GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2010 LT1 4L AWD for a few weeks now and am loving it more every day. Here are the mileage logs calculated by refueling; first tank 25 mpg, second tank 26.88 mpg, Today total mileage is 1,254 tank was 15.84 gal and 451.7 miles = 28.5 mpg pretty impressive for a 3,925# vehicle. Driving is about 30/70 with the last tank being 15/85 city / HWY.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Seems pretty good.

I dont like trusting the DIC because it seems to overcompensate if you're idling. We've seen 17.9 MPG on our Malibu when our hand calculation was 23.4.

If you check it, keep it the same. Dont flip flop.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think its over complicating it most of the time. The expansion rate of gasoline is pretty low and the fact that its stored underground means it rarely sees too much expansion.

For instance, let’s say that Consumer C pumps 20 gallons at Retailer D’s gas station, and
assume that the actual temperature of the gasoline is 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and the
consumer is paying $3.50 per gallon. Due to the thermal expansion of gasoline, the
retailer only had to deliver 19.59 temperature adjusted gallons to make 20 gallons at 90
degrees. The consumer, therefore, paid the retailer a premium on top of his costs for the
gasoline and station operation, profit and excise taxes of $1.44. Stated another way, the
consumer effectively paid about $3.57 per gallon, not the advertised $3.50.
Taken from: http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/resources/DPReportHotFuelUSAJune07.pdf

Basically, the fuel expansion is pretty small. 2% is not a big number at all. I more miffed that I pay taxes on that 2% rather than not getting the same amount of fuel.

Like I said, if you do it one way, keep it that way.

However, on the forum, it will be easier to compare with the DIC as people have different filling habits. Some stop at the first click and others go to a complete fill.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
SnowItch said:
In my area the bigger problem is the calibration. Hushed up scandal recently were several dealers were paying money under the table for pumps to be calibrated in their favor. They got caught because they got greedy and someone realized that they had four fill-ups where the fill-up exceeded the capacity of their gas tank.
Yup. The Dept of Commerce doesnt check the fuel pumps enough for my liking as well. Once a year is never enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW the DIC has been too optimistic by about 1 - 1.5 mpg, unless the pumps are shorting me? example my last reading was DIC 29.8 and I calculated 28.5, before that it was DIC 28.9 and it calculated to 26.82 (349.5 miles / 13.03 gals). My last tank was 15% urban / 85% HWY. I did notice that the NOX Drafts very well and you will see levels in the mid to upper 30s to 40+ for long stretches of miles. I took a 90 mile trip this week and left with the DIC at 30 mpg (3/4 tank) and traveled 75 miles per hour most of the trip, it cost me two mpg when I arrived. The trip back was easy so I was able to recapture 2 mpg by going 60 -65 and following a few trucks. I have hit 30.5 on the average mpg DIC with some suburban driving.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
I suppose you could carry this to an extreme and feel that your electricity and gas or oil supplier is also "shorting" you. When is the last time that your home meters were calibrated ? Probably never. And you cell phone minutes, and gallons of milk and pounds of meat - at some point you need to trust the "system" !

Sure, there are dis-honest people out there, but for the most part, the penalty outweighs the reward.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My wife's driving nets her a solid 25 MPG on her 'Nox with mostly city driving and a small amount of highway on her daily commute. I4 FWD. We're barely out of break-in at 1500 miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An observation made on the fuel economy of the vehicle; to get the best mpg's out the vehicle you need to finesse it. To finesse the vehicle you need to keep an eye on the instant mpg as well develop a rhythm with the vehicle to apply power in adequate fashion and lift power off the throttle to upshift when you want so you get to the tallest gear possible and set cruise if conditions allow it. Coasting does play a role in the overall fuel economy and can provide some nice results. I know some of this may seem pointless to some but I consider it kind of a game to keep you interactive with the vehicle and to provide for practice when gas goes up to $4 - $5 bucks a gallon at some point down the road. FWIW my wife took it over the weekend on a 160 mile each way trip mostly highway and she only got 22 to 24 mpg, today I filled up because I drove about 500 miles since Monday and got 28.4 MPG on 17.15 gallons and 487 miles (29 Hwy w/AWD it a bit of a challenge). Oil change at 3,000 miles and switched to Mobil 1.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We made our first trip from our home (New Orleans) to where we work (Houston) today. We traveled 348.2 miles at an average speed of 64 (had cruise set on 71) and got 32.1 MPG. The Nox was purchased on 4/30/10.

Not bad for the first outing. Especially being my Avalanche was only 17 MPG for the same trip.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Was the 32 MPG a calculated, or from the DIC? Most people have experienced that the DIC reports about 1-2 MPG high. Not sure why, though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It was from the DIC. Even if it was 1 to 2 MPG high I am very pleased. The next trip back I will do the calculation myself also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm kind of curious to see how the AWD & FWD compare overall, I don't think the penalty is as high as the EPA say's for AWD. I filled up this morning and in about 20 miles of highway the DIC was at 33, it dropped down to 29.5 with some urban driving, still not to bad.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought gas this morning and it calculated to 30.7 with some city driving (68 miles). Apparently the gas gauge is off some. It shows I had only an 1/8 of a tank, but I could only get 13.5 gallons into it. The dealer filled it up when we bought it and it only had 4 miles on it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've noticed that about the guage in both our 'Nox and Traverse. The gauge reads lower than is actually in the tank, i.e. the tank has more gas. If it were to read wrong, at least it's in a good direction, and won't get me into trouble.

·
Registered
137 Posts
4 Months old 2800 miles about 25% highway, spirited in town driving constantly shifting between eco and regular and also ( a few times a week) running thru 3 or 4 gears in M mode shifting up to 6000+ rpm's. Average MPG is now an even 20..... Used to be about 24 but that was driving very easy. Also just changed oil to PU 5w30. DIC is saying 21.4.
Also, at steady 50-55 the dic (instant) will read 32-34 mpg . Go to 70-75 in will drop 7-8 mpg reading on the instant dic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts