GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble deciding on the 4 cyl as opposed to the 6.

Those of you who live in KY, TN, WV, VA, GA, CO, UT, etc:

For at least half the life of the Equinox it will be pulling out from a full stop at the bottom of a hill to a divided, unlimited access, 4 lane highway (25E, outside Corbin KY, to be exact). When I visit and go into town, I go up a hill (either way) and I floor the gas pedal because there is almost always a semi coming down the hill. They are usually barely under control.
My wife and I will probably be moving there full time within the life of the car.

:eek:

Will the 4 cyl be Ok, or do I need the 6? For people who do not know what I am describing, it is a "hill" only by KY standards. In Illinois, we call something like that a mountain. I really don't like the sound of air horns.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS

I've been going there for thirty years and have probably made the turn in at least six different cars. All require the same tactic. I learned to drive in Illinois and maybe the hills bother more than they would a native, but still and all....

·
Registered
441 Posts
that has to be widest area of states ive ever seen grouped together......UT and GA!?!?

i looked on google earth, there not much of a grade there....

i would think your afore mention colorado, or hell even west virginia has anything in KY trumped.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I make trips from southeast NC to WV and I got the I4. The I4 has like 182 HP and my old hyundai had a 2.7 V6 - 180 HP. So I don't think it will be a problem. Besides, not many engines will have a problem as long you push the pedal down enough ;D

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think if you are concerned enough to wonder which engine to get....you should probably get the V-6

Having said that...

darrell said:
...Besides, not many engines will have a problem as long you push the pedal down enough
This is true to an extent...

I read into your post that your concerns are based on...

newequinoxwep said:
...I go up a hill (either way) and I floor the gas pedal because there is almost always a semi coming down the hill. They are usually barely under control.
...I really don't like the sound of air horns.
Having read reviews on both the I-4 and V-6...most commented that neither platform offered a lot of power...
That is to say...the V-6 is not comparable to other V-6s
But posts I have read on here suggest most V-6 owners are pleased with their decision

Perhaps I'm looking too deep into your concerns and/or decision process...but...
In the end if you are really concerned about this hill and the semis...

The Nox/Terrain may not even be the right choice for you...this is after all a fairly heavy platform for it's size (3800 pounds is NO SLOUCH for a smallish crossover)

Have you taken one for a test drive?
You should probably drive both first

The 6 speed tranny was a good decision on GM's part because the extra gearing is needed to get the 3800 pounds moving from various road speeds...

Coupled with the "manual" shift mode...perhaps the Terrain/Nox will work for you if you "attack the hill" using manual shift mode until the "danger zone" is over...

Best wishes

·
Registered
365 Posts
Get the V6!!! I have the I4 and it is a gas hog dog. Unless you can keep it under 55 mph on level ground with no wind you won't come close to the V6 MPG. I have 6000 miles on the clock and average 20 mpg highway :mad: The best I ever got was 23 mpg and that was going 65 mph with a 20 mph tail wind. :eek:

·
Registered
977 Posts
No problems with the 4. If your on the highway I would take the ECO off. Best mpg I have gotten is 28.5 at 55 mph no AC. I do get an average of 23 - 24 around town which is about right. Doubt I will ever get 32 mpg. But if the 32 mpg is for comparison reasons other vehicles would have the same reductions in real life situations. If GM played around with EPA testing a class action suit would be a solutione

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I lived there and had to deal with that hill I would get the v6.

fireman591 said:
Get the V6!!! I have the I4 and it is a gas hog dog. Unless you can keep it under 55 mph on level ground with no wind you won't come close to the V6 MPG. I have 6000 miles on the clock and average 20 mpg highway :mad: The best I ever got was 23 mpg and that was going 65 mph with a 20 mph tail wind. :eek:
You have a problem with your motor, not all of them are like the one that you have.
I get great mpg in my I4

·
Registered
365 Posts
Z_Ghost said:
If I lived there and had to deal with that hill I would get the v6.
You have a problem with your motor, not all of them are like the one that you have.
I get great mpg in my I4
Oh no according to the dealer everything is normal ,It just needs to hit 8000 miles and everything will be magically fine! ::)
Still waiting on GM to hear what they want done with it. Not alone though, they have had many complaints about the I4 with poor MPG and fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
626 Posts
fireman591 said:
NO IT'S NOT! There's obviously a problem with your car. Please stop poisoning the waters for all those around you...plenty of us on this forum are able to achieve high 20s/low 30s in similar conditions.

·
Registered
365 Posts
mnussbaum said:
NO IT'S NOT! There's obviously a problem with your car. Please stop poisoning the waters for all those around you...plenty of us on this forum are able to achieve high 20s/low 30s in similar conditions.
CALL YOUR DISTRIC GMC REP AND ASK ABOUT ISSUES WITH THE I4!!!!!!!!! I won't bury my head in the sand like others and post up that everything is peachy. There is a problem with the I4 engine. Some have good ones and some have a bad ones. Do some research! Trust me I have been on the phone with GM alot the last month!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Fireman, I understand your disappointment with your choice of motor but stop spreading manure around. Many people get pretty decent MPG, myself included, and are very happy with their I4.

And once again, GM expected for the I4 to get 30 MPG on the highway. It was the EPA that rated it at 32. AGAIN, the EPA is the one who rated the vehicle. GM can NOT put their own number on the vehicle or they will be violating many federal laws.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f63/naias-09-2010-chevrolet-equinox-73050/

Check out that thread about the reveal of the 'Nox. It states that GM expected to get 21/30 with the I4 FWD. Imagine the shock when the EPA came away with 22/32.

Now, please start your own thread with your disappointments and to keep us up to date with what is going on with your vehicle. We are interested to see what comes from it being looked at but you are doing no good cross posting it as much as you have been.

Anyways, if you are going to be traveling mountains, I would personally get the V6. You might possibly get the same MPG because you have to use less power to achieve the same speed. It also wont drop down gears to try and keep up speed as much because again it has more power.

·
Registered
365 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Fireman, I understand your disappointment with your choice of motor but stop spreading manure around. Many people get pretty decent MPG, myself included, and are very happy with their I4.

And once again, GM expected for the I4 to get 30 MPG on the highway. It was the EPA that rated it at 32. AGAIN, the EPA is the one who rated the vehicle. GM can NOT put their own number on the vehicle or they will be violating many federal laws.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f63/naias-09-2010-chevrolet-equinox-73050/

Check out that thread about the reveal of the 'Nox. It states that GM expected to get 21/30 with the I4 FWD. Imagine the shock when the EPA came away with 22/32.

Now, please start your own thread with your disappointments and to keep us up to date with what is going on with your vehicle. We are interested to see what comes from it being looked at but you are doing no good cross posting it as much as you have been.

Anyways, if you are going to be traveling mountains, I would personally get the V6. You might possibly get the same MPG because you have to use less power to achieve the same speed. It also wont drop down gears to try and keep up speed as much because again it has more power.
For starters I am not spreading manure around!!! I chose the I4 for the MPG boost over the V6. I am giving the OP the dark side on this engine. I am happy that others are getting the advertised MPGs. Many are not! So you go ahead and post up on how well yours is doing and I will post up on how poor mine is doing. PLease let others make a choice!!! That is how forums work.

·
Registered
626 Posts
bballr4567 said:
This is a terrific idea. Your endless rants all over this site have become bitter, self-serving and tiresome. There's no balance to your posts, it's all negative. We get it that your mileage is poor. We get it that Edmunds has similar results. We know you've contacted GM about the problem. We get it all. Now get over yourself. Just because you have a problem you've decided that nobody else should buy the car.

My other suggestion, if you decide not to create a standalone thread, is to sell the car ASAP and leave the forum. You obviously aren't happy with the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in MO right now, but I'm from KY and I know the hills you speak of. I have a I4 and don't have any trouble with the hills (disclaimer, I've only had it for 2 months). But, I'm not sure you are going to get the kind of power you are alluding too with your post. I test drove both an realized with the way I drive and where I drive most, I don't need anymore power than the I4 and I am happy with the choice I made. I'd say test drive a nox or terrain in the area that you are worried with and actually drive those hills. (if there is a dealer close). That way you will know exactly what you are dealing with. Heck you may not like the car at all after you do that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bender said:
I live in MO right now, but I'm from KY and I know the hills you speak of. I have a I4 and don't have any trouble with the hills (disclaimer, I've only had it for 2 months). But, I'm not sure you are going to get the kind of power you are alluding too with your post. I test drove both an realized with the way I drive and where I drive most, I don't need anymore power than the I4 and I am happy with the choice I made. I'd say test drive a nox or terrain in the area that you are worried with and actually drive those hills. (if there is a dealer close). That way you will know exactly what you are dealing with. Heck you may not like the car at all after you do that.
I am currently in the Chicago area. Driving 500 miles is not so wonderful a thought. Corbin does have a big Chevy dealer, but like I said, 500 miles.

The states I listed are either Eastern Mountain states or Western Mountain states.

Other cars: The Traverse is a bunch more expensive and is, I am sure, even heavier. My wife has nixed a pickup.

We need, and will need even more, a vehicle that has some ability to carry. I would be easier in my mind if the Equinox was closer to halfway between the size of an HHR and Traverse, but it isn't.

Right now, my wife and I need to be able to chauffer her 80 year old parents back and forth to Kentucky. I don't like the idea of trying to get that amount of luggage into a sedan. Plus, we usually shop when we are there.

We have been keeping our cars ten years, so I feel we need to give that environment some consideration. When we move, we will be far enough away from shopping that we will have to make the trips to town count.

Of course, I can do nothing and save up an even larger down payment and gamble the car I am driving now will not strand me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have close to $1,800 credit on our GM credit card - other manufacturers won't give us credit for that.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I always smile at how defensive I4 folks are about their engines. For me, there never was a question, I like power to be there when I want/need it and the I4 wasn't capable of meeting my needs. My V6 is a great engine and less gas mileage is not a issue when compared to improve performance. I strongly believe in the theory that "if you can't afford the fuel, you shouldn't own the vehicle". Perhaps my street rods, Mustangs and current C5 Corvette have influenced me, but I'm eternally grateful for that influence as it has served me well for many, many years!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts