1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
977 Posts
The 4 cyl. uses a filiment that fits in a plastic housing. The filter media is exposed. I don't have a 6 cyl. so I guess it has a metal filter like those cut up in the videos.

I 've also noticed that the canned filters (Alondg with filiments) from the same company can come from different countries so each model filter can be dirrerent too, Be nice to see the filters made for the 6 cyl cut like this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RNOX said:
The 4 cyl. uses a filiment that fits in a plastic housing. The filter media is exposed. I don't have a 6 cyl. so I guess it has a metal filter like those cut up in the videos.

I 've also noticed that the canned filters (Alondg with filiments) from the same company can come from different countries so each model filter can be dirrerent too, Be nice to see the filters made for the 6 cyl cut like this.
Yes the 2.4 uses a cartridge filter like this one below.But my point is build quality from the brands.

·
Registered
977 Posts
RAW2u said:
Yes the 2.4 uses a cartridge filter like this one below.But my point is build quality from the brands.
I know your point. Just does not apply to the 4 cyl on the Nox and Terrain. The filter filiment you pictured looks like a Wix. The Wix has just little tabs on the bottom. The OEM which ia AC/Delco on the box but when you look at the filter it is made by Hengest. The only obviousdifference is that that AC/Delco does not have little tabs. I don't know if that makes it better than the other. I prefer the OEM. I can't judge the filtering material.

Even WITHIN brands the indiviual filters are sourced from different countries and vendors. The 4 cyl is not made by AC/DELCO but by another company.

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
Lots of choices out there regarding oil filters. Most of those in the know say skip the Orange can from Fram. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Better filters for that money are out there. Purolator, Bosch, Mobil-l, etc....
Watch for sales.
I use the Fram Tough Guard filter; a better filter for the money than the 'Orange can of death'.

AND I am a nut for oversize filters as well. More media, better flow, and holding capacity.
They don't cost any more than the regular size ones either.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Here is another great page on oil filters.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

I use the Purolator Pure-one filter in all my vehicles now. I always used the mobile 1 filter but I found the Pure-ones on sale for $5.00 each online. I replace the filter every 3000 miles and the oil every 6000 miles.
Go to a auto part store and hold a pure-one in one hand and another brand in the other hand. The choice will be a piece of cake to make.

Here is a shot of the filter for my I4 and the V6 in my Saturn Vue

·
Registered
626 Posts
Someone out there cut open a ton of oil filters, and the basic Fram models looked like junk. The AC-Delco filter was surprisingly well-regarded, especially for the price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts