GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the numerous MPG complaints on older threads for the 2010/2011 2.4L I4's, I was wondering if those with the new for 2012 Engine, 2.4L DOHC 4-cylinder SIDI
(Spark Ignition Direct Injection) are seeing any any MPG change from what the previous 2.4L version owners are getting?

With a total of 1350 miles on the clock, My MPG's are as follows:

1/25/12 - Hand calculated avg mpg came to 22.78 MPG. The DIC indicated 22.8 MPG with a 26.3 avg miles per hour for a 380 mile distance.
2/03/12 - Hand calculated avg mpg came to 25.40 MPG. The DIC indicated 28.0 MPG with a 33.6 avg miles per hour for a 396 mile distance.

I know the MPG's are not "great" for an I4, but a lot of my driving is city traffic, probably 50% based on the avg DIC Avg MPH. I think if I was 100% HWY, the #'s would be "GREAT" !!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Re: 2012 2.4L DOHC 4-cylinder SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection) --- MPG's ??

FWD or AWD?

Good question too..Im curious to see how the 2012's are doing..

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Re: 2012 2.4L DOHC 4-cylinder SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection) --- MPG's ??

His signature says FWD.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

oops,,should have known better...

but I think it should be noted which one (or both) we are talking about..

·
Registered
289 Posts

Here are mine calculated via the Mileage app with Android.

I have 1541 miles on mine purchased Jan 3. I have gotten 22.89, 24.68, and 22.08 MPG. Interesting the 24.68 was when I filled up with 1/4 tank left, the other two were when the low fuel light came on. My current tank will be skewed because I did a slight highway test making a long highway drive and the DIC showed 34 for that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

FWD & AWD, I4 DI - I was thinking it would be good to see if the new DI has helped at all with the MPG's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only have 510 miles on mine but it is getting 22.8 . I only drive 7 miles each way to work so all city driving

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have gone close to 5000 and I am averaging 24 mpg overall (hand calculated, using driving diary). Lowest MPG I had was all-city and was 21.8, highest was all-highway and I got 26.8. Mixed I usually get 23.5-24.5

·
Registered
52 Posts
I only have 800 miles on our nox but first tank of gas 85% city driving 15% got 24.8 mpg calculator, computor said 24.7 next tank 80% highway 20% City got 28.7 calculator, 28.5 computor. So no complaints, pleasently supprised. All this mileage in ECO mode.
By the way when my low fuel light came on it took 15.5 gal og gas. Can't wait to go on a trip to find out how many mpg all highway.
I have no complaints so far driving in ECO mode.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Don 1948 said:
I only have 800 miles on our nox but first tank of gas 85% city driving 15% got 24.8 mpg calculator, computor said 24.7 next tank 80% highway 20% City got 28.7 calculator, 28.5 computor. So no complaints, pleasently supprised. All this mileage in ECO mode.
By the way when my low fuel light came on it took 15.5 gal og gas. Can't wait to go on a trip to find out how many mpg all highway.
I have no complaints so far driving in ECO mode.
WOW - I'm impressed. Sounds like you got a "good one".

Congrats...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don I also have keep mine in echo mode all the time wonder how many others just leave it in or use it only on highway or in town?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I stopped using the ECO mode on my 2011...only time I used it was when I was on a long highway trip.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
EquinoxFF1063 said:
I filled my tank with Premium this time, I'll see if it improves anything.
If it does, then either you are driving it differently, or else you are defying the laws of physics, because premium gas and regular gas contain the same amount of BTUs (energy), so there is no reason for it to improve. But, please report back...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Always thought the higher Octane levels caused it to fire differently, more energy? Well, I mainly drive a diesel, can't say I know much about gasoline these days, so it's a one time shot to see if anything changes because I'm not in the habit of paying 40 cents more a gallon of gas. As far as driving, I drive the same route everyday, and I've been driving like a turtle, so we'll see.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
EquinoxFF1063 said:
Always thought the higher Octane levels caused it to fire differently, more energy? Well, I mainly drive a diesel, can't say I know much about gasoline these days, so it's a one time shot to see if anything changes because I'm not in the habit of paying 40 cents more a gallon of gas. As far as driving, I drive the same route everyday, and I've been driving like a turtle, so we'll see.
Some cars will produce more HP when using high test vs regular, but I don't believe the NOX will. I don't think that the mileage should increase, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best: 28.5 mpg
Worst: 19.8 mpg
Average: 22.8 mpg (14 fillups)

I do lots of city driving, get stuck in traffic jams, and experience cold weather where I live. I've only done one road trip on country roads, and I could see the potential of reaching the EPA numbers once the engine is broke in (and in warmer weather).

If you are really bored, I track my mileage via fuelly where you can see my average mpg and mph. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/flats/equinox

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm averaging 30.8 mpg with about 1300 miles on the 'Nox. Mostly 2 lane highway (55-60 mph) with a 100 mile round trip commute daily.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
nice...Im really starting to think, they have the I-4 running nice for 2012!

·
Registered
241 Posts
wrusprod said:
nice...Im really starting to think, they have the I-4 running nice for 2012!
I'm very pleased with mine and getting very close to the 22/32 advertised MPG

1 - 20 of 61 Posts