GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of a 2011 LTZ AWD last week. I purchased a set of chains the other day and am curious about mounting them. Should I mount tghem on the front or the back?

Thanks.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
are they actually chains or are they cables? Its my understanding that chains arent recommended on these vehicles.

I would think that on an AWD you would put them on all 4, but if you only did 2 I would put them on the front as its a (correct me if im wrong) front biased vehicle since it has a transverse mounted motor.

Im sure people who know more will chime in as I dont live in a snowy climate and I dont have an AWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are the cable chains.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,525 Posts
When only using 2 chains, they should be mounted in the rear. If they were in the front, then the rear-end would try to swing aound when braking and cornering. Stabilitrak and ABS will try to keep it in line, but it is still better to mount in the rear. Why not get 4 "chains" ? Better safe than sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
GandLW said:
Just took delivery of a 2011 LTZ AWD last week. I purchased a set of chains the other day and am curious about mounting them. Should I mount tghem on the front or the back?

Thanks.....
You should have chains on all of the wheels. With any AWD car it's important to keep the vehicle symmetric. And even with FWD I would put chains on all of the wheels. It's for starting and stopping the vehicle. If you are driving where chains are required (ski roads in the mountain) you will likely get better advice from people that use them all of the time. If these are to keep you safe in snow, then invest in 4 good snow tires and skip the chains.

Chains are for short term use to climb on ice and dangerous driving conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
i thought about getting a set of chains too but the manual says no no to chains
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
As RIT mentioned,
- if only two on a AWD - then the prefered method is both on the back axle, some guys will run one on the front but it will be opposite of the rear mounted one.
- if only three on AWD -then the front is mounted on the drivers side
- for AWD - all four is the best performance.

*four wheel drive is a little different set-up

This is coming from alot of 4x4 wheeling experience, both in the mud and on ice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
From the manual:
"Do not use tire chains. There is not enough clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without the proper amount of clearance can cause damage to the brakes, suspension or other vehicle parts.

The area damaged by the tire chains could cause you to lose control of the vehicle and you or others may be injured in a crash.

A Type S low-profile cable can be used only if the cable manufacturer recommends it for use on the vehicle, the tire size combination, and road conditions. Follow the manufacturer's
instructions. To help avoid damage to the vehicle, drive slowly, readjust or remove the cable if it is contacting the vehicle and do not spin the vehicle's tires.

Install the cables on the front tires only. Cables should not be installed on the spare tire or on the optional 19-inch tire."

ETA: What *are* type S low-profile cable? Where can we buy it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Yes absolutely, cables only, no chains for this application.

Unfortunately GM R&D do very limited testing in this regard and what they do test and spend limited time on, is in a pre-determined controlled environment. Also remember GM underwriters insist on this literature for liability issues.

In the real world, 'buckle up and chain up' we always say.

And we will always put full sets on - depending on the powertrain set-up.

Happy motoring!!!!

chracatoa said:
From the manual:
"Do not use tire chains. There is not enough clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without the proper amount of clearance can cause damage to the brakes, suspension or other vehicle parts.

The area damaged by the tire chains could cause you to lose control of the vehicle and you or others may be injured in a crash.

A Type S low-profile cable can be used only if the cable manufacturer recommends it for use on the vehicle, the tire size combination, and road conditions. Follow the manufacturer's
instructions. To help avoid damage to the vehicle, drive slowly, readjust or remove the cable if it is contacting the vehicle and do not spin the vehicle's tires.

Install the cables on the front tires only. Cables should not be installed on the spare tire or on the optional 19-inch tire."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I haven't used chains since I had a 66 Pontiac Catalina and was driving in the California mountains. Not the most enjoyable driving experience with a top speed of maybe 40 mph in heavy snow covered roads. Of course the chains were on the rear wheels. I had also used chains on my previous car, a 1959 Plymouth Belvedere convertible, when they couldn't get around to plow the roads. I found that good snow tires worked as well in most instances or kept off heavy sowy roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
So it turns out I bought chains instead of cable chains. I went back to change them (Les Schwab, a local chain) and the guy there told me the chains I have have very low and that my car has clearance for them though I still could exchange them.

Should I exchange them to cable chains then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that cable chains would be preferrable. I have also been told that they should be mounted on the front, and others have said on the back. I am going to get another pair so that they will be mounted on all four.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
chracatoa said:
So it turns out I bought chains instead of cable chains. I went back to change them (Les Schwab, a local chain) and the guy there told me the chains I have have very low and that my car has clearance for them though I still could exchange them.

Should I exchange them to cable chains then?
I would return them just to be safe. If damage does happen with the chains they may refuse your warranty and you will have to pay out of pocket. When in warranty play by the book because they will try any way possible to not have to pay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
When I worked at a dealer a guy came in that used chains on a car that required cables. he ripped out a brake line (i have no clue how he didnt crash) and there was about $8k in damage that he had to pay for.

Its not a matter that they try to get out of payinng for warranty stuff, its that the manual clearly states (when you find it) that you are required to use cables, if you dont use what they suggest then why should they have to pay for the repairs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
I started thinking about chains for our Terrain and that led me to looking at the Autosock. I would only need it for rare emergency situations so it may be perfect for my needs. It's available in the Terrain's P235/55R18 tires so I may order a set of 2. Check it out:

http://www.autosock.us/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
"Install the cables on the front tires only."

My apologies for reviving such an old thread. But given the manual says cables on the front tires only for my 2013 AWD Terrain, I wanted to be cautious.

Has anything changed or more information available? Should I be using cables on all 4 wheels or just the front?

Thank you
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top