems like i have tire pressure problem.I have put air twice and all wheels keep loosing it.Anyone have similar problem? I read somewhere about recall on that issue.But no official word from either Gm or dealer.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
mmmbot said:
I bought 2012 1lt few days ago and seems like i have tire pressure problem.I have put air twice and all wheels keep loosing it.Anyone have similar problem? I read somewhere about recall on that issue.But no official word from either Gm or dealer.
If they are alll losing pressure, sounds like it is the TPMS at fault. Hard to figure that all 4 tires would lose air simultaneously - too low of a probability !

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
mmmbot said:
I would be happy to look into this for you. Have you contacted your local dealer? Please feel free to contact me directly with the last eight of your VIN for more assistance. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My wife loves here's. I just ordered the HID upgrade for it. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts