GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok traded our 2017 Terrain for a larger Acadia ,oh yeah with the V6 of course This forum is one of the best. learned a lot here!! thanks everyone .its a 2018

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ok traded our 2017 Terrain for a larger Acadia ,oh yeah with the V6 of course This forum is one of the best. learned a lot here!! thanks everyone .its a 2018
Hi RIT333. . . as RIT said. . . . we did similar in 2019.

I see your post over on the Acadia forum as well. Enjoy the V6 Acadia. (y)
We find it to be a smoother and quieter ride than our 2015 Equinox LTZ and get as good or better MPG.
Here's ours below:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Congrats!

I am about ready to move on from my 2015 Equinox. The original plan was to keep it for 75,000 miles, which it would have by now if not for the pandemic. It is at 60,500 miles but starting to develop interior rattles that are slowly driving me absolutely mad. One rattle I have been chasing for 3+ years. It is in the passenger side dash somewhere and I have exhausted all options for trying to quite it with felt/foam/etc.

Considered the Acadia but not sure I want to stay with GM at this point. The new car market is kind of iffy right now, but there are some 0% for 60mo deals cropping up here and there from some of the automakers. Kind of cushions the blow of potentially having to pay more for the car itself due to supply issues.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
We traded our '17 Continental in on a '20 Traverse HC last year as AWD fits our towing/toy life better. Conti was a real nice fast and comfy cruiser but not a winter vehicle. Traverse holds a way more stuff inside than my Tahoe also.
The 'nox is my wife's ''beater'' and fuel wise the Traverse is also as good or better than the 'nox also. Equinox is in it for the long haul, coming up on '80k miles now and zero issues.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,842 Posts
@jrbartholomew : are those original, factory wheels on your 2018? I don't remember seeing that wheel design when I was shopping brand new Acadias in 2017, '18, and '19. I like them, and I like @JayTee2014 's wheels, too (which I recognize now), but I also remember seeing some really ugly wheels on a lot of the units that Laura GMC had out there in Collinsville, IL! And they were the higher-end trims, too!

@repairman54 : I'm with you on the Nox! I'm at 160,300 miles right now, and I 'ain't stopping until my Nox gets enshrined in "The 62 Club" ... 222,222 miles! Go Nox !! :giggle:

Observation: Doesn't the new Traverse and also the latest Acadia, look like an extruded version of our Gen-2 Equinoxes?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes factory wheels. here in Las Vegas with these record high temps tinted windows and rear air is a must.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im not a fan of the newer acadia/ traverse. Yes the third row would be nice but cargo space is definitely not there. Cant fit a family of suitcases or even a decent stroller. Don’t even try putting a cooler and beach equipment back there without folding the seats no down. We had a loaner for a few days while my terrain was getting a few repairs. It was a comfy ride but gas milage was only slightly better. I cant see shelling out that kind of dough for a grocery getter that can barely hold all the groceries. My ‘12 terrain has the V6 and plenty of cargo room for a family of 4. I can average 22-24 mpg highway, and I just hit 150k on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am not sure which you had as a loaner, but the Traverse is bigger than the Acadia, they used to share the same platform until a couple of years ago and the Acadia went downsize. Not many people have made comments on the size of the Traverse/Enclave as it rivals the previous generation Tahoe. I myself rented previous Gen Acadia for a trip out west and later the newer version of Acadia, definite difference in interior space, although i did not need the third row. The V6 on both was very sweet, however the Cylinder Deativate on the new Acadia did not engage above 50mph.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Im not a fan of the newer acadia/ traverse. Cant fit a family of suitcases or even a decent stroller. It was a comfy ride but gas milage was only slightly better. I cant see shelling out that kind of dough for a grocery getter that can barely hold all the groceries. My ‘12 terrain has the V6 and plenty of cargo room for a family of 4. I can average 22-24 mpg highway, and I just hit 150k on it.
If you only need room for 4 people, Acadia has a 5 passenger option with rear bench seat and no 3rd row rear seating. With that configuration it exceeds your 2012 Equinox for both rear cargo and total passenger volume.
Chevrolet Blazer also has 5 passenger seating and about the same +40 cu/ft cargo area as Acadia compared to 31.7 for 2nd Gen Equinox.

And in 2019 we got our Acadia SLT-1 FWD for $30,779 ($40,785 MSRP) with the current incentives. . . . which was less than in 2015 when we bought our Equinox with incentives.

