GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,847 Posts
Just did a quick peek at 2021 Acadia prices at Laura GMC in Collinsville IL (the one-time price leader for these vehicles). Comparing the prices now ... to what JayTee paid exactly 2 years ago (for an SLT trim level), it appears (right now, at least) you're gonna pay about $4,000 more !!! Yikes!

For starters, the dealer discount is about $2500 less (than in 2019).

The other $1500 may be explainable with the bigger 19" wheels, and maybe some other features, but @JayTee2014 could probably do a more definitive comparison ...

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Some of the increase may be from the price gouging due to the chip shortage. I have a feeling this chip shortage is going to result in sticky prices like we have with meat, and just about everything else on the market shelves.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Just did a quick peek at 2021 Acadia prices at Laura GMC in Collinsville IL (the one-time price leader for these vehicles). Comparing the prices now ... to what JayTee paid exactly 2 years ago (for an SLT trim level), it appears (right now, at least) you're gonna pay about $4,000 more !!! Yikes!

For starters, the dealer discount is about $2500 less (than in 2019).

The other $1500 may be explainable with the bigger 19" wheels, and maybe some other features, but @JayTee2014 could probably do a more definitive comparison ...
A couple of things. . .. starting on 2020 (and 2021) SLT models. . . there was only one SLT trim rather than SLT-1 and SLT-2. I bought the SLT-1 because couldn't see spending the extra money for a few items and I really wanted the 18" wheels. Less money for replacement tires generally as well. SLT now are only 19" wheels IIRC.

Next. .. . in 2019 we got 8-way power seats for both driver and front passenger. SLT now only gives driver that feature. . . and no upgrade in SLT for that AFAIK. Have to go to Denali I believe.
However I believe the SLT now includes Driver Safety Pkg I or II . . . ? I'd rather have the 8-way power front passenger seat than some annoying nannies.

There are a couple more items like the 9 speed transmisson which is the biggest change from 2019 to 2020, but didn't matter to me and really glad we bought in 2019.
As far as prices go. . . The 2019 Acadia FWD SLT-1 we bought had a $40,785 MSRP including destination charge.
$40,785 MSRP
Discounts were:
$4,971 Laura discount
$4,096 GM current incentive
$816 GM Loyalty Cash
Total Incentive: $9,883 + $123 GM Card Reward Money = $10,006 off MSRP or $30,779

We thought it was an excellent deal at the time and I wasn't really even "shopping" for a new SUV, but came across it since some other folks on other forums mentioned GM incentives and Laura discounts were exceptional at the time.

When we saw we could upgrade from our 2015 Equinox and pay less for an Acadia than we did in 2015 for the Equinox it was a worthwhile endeavor. I liked the newer 3.6L LGX engine over the previous LFX 3.6L. I have the LGZ 3.6L variant in my 2017 Colorado truck and . . . like the LGX 3.6L V6 . . . it has the integrated internal oil separator which largely reduces engine carbon deposits on intake valves without having to buy, install and routinely empty an oil catch can. There are also other improvements mechanically and MPG is better to boot.

So yes, no dealers including Laura, have the incentives this year or even last year in 2020 . . . that were avalable 2 years ago not to mention much in inventory.

In fact, wife and I ran some errands earlier to day and our local GMC-Chevrolet-Buick-Cadillac dealer has so little stock I do no know how they are doing. The show room does not even have any vehicles that I could see through the window and we saw no sales staff that usually are outside on a nice day like today. I would say . .. they have about 15% of the usual new SUV, truck and car stock and only about 50% of the used vehicle stock that normally would be on hand. The lot looks more empty than occupied. Much empty space.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you only need room for 4 people, Acadia has a 5 passenger option with rear bench seat and no 3rd row rear seating. With that configuration it exceeds your 2012 Equinox for both rear cargo and total passenger volume.
Chevrolet Blazer also has 5 passenger seating and about the same +40 cu/ft cargo area as Acadia compared to 31.7 for 2nd Gen Equinox.

And in 2019 we got our Acadia SLT-1 FWD for $30,779 ($40,785 MSRP) with the current incentives. . . . which was less than in 2015 when we bought our Equinox with incentives.

I am not sure why you mention having to fold the 3rd row seats down as a problem if you just need room for 4 people. . . . But even if you do get an Acadia with 6 or 7 passenger option (center bench seats) and fold down the 3rd row like we do. . . . you still have 4 to 5 passenger room and much more cargo space.

View attachment 17800

So what you say is not exactly true.
And. . . in our 2019 Acadia SLT-1 3.6L V6 we are getting 21 to 22 MPG mixed city and 28 to 32 MPG on highway trips.

Acadia 5 passenger Specs:
  • Passenger Capacity: 5
  • Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 143.8 (+44 over Equinox)
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 1 (cu. ft.): 79 (+15 over Equinox)
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 2 (cu. ft.): 41.7 (+10.2 over Equinox)
2nd Gen Equinox Specs:
  • Passenger Capacity: 5
  • Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 99.7
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 1 (cu. ft.): 63.7
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 2 (cu. ft.): 31.5
Folding the third row down is usually not an option as we tend to be the main vehicle when going anywhere with friends and family. Having two carseats plus family forces us to take two vehicles anywhere, and when we try to put the double stroller in the back it just don’t fit right. Getting a bigger vehicle like suburban or Yukon XL keeps us from fitting both vehicles in the garage. I also have a chevy dully as a daily and hauler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Folding the third row down is usually not an option as we tend to be the main vehicle when going anywhere with friends and family. Having two carseats plus family forces us to take two vehicles anywhere, and when we try to put the double stroller in the back it just don’t fit right. Getting a bigger vehicle like suburban or Yukon XL keeps us from fitting both vehicles in the garage. I also have a chevy dully as a daily and hauler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure I understand. You mention your Terrain has plenty of room for a family of four and you can fit all your stuff in it. Then you say folding a 3rd row down is not an option in Acadia?
You do not have room for everyone in the Terrain then either as a main vehicle when going anywhere with friends or family.

What I'm saying is. . with the 3rd row folded down in Acadia or even a Chevy Blazer with 5 seats they still have more cargo space than a Terrain. And plenty of room for a stroller or luggage and 4 or 5 people.

Our 2019 Acadia fits in the same space as our 2015 Equinox did. The Acadia is only 6" longer and 2" wider yet has +44 more cu/ft interior volume than 2nd Gen Terrain/Equinox.

Equinox Dimensions: 188″ L x 73″ W x 66″ H Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 99.7
Acadia Dimensions: 194″ L x 75″ W x 66″ H Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 143.8

·
Registered
23 Posts
Should have got a Toyota or a Honda with a Vtech 6 cylinder engine. You would have gotten better reliability than these. After 100,000 miles find a good mechanic. I have bought GMC my whole life due to my father and brother retiring there. The dealer and me we’re on first name basis. That employee discount didn’t save me a dime after the warranty was up. This is my first foreign car that’s made in Alabama. My terrain was made in Canada. Could have bought a Honda Passport for less and rides better as well.
E5F33CDB-21AC-4E4B-9225-69D441707B21.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Should have got a Toyota or a Honda with a Vtech 6 cylinder engine. You would have gotten better reliability than these. After 100,000 miles find a good mechanic. I have bought GMC my whole life due to my father and brother retiring there. The dealer and me we’re on first name basis. That employee discount didn’t save me a dime after the warranty was up. This is my first foreign car that’s made in Alabama. My terrain was made in Canada. Could have bought a Honda Passport for less and rides better as well. View attachment 17808
My wife had a 2015 Chevy Captiva Sport with the 2.4 ecotec. After a couple years of no issues I bought a used 2015 Equinox with the same engine. Fast forward to this winter my wife's Captiva really started drinking the oil pretty much out of the blue. Only 115K miles. It'd lose over a quart on a 550 mile drive to visit her mom. It was crazy because before that it'd take about 3K miles to burn a quart. We just paid it off too. So we traded it for a 2018 RAV4 with the 2.5L. My Equinox only has 80K and doesn't have any issues. Hopefully I can keep it that way. But from now on no more GM products.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Best friends wife's '18 CRV transfer case went bad at 40k miles, and she drives like a senior and not in snow. Only good thing is he has the extended warranty and didn't get the turbo motor version that has issues.
Don't believe the hype that Honda's and Toyotas never break, all those cars in the back of the dealership are not just there for oil changes. Late '00's Honda 4 cyl. had big time oil consumption in there motors due to ring issues also.
One of my best friends is a parts mgr. at a Acura dealer, I used to think the didn't break either...

Reactions: Grum.man

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best friends wife's '18 CRV transfer case went bad at 40k miles, and she drives like a senior and not in snow. Only good thing is he has the extended warranty and didn't get the turbo motor version that has issues.
Don't believe the hype that Honda's and Toyotas never break, all those cars in the back of the dealership are not just there for oil changes. Late '00's Honda 4 cyl. had big time oil consumption in there motors due to ring issues also.
One of my best friends is a parts mgr. at a Acura dealer, I used to think the didn't break either...
I honestly would never buy a 4x4 or AWD. To me it's just one more thing that'll break. I live in the rust belt too and never needed 4WD to drive in snow, but to each his own. From my experience with 2010 and newer Chevys is that after 120K miles it's one repair after another. With Honda and Toyota if you buy the right used model with 100K miles it cost less in annual repairs than a 36K mile lease return comparable GM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad you're happy with it. We just picked up a '17 Terrain SLT with only 19k miles, mint, (and the same V6 ;)). Not the full-size beast my wife was hoping for; she'd rather have another Yukon...but I could buy 2 or 3 Terrains for the same price!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

here is how close this fits in our garage. the sink was added years ago and sticks out about 2 ft. about a foot in front and 4 inches in the back . just enough room in front to get to the other car. really like the Acadia but was also happy with the Terrain except for the no rear A/C and the 2.4 had me wondering.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That is a tight fit!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
yeah but i installed the sink years ago and could move it if needed, but it worked out.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts