GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Mud Flaps

32K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ImminentFailure 
#1 ·
Did some searching around here and only saw the one type of flaps that look like hard plastic.. Anyone on here have pics of their flaps and or know what the best types are for the Terrain?? Thanks.

#4 ·
I put the factory ones on the front of our Terrain. You only have to drill a couple of holes in the plastic inner fender. They look great and work great. No need to remove the tire on the front for the install.

#5 ·
No drilling required.

Pop the fastners out and then the plastic base. Pull back the wheel and mount the metal clips. Screws line up and go through the clips.

#7 ·
tsduke said:
How do they install? Did you have to make new holes for the screws?
As stated you do need to drill a few holes but it's into the plastic liner. No drilling into metal. All screws, clips, etc. are included with the mud guards. It's all explained in the directions.

Also, I installed mine front and rear without removing the tires. I used a small right angle screwdriver for the rear and it worked just fine. You just turn the wheels on the fronts and have clear access.

#8 ·
i installed my fronts and the one time i had the tires off for rotation i forgot to ask them to install the rears. one of these days i'll get them on there.

#9 ·
NY_Joe said:
No drilling required.

Pop the fastners out and then the plastic base. Pull back the wheel and mount the metal clips. Screws line up and go through the clips.
I'm curious. Are you not drilling the holes to make the install easier or do the first generation of these mud guards not have drilling required in the installation guide? My installation guide clearly states to drill holes on the front and rears. It makes the mud guards much more secure than not drilling.

Maybe this was added on the newer mudguards?

#10 ·
#13 ·
WD80PD said:
Did some searching around here and only saw the one type of flaps that look like hard plastic.. Anyone on here have pics of their flaps and or know what the best types are for the Terrain?? Thanks.
Here's what the OEM GM flaps look like on a 2014 SLT2 w/ 19" wheels.

Attachments

#14 ·
#15 ·
Was going to make a new thread, but this one seems active and has a good amount of info.

** 2010-2015 GMC Terrain - GM # 19170503 Splash Guards / Mud Guards - Front & Rear Molded Set - Gray with GMC Logo on Rear Set **

Price: Dealer price as of 3/01/15 - $90+tax. Currently available on Ebay for $74-78 w/ free shipping.

Dealer Install: Official GM install price is $85, bills at 1 hour of labor. Might be negotiable at a discount if you do it during a tire rotation as they will want to remove the back tires. Self installation takes about an hour.

Self install: Drilling and removal of the tires is not truly necessary. Drilling the holes in the underside of the vehicle as well as the front tires (turn them out of the way) is easy enough. For the rears invest in a right handed screw driver or ratchet system to avoid needing to remove the tires. Something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-right-angle-screwdriver-92630.html
The screws included are sharp enough to bite and self tap the plastic modeling. There is no screwing or drilling into metal. The holes on the mud guards are pre-drilled.
[smg id=713]
[smg id=714]
[smg id=715]
[smg id=716]
[smg id=717]
[smg id=718]

-----OFFICIAL GM INSTALL BOOKLET-----

Front Fender Mud Flap
Qty Description
1 Left Hand Mud Flap
1 Right Hand Mud Flap
4 #10 Spring Clips
8 #10 x 3/4" Screws
1 Alcohol Wipes

Tools Required
• #2 Phillips Screwdriver
• Drill
• 3/32' (2.5mm) Drill Bit
• Center Punch/Hammer
• Flat Blade Screwdriver
• Clean Cloth/Rag

[smg id=711]
Installation Procedure

Note: Turning of front wheels to the left or right will allow for additional clearance when installing the mud flaps.
1. Clean and degrease body panel (10) where front fender mud flaps (9) are to be located.
2. Using 50% alcohol and water, clean area to be taped.
Note: Parts and vehicle temperature must be between 61°F and 86°F (16°C and 31°C).
3. Remove existing push-pins from mounting holes (6),(8).
Note: Install supplied spring clips with turned up edge on inside of panel edge.
4. Pull liner (11) forward and install supplied spring clips (4) over mounting holes (6),(8).
5. Mount front fender mud flap (9) and install supplied screws (1) to mounting holes (6),(8) while holding front fender mud flap (9) up and into body panel (10).
6. While holding front fender mud flap (9) firmly against body panel (10), mark and drill 3/32' (2.5mm) center pilot holes in locations (5),(7), use front fender mud flap (9) as template.
7. While holding front fender mud flap (9) firmly against body panel (10), install the supplied screws (2) to mounting holes (5),(7)
Note: Do not overtighten screws.
8. Push front fender mud flap (9) forward and pull tape liner off using tab (3) and apply twenty to thirty pounds of pressure along tape length to ensure contact.
9. Repeat procedure for other side.
Note: Mud flaps can be cleaned with any commercially available cleaner.

Rear Mud Flap
Qty Description
1 Left Hand Mud Flap
1 Right Hand Mud Flap
6 #10 Spring Clips
6 #10 x 3/4" Screws
2 Alcohol Wipes

Tools Required
• #2 Phillips Screwdriver
• Drill
• ¼ (6.3mm) Drill Bit
• Flat Blade Screwdriver
• Clean Cloth/Rag

[smg id=712]
Installation Procedure
1. Clean and degrease body panel (12) where rear mud flaps (10) are to be located.
2. Using 50% alcohol and water, clean area to be taped.
Note: Parts and vehicle temperature must be between 61°F and 86°F (16°C and 31°C).
3. Remove existing push-pin from mounting hole (9)
Note: Install supplied spring clips with turned up edge on inside of panel edge.
4. Pull liner (13) forward and install supplied spring clip (4) over mounting hole (9).
5. Mount rear mud flap (10) and position inner tab behind liner (13). Installed supplied screw (1) to mounting hole (9), while holding rear mud flap (10) up and into body panel (12).
6. While holding rear mud flap (10) firmly against body panel (12), mark and drill ¼" (6.2mm) mounting holes in location (6),(8), use rear mud flap (10) as template.
7. Install supplied screws (2),(11) to mounting holes (6),(8), use spring clips (5),(7) as nuts. Tighten screws (1),(2),(11) while holding rear mud flap (10) firmly against body panel (12).
8. Push rear mud flap (10) forward and pull tape liner off using tab (3) and apply twenty to thirty pounds of pressure along tape length to ensure contact.
9. Repeat procedure for other side.
Note: Mud flaps can be cleaned with any commercially available cleaner.
-----------------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.