I am not sure why you mention having to fold the 3rd row seats down as a problem if you just need room for 4 people. . . . But even if you do get an Acadia with 6 or 7 passenger option (center bench seats) and fold down the 3rd row like we do. . . . you still have 4 to 5 passenger room and much more cargo space.

So what you say is not exactly true.
And. . . in our 2019 Acadia SLT-1 3.6L V6 we are getting 21 to 22 MPG mixed city and 28 to 32 MPG on highway trips.

Acadia 5 passenger Specs:
  • Passenger Capacity: 5
  • Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 143.8 (+44 over Equinox)
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 1 (cu. ft.): 79 (+15 over Equinox)
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 2 (cu. ft.): 41.7 (+10.2 over Equinox)
2nd Gen Equinox Specs:
  • Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 99.7
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 1 (cu. ft.): 63.7
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 2 (cu. ft.): 31.5

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yep the 2nd gen. Traverse with the all the seats down looks like a hearse in the back. Can you say sheet of plywood size.
When shopping the Acadia looked like inside space was no more than my short Tahoe. Price wise Denali was less vehicle than my High Country for the same money.
Current generation of Equinox/Terrain with the smaller rear hatch and the more down sloped roof really limits what you can get in it compared to the '17 and older versions.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you only need room for 4 people, Acadia has a 5 passenger option with rear bench seat and no 3rd row rear seating. With that configuration it exceeds your 2012 Equinox for both rear cargo and total passenger volume.
Chevrolet Blazer also has 5 passenger seating and about the same +40 cu/ft cargo area as Acadia compared to 31.7 for 2nd Gen Equinox.

And in 2019 we got our Acadia SLT-1 FWD for $30,779 ($40,785 MSRP) with the current incentives. . . . which was less than in 2015 when we bought our Equinox with incentives.

I am not sure why you mention having to fold the 3rd row seats down as a problem if you just need room for 4 people. . . . But even if you do get an Acadia with 6 or 7 passenger option (center bench seats) and fold down the 3rd row like we do. . . . you still have 4 to 5 passenger room and much more cargo space.

So what you say is not exactly true.
And. . . in our 2019 Acadia SLT-1 3.6L V6 we are getting 21 to 22 MPG mixed city and 28 to 32 MPG on highway trips.

Acadia 5 passenger Specs:
  • Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 143.8 (+44 over Equinox)
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 1 (cu. ft.): 79 (+15 over Equinox)
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 2 (cu. ft.): 41.7 (+10.2 over Equinox)
2nd Gen Equinox Specs:
  • Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 99.7
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 1 (cu. ft.): 63.7
  • Cargo Volume to Seat 2 (cu. ft.): 31.5
GMC has discontinued the 5-passenger option on the Acadia starting with the 2022 model year, so unless a dealer happens to have a 5-passenger Acadia AT4 sitting around on a lot it may be very difficult to actually find one (not sure 2021s can be special ordered at this point in the model year.)

I saw some article recently that said that a majority of 3-row crossover owners keep the third row folded until they actually need to use it. Makes sense since that third can really limit cargo capacity if you are only hauling 3 or 4 passengers.

It seems like 2-row, midsized crossovers are on the way out for the most part. Automakers also seem to be consolidating trim lines to make manufacturing more efficient. This means less choice and higher prices. Buyers will have to just settle for what is being offered. If that means folding down a 3rd row seat that will never be used in an otherwise perfectly suitable vehicle, that is just the way it goes. I don't like that trend, but there is nothing that can be done about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a little more room than the Terrain . the option of a third row if needed. two big wants or needs was to get away from the 2.4 and here in Las Vegas rear A/C . we had zero issues with the 2.4 . the Acadia just fits in the garage just barely. for us its just about the right size .

·
Registered
239 Posts
When my factory warranty is up on my 2020 GMC Terrain Denali I plan on looking at the Acadia and Honda Pilot....The Terrain with the 2.0 turbo is very fast but I'm missing a V6 and would like to be able to use regular gasoline too.....I also think my 2011 Honda CRV actually had more cargo space then the Terrain.

·
Registered
281 Posts
JR congrads on the new GMC (y) (y)

I am also missing the V6 and the premium fuel just pisses me off more each time I fill the tank...

I will never be a Honda Japan foreign supporter JMO (n)(n)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I love the V6 in my Equinox, but with everything seemingly going turbocharged it doesn't seem like my next vehicle will have a V6 unless I go to a larger vehicle which I don't need. Since I don't tow, haul tons of cargo, and rarely ever have a car full of passengers, I am not averse to a turbo or a hybrid, or even a CVT transmission. Just as long as it isn't a Hyundai/Kia product. Been there, done that. There is a reason why they are less expensive. I will just leave it at that other than to say they show well, but when you peel back the layers after a few years of owning one you really start to see what is going on.

Unfortunately the current Equinox and Terrain do not appeal to me. I do not see much value in the Blazer from a price and equipment perspective. I cannot see myself in an Acadia. The Cadillac XT4 is neat, but ridiculously expensive even for a "base" AWD model. Buick Envision is an absolute no.

I have friends and family that swear by Mitsubishi, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota products. I have never owned a product from those brands, so I might give one a try next time.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,842 Posts
Im not a fan of the newer acadia/ traverse. Yes the third row would be nice but cargo space is definitely not there. Cant fit a family of suitcases or even a decent stroller. Don’t even try putting a cooler and beach equipment back there without folding the seats no down. We had a loaner for a few days while my terrain was getting a few repairs. It was a comfy ride but gas milage was only slightly better. I cant see shelling out that kind of dough for a grocery getter that can barely hold all the groceries. My ‘12 terrain has the V6 and plenty of cargo room for a family of 4. I can average 22-24 mpg highway, and I just hit 150k on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah - it all depends on what your needs are. I would've bought another Equinox if they hadn't discontinued the V6 ... because that's the right-sized vehicle for my needs (now). Not wanting the turbo-4 engine pushed me toward the Acadia initially, but I cooled my heels on that because I decided I really didn't want to pay upwards of $30k just to get a V6 in an up-sized vehicle I really didn't need. So I started seriously considering Electrics (Chevy Bolt), but then they had the battery packs catch fire, and the more I learned about the Bolt, the more I started to call it a "handi-capped" vehicle because it's not capable of being what I'd call a "#1 Car" - capable of handling all driving challenges. This is due to it's charge-time limitations. It's also on the small side, which I consider to be a safety liability with all the "monster" vehicles on the road today. I finally came to the conclusion that the Bolt is a great "commuter", with maybe some short out-of-town trip capability, but anything beyond that is 'hammering a square peg into a round hole' ... it can be done, but it's gonna be painful! And I already have a "commuter" in my 2002 Impala, which still gets 30 mpg on the highway. Why pay $20k for a replacement "commuter" just to save $500/year in fuel cost?

So I continue to drive my 2011 Equinox and 2002 Impala until the landscape changes a little more. I think I'll end up going electric (EV), but I won't over pay for one ... which means this could drag out over a few more years!

UPDATE: Just read @arcee 's post above. Sounds like we're in the same boat right now ... LOL!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
GMC has discontinued the 5-passenger option on the Acadia starting with the 2022 model year, so unless a dealer happens to have a 5-passenger Acadia AT4 sitting around on a lot it may be very difficult to actually find one (not sure 2021s can be special ordered at this point in the model year.)
I saw some article recently that said that a majority of 3-row crossover owners keep the third row folded until they actually need to use it. Makes sense since that third can really limit cargo capacity if you are only hauling 3 or 4 passengers.
Agree. . . there may not be many out there. But no matter what seating configuration in the Acadia, the point was/is. .. there is more passenger and usable cargo volume in the Acadia with the 3rd row folded down or with a 5 seat configuration than in the 2nd Gen Equinox/Terrain . . . . which is counter to member terrainnewby who I was replying to who insisted the Acadia had less space.

Which is why I also mentioned in my posting:
" But even if you do get an Acadia with 6 or 7 passenger option (center bench seats) and fold down the 3rd row like we do. . . . you still have 4 to 5 passenger room and much more cargo space. "

We use ours with the 3rd row folded down and a Husky liner cargo liner which easily will fold back up with the 3rd row seats made upright if needed.

Pictures of a C1xx Acadia interior with all seats up or 2nd and 3rd row folded down.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
also the Terrain seats in our2017 didn't fold flat. kinda odd when going to Lowes. being a retired Union member i try not to buy foreign even though im half Japanese LOL! 43 years Operating Engineers Local 12 Heavy equipment mechanic. BTW the Terrain was assembled in Canada from parts made where?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts