GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip through TN, KY, IL, IN, MO, and IA. The total miles was just over 1,800, our 11 Terrain has the I4. MPG's were better that I had hoped for. Here is some detail about each tank full... All mpg figures are by math, not from the DIC, which actually read low on each tank full... our Terrain turned 5k miles during the trip

Tank 1.... About 80% interstate and 20% state highways. When the speed limit was 70 I ran 72-73 in the 65 zones I ran 69... Temps were in the 70's to low 80's the AC was on about 40% of the time. Almost made it to 600 miles on this tank full, 584 total miles and ended up with 30.7 mpg... The avg speed was 64.3 mph. I was temped to try to get to 600 miles but the low fuel warnings had been on for a while.. BTW I was able to squeeze 19.0 gallons into the tank, so I guess I was about to run out...

Tank 2... 100% state highway (mostly MO Hwy 61), speed limits were 45-65 with just 3-4 traffic lights.... I stayed about 5 mph above the posted speeds.... 33.8 mpg on this tank full avg speed was 58.3 mph... No AC on this segement, it was in the 70's...

Tank 3... All small town or country driving between 3 small town's in north east Iowa... 25.3 MPG Avg speed 37.2 mph

Tank 4 ... Temps in the 90's and windy, all interstate driving. We went 523 miles before filling up. 29.5 mpg avg speed 63.7 AC on full time...

Tank 5... All interstate driving except for about 10 miles... 31.0 mpg ... avg speed 67.6 mph temps in the 90's AC on full time..

After filling up tank 1, the range on the DIC said 580 miles.. I took a pic, will post it after I get it uploaded..

Also, all tires were filled with Nitrogen to 37 lbs cold and ran at 39 when hot...

I gotta say I was totally pleased with the ride, the comfort, the handling and the mpg's we got on this trip, but I did hate driving on the gravel roads in IA...

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
LS3Vette said:
Just got back from a trip through TN, KY, IL, IN, MO, and IA. The total miles was just over 1,800, our 11 Terrain has the I4. MPG's were better that I had hoped for. Here is some detail about each tank full... All mpg figures are by math, not from the DIC, which actually read low on each tank full... our Terrain turned 5k miles during the trip

Tank 1.... About 80% interstate and 20% state highways. When the speed limit was 70 I ran 72-73 in the 65 zones I ran 69... Temps were in the 70's to low 80's the AC was on about 40% of the time. Almost made it to 600 miles on this tank full, 584 total miles and ended up with 30.7 mpg... The avg speed was 64.3 mph. I was temped to try to get to 600 miles but the low fuel warnings had been on for a while.. BTW I was able to squeeze 19.0 gallons into the tank, so I guess I was about to run out...

Tank 2... 100% state highway (mostly MO Hwy 61), speed limits were 45-65 with just 3-4 traffic lights.... I stayed about 5 mph above the posted speeds.... 33.8 mpg on this tank full avg speed was 58.3 mph... No AC on this segement, it was in the 70's...

Tank 3... All small town or country driving between 3 small town's in north east Iowa... 25.3 MPG Avg speed 37.2 mph

Tank 4 ... Temps in the 90's and windy, all interstate driving. We went 523 miles before filling up. 29.5 mpg avg speed 63.7 AC on full time...

Tank 5... All interstate driving except for about 10 miles... 31.0 mpg ... avg speed 67.6 mph temps in the 90's AC on full time..

After filling up tank 1, the range on the DIC said 580 miles.. I took a pic, will post it after I get it uploaded..

Also, all tires were filled with Nitrogen to 37 lbs cold and ran at 39 when hot...

I gotta say I was totally pleased with the ride, the comfort, the handling and the mpg's we got on this trip, but I did hate driving on the gravel roads in IA...
Wow! I'm straight up drooling over those numbers... I'm hoping the dealership offers me a HPFP replacement as an option today (given my low MPGs and the dreaded engine start up rattle discussed in other threads). I just hate hearing, "well, it depends on your driving style, road grade, conditions, etc." - especially when I know I'm driving with a feather foot and with the intent of getting maximum MPGs - thus 20MPG w/ 75hwy 25city driving, never exceeding 65mph, eco mode on, etc. on the I4 FWD is simply not reasonable. I bought the I4 Terrain specifically to get numbers close to yours...

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
good to see the high numbers. its reassuring.

I hope to see nice numbers when we get our Nox.
Why do I expect high numbers? because Im consider myself a good driver.....
And if I can get the following out of a larger Traverse--- I hope to get similar impressive #'s from the Nox.
the following were verified with a hand calculation-- the DIC reported 29.2 hand calc was 29.
Speeds- 55-60 MPH.

after 123 miles.

After 333.8 mile roundtrip

and upon refilling...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hey buckle your seat belt when taking pictures...would ya? :hilarious:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
seatbelts... who needs seatbelts...

actually I was still at the pump when I snapped the pic- but getting ready to pull out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the report this soothes me a bit in light of all the negative mpg threads.

2 questions

1. Was ECO on or off

2. Was that a directional indicator (N, S, E, W) under the temp? I never knew the terrains had that (I am officially SOLD)!!!!!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
the pics I posted above- are from my 2010 Traverse... not a NOX or Terrain.

But yes- thats where it displays Compass in vehicles with no factory Navigation

I posted the pics because Im amazed I can attain such mileage from the 3.6 V6 Direct injection--- and I hope to get even better in my future Nox with DI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
rbarrios said:
the pics I posted above- are from my 2010 Traverse... not a NOX or Terrain.

But yes- thats where it displays Compass in vehicles with no factory Navigation

I posted the pics because Im amazed I can attain such mileage from the 3.6 V6 Direct injection--- and I hope to get even better in my future Nox with DI.
I am surprised to hear those are from a v6

and bum'd to hear those r not from the terrain. :sosad:

·
Registered
978 Posts
The Nox / Terrain have digital compasses

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Well If I can drive smart and get those #'s from a Traverse.
Im sure someone can drive smart in a terrain with the 4 or 6 cylinder.

The original posted got great numbers.
Im sure a little change here and there- and it can go up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To answer a few questions... My Terrain is FWD.... And I have had it in ECO mode since the first day of ownership.... Also when accelarating from a stop I try to get the trans to shift right at 3,000 rpm to help with the mpg's

My only complaint is the DIC, mpg's are always lower on the dic than by doing the math.. Sometimes the dic reads pertty close other times its as much as 4 mpg's low... I have read that there is a update for this issue but it is for cars built before 11/10 ours was built 12/10.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a pic from just a few miles after the 1st fill up...
went 584 miles on tank full before this shot...

·
Registered
14 Posts
These are typical MPG figures I get with our 11 Equinox I4 FWD. Best I have gotten is 31.4. Overall average since new iis 26.4 MPG. Almost 6000 miles and we are happy!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
LS3Vette said:
Also when accelarating from a stop I try to get the trans to shift right at 3,000 rpm to help with the mpg's

My only complaint is the DIC, mpg's are always lower on the dic than by doing the math.. Sometimes the dic reads pertty close other times its as much as 4 mpg's low... I have read that there is a update for this issue but it is for cars built before 11/10 ours was built 12/10.
im surprissed it goes as high as 3000 rpm. must be the I4 needing to revv higher for more tq?
I say this because in my Traverse- I also accelerate gently- and my 1-2 shift is at 1800 or so. and 2-3 at about 2200.
This is how I try to drive all the time in the residential areas. It pays off with 21-22 MPG on average with combined driving.
Data gathered from the OBDII port.

as for the DIC-- I find that if I use the same station and pump- the DIC and actual pumped amounts are very close.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just wanted to add that I think his numbers are reasonable as I have seen similar. The main reason I think most of our numbers are low is the stop and go driving and the higher than normal mph on the highway's.

When I keep my nox between 40mph and 70mph I get outstanding numbers, the hard part is keeping in that range and not hitting every traffic light.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
barhoc- youre right on the money.
The stop and go and excessive speed.

I see so many poeple complain that they get horrible mileage..
yet its these same people who run AC, who also jackrabbit to the next red light, and travel at 75-85 and say-- those window sticker numbers are BS!!!

Yeah- there are some cases where it is related to a mechanical issue...
but some people just dont realize that racing to a stop is not going to give you ideal MPG--- and that traveling at 75-80 uses up much more energy as the vehicle attempts to slice thru the wind.

Ive told people--- next time youre doing 80 stick your hand out the window- flat like an airplane wing... then slowly turn it 90 degrees...
youre now using more energy to hold your hand in place... now imagine the frontal area of your vehicle- it takes engine power to overcome that resistance...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a tiburon and still have a mazda 3i both of wich i can achieve above the "sticker" number. On my 11 awd i cant get near the "sticker" number. My driving habit hasnt changed

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
LS3Vette said:
To answer a few questions... My Terrain is FWD.... And I have had it in ECO mode since the first day of ownership.... Also when accelarating from a stop I try to get the trans to shift right at 3,000 rpm to help with the mpg's

Have you brought this discrepency to the attention of your local dealership? I would recommend conacting them for more information. Please feel free to keep me updated.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts