GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the talk and multiple posts on MPG for the Equinox and Terrain, I thought I'd post a link that may help to shed some light on why some aren't getting the MPG that they expect. Something I wasn't aware of for example is the fact that all of the EPA testing is done on a dynamometer in a lab and not on an actual road course. That keeps the variables one might encounter on the street to a bare minimum.

It seems to me that in order to achieve the EPA MPG that is shown on the window sticker one would have to drive like there is an egg between the accelerator and your foot. Every single time you drive the vehicle!

On my 3.0 V6 the window sticker has some interesting information regarding MPG.
In large type it shows the City MPG as 17 and the Highway MPG as 24. The combined Fuel Economy is shown as 19.

In much smaller type under the City MPG 17 is this: Expected range for most drivers 14 to 20 MPG and under the Highway MPG 20 it says: Expected range for most drivers 19 to 29 MPG.

So that tells me that some drivers can expect in a worse case scenario 14 City and 19 Highway for the V6 and under absolute ideal conditions 20 City to 29 Highway. That's a lot of variation from the advertised figures that are so often quoted in the ads and by the dealers.

Right now I am averaging 18.8 MPG on my 2011 LTZ with just over 2000 miles and mostly city driving. Being winter I fully expect that figure to improve somewhat when the weather warms up and as the miles increase but I don't ever expect it to achieve the maximum MPG it's capable of because of my driving style. To do that your going to have to make a conscience effort every time you drive. Also we use the remote start quite a bit and while it's idling I get 0 MPG.

I think it is summed up best by the small disclaimer on the window sticker: Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.

Anyway, here is a link with info on how they test vehicles. Some interesting info there.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
yup- I Post the window sticker of my Traverse when similar questions come up.
Im a careful driver- and like the MPG's I get in the Traverse.
When we get a Nox- well see how our mileage does.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts