GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used a couple of different USB thumb drives in my 2012 Terrain because I got a drive with a much smaller form factor. I have also used an iPod Touch to host music. The problem I now have is that the stereo apparently keeps its own index of play lists, albums, etc. so I have many copies of almost every kind of list to wade through. Does anybody have any idea how to clear all play list, albums, etc. and force a re-index?

·
Registered
289 Posts
When you solve this let me know because my Ipod is missing 3000 songs (well, the radio says it is) and I can't figure out how to get it to refind them. I still haven't gone to a dealer over it yet because I'm not wasting 2 hours just for this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still no luck tracking this down. I would settle with just doing a complete wipe of the radio system and reprogram all of my XM stations.

Every list has everything at least tripled.

e.g. When I open any of the following I see:

Artists:
Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd
Queen
Queen
Queen

Albums
Dark Side of the Moon
Dark Side of the Moon
Dark Side of the Moon
Animals
Animals
Animals

Same thing with play lists. I just want to wipe out every index in the system. Any ideas of either how to do it or who to contact that might know?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't seen anything in the radio settings that lets me do that though I may just be missing it somehow. That is the first thing I looked for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
what year/model do you have? i just the 2012 1LT nox with the touchscreen radio- the reset to factory settings is located at the end of the menu

·
Registered
289 Posts
fun4stuff said:
resetting radio to factory settings (within radio settings) doesn't work?
I see that as a bad solution when all one wants to do is re-index the device. There should be a force re-index. I'm about to download a bunch more songs onto my ipod that I recently downloaded so I'll see what mine does then. Mine is only showing half my music at this current time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GMC "support" was completely useless

GMC's supposed support was completely useless. I got the typical offshore person with the fake name whose entire job is to go through a flow chart whose nodes always end at take it to the dealer.

All I need is to speak to a technical person (i.e. not a first level help desk drone who has zero technical knowledge) to find out how to reset the head unit's indices for the USB. There absolutely has to be a way to do that. I should not have to take time out of my day to drive to a dealer who also probably doesn't have somebody that knows how to do that.

The closest I have gotten to finding a reset is that in the radio menu there is a section where you can perform an OS update if you have the right file or set of files on a USB. I feel sure that if I could get those files I would be able to reset it. There also may be some procedure when you start the car and turn on the radio where you hold down a button or 2 to start the reset.

Argh. This stuff isn't rocket science. Why in the world do they make it so difficult?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Re: GMC "support" was completely useless

EdC said:
GMC's supposed support was completely useless. I got the typical offshore person with the fake name whose entire job is to go through a flow chart whose nodes always end at take it to the dealer.

All I need is to speak to a technical person (i.e. not a first level help desk drone who has zero technical knowledge) to find out how to reset the head unit's indices for the USB. There absolutely has to be a way to do that. I should not have to take time out of my day to drive to a dealer who also probably doesn't have somebody that knows how to do that.

The closest I have gotten to finding a reset is that in the radio menu there is a section where you can perform an OS update if you have the right file or set of files on a USB. I feel sure that if I could get those files I would be able to reset it. There also may be some procedure when you start the car and turn on the radio where you hold down a button or 2 to start the reset.

Argh. This stuff isn't rocket science. Why in the world do they make it so difficult?
I wonder if Pioneer tech support would be more useful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do think Pioneer tech support would hold more promise but I haven't had any luck figuring out who deals with radios that are pre-installed in vehicles. Their online section I have found is just a bare bones sales page.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Re: GMC "support" was completely useless

EdC said:

Has your concern been resolved? I would be happy to look into this for you as well with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Cusotmer Service.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am having the same issue in my 2012 Terrain. Please let me know if you find a solution.

2012 GMC Terrain SLT2 Carbon Black/Gray interior

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did a 8gig cruzer scandisk usb flashdrive because I was having the same problem with my Itouch and I filled the flahdrive and it has no doubles like the Itouch did so I think it might be with software complications with the unit and apple. I'm going to get a 16gig if that works I might have to try a 32

·
Registered
33 Posts
i've had the same problem. Terrain since last September. Dealership kept pointing fingers at the Ipod compatibility. So I started out with an Itouch2g, traded it in for an Itouch4g(caused radio to lockup, would not index), and finally exchanged that for a 160gb IPod Classic. My Classic shows 1165 songs and the radio shows over 2400. Some are doubled and some are tripled. The Alpha sorting is also frustrating. You can't listen to a live album the way it was recorded or a seamless album where song blend into each other. You almost catch yourself taking your eyes off the road to much. So for now untill problem is corrected I just put my favorites into playlists and listen that way. Due for an oilchange next month and I will bring up this issue again.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Flash, you saved me some money. The dealer gave me one suggestion of buying an Ipod for music only as I use an ipod touch and have music, movies, apps, etc on it. So I have been craigslist shopping for a cheap ipod classic but looks like I can stop now. To me it sounds like a huge issue with the way it's indexing which puzzles me why it even needs to as the ipod indexes itself.

I hope GM comes up with an update soon. I was going to actually have them check when I take it in for my first oil change sometime next month. Otherwise it's only been email talk of the issue and they say I'm not the first issue with it that they've heard and they haven't found a solution (since they believe it's software related and not hardware) but have forwarded them onto GM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I changed out a Cruzer for an HP and it seems to have solved the problem. From what I can tell the head unit's USB support isn't what it should be. I ran full diagnostics on the Cruzer and there isn't anything wrong with it at all. Using a different drive works and I can live with it but it is kind of ridiculous that they can't figure out how to build their head unit OS to support the USB 2 standard that has been around for a VERY long time.

For all I know this will happen again with the HP thumb drive. It is also ridiculous that there isn't any way to clear the indices through the menu. I realize this is a Pioneer issue but if I'm someone in charge at GMC no way do I let the helpless desk behave in a way that they make zero effort to diagnose a problem that is apparently widespread. Go see the dealer is not acceptable.

I did use an iPod touch for awhile but so far if the index problem doesn't come up again the thumb drive solution is far superior to the iPod solution for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Within 3 hours of getting my 2012 Equinox home, I had added music to my Sony MP3 player (I had been listening to it through the usb port in the Nox on the ride home). Ran out to the garage, plugged in the MP3 player and I had duplicates of all of my music files. I reformatted the MP3 player, reinstalled my music....and I still had duplicates. The next day, I purchased a 16g flash drive (great price at Wal-Mart...$17). Loaded it up with music and NO duplicates. Since then, I have added music to the flash drive multiple times and I have not had any more duplicate files. Not sure why this works...just glad the problem has gone away!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just downloaded all my music to My Iphone4s and so far everything looks perfect. But It did at first with my 160GB classic. I wonder if there is some kind of setting on the classic i'm missing. I did a system restore and reloaded all the music and it still triples all the songs on the radio. Even changed USB cables. What's funny is the first couple of weeks I had it it worked flawless. I would like to see a for sure list of compatible Apple products.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the same problem. Tried to change things on my iPod side, and now the 'Nox won't even recognize my iPod. Switched to the USB drive full time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts