GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
I used to , have a place now in the Adirondack lake effect zone. Nice bike riding area also just short seasons for both. I've been in sleet on the bike up there, no fun.

We like the Adirondacks. I went to a forestry college 60 miles west of Lake Placid.
Our last trip through that area was 2015.

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
More pictures of bikes we used to own.
1984 BMW R100RT
1980 Suzuki 850 GS
1978 Yamaha 750 triple
1977 Kawasaki KZ 400
Yamaha 180 and 200 scooters
Honda 250 scooter

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Most of the time I go to Engle Motors in KC and some times I go to what Used to be Gina's in Iowa City.
I'm 180 miles from both shops.
Did you buy your bike from the new location down the street from Gina's?
Attached is a picture of us in front of Gin'a March 2011 with our K1300Ss.
That was a fun bike with 175 HP.
We switched back to the boxer engine because the K bike engines were getting too complicated for me to check valves.
The older K engines were pretty simple.
Being so far from a shop I try to do as much service as I can.
Yes, I bought it from Sun & Fun, Iowa City. Both this and the BMW shop owned by the same company. I purchased at one facility, but Triumph service is done at the BMW shop. I believe there have been some changes since I was there last, but not sure what is going on there. There was discussion of a new facility being built at another location back in 2015 when I got mine there.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes, I bought it from Sun & Fun, Iowa City. Both this and the BMW shop owned by the same company. I purchased at one facility, but Triumph service is done at the BMW shop. I believe there have been some changes since I was there last, but not sure what is going on there. There was discussion of a new facility being built at another location back in 2015 when I got mine there.

The new owner closed the BMW building and all the bikes are in the Sun & Fun building on the cul-de-sac.
The plan is a new building west of town on I-80 next to the owner's RV business.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good day today. Snowmobiled this morning, went shooting with dad, then got the DR back together. (greased steering stem bearings) and went for a ride.

Some old pics
1983 Nighthawk I had in college. And roommate's Interceptor 500.

1994 YZ125 I had in high school

One of the few KDXs I had, and a 1999 KX125 cheapo find that was too much fun.

This was my studio apartment for about 7 months, BGFMI (before girl friend moved in)

How not to treat a KDX.

And then how to treat a YZ that was originally a pro SX bike.

Ok, enough for now....

·
Registered
491 Posts
The new owner closed the BMW building and all the bikes are in the Sun & Fun building on the cul-de-sac.
The plan is a new building west of town on I-80 next to the owner's RV business.
That's interesting, I guess I did hear that the stores were consolidated into one.

Just before I purchased my Triumph, BMW and Triumph were both in the building that was sold. Then BMW corporate advised the owner that BMW must be the exclusive brand in that facility.

Mine was sold out of the cul-de-sac location, but the service techs for Triumph worked at the BMW complex.

I'm surprised that it's okay now to have BMW in the same facility when before it wasn't allowed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As best I recall...
50's era Cushman Scooter
'67 Yamaha scrambler
'70 RT-1
'76 Husky 450
'70 Husky 360
'82 Husky 430
'02 Yamaha TT250
'02 Harley RK
'10 WRR-250
'14 FZ-09

today: '14 FZ only one left.

Keep the faith.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm surprised that it's okay now to have BMW in the same facility when before it wasn't allowed.

BMW can be in the same building as other brands, but BMW corporate requires a separate part of the building for the showroom.
They have really got fussy will the dealers over the years and quite a few dealers have given up the franchise.
BMW wants the bike shops to look like a BMW car dealership.

As of this summer BMW is on one part of the upper level and Triumph is on another.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes, after having the Goldwing which is extremely quiet, I seriously thought my Triumph had a defective gearset in the primary drive. It reminded me of the gear noise in an old farm tractor. The final drive appears to be quiet though.

Mine just rattles at idle. I did rebuild the cam chain tensioner and that helped. My SV is on the quiet side engine wise.

My friend has a KTM 1290 SuperDuke. I heard it running I thought it was broken!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts