GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone partakes in 2 wheeled travel?

I ride as much as I can. Right now I have 3 motorcycles. A 1999 Triumph Trophy Triple that's a great distance bike that'll do curves, a 2018 Suzuki SV650, my little backroad bomber, and a 12 Kawasaki KLX250 street and trail bike.

I plan on using my 05 Equinox to pull my 5x8 utility trailer to haul the street and trail bike to farther off places to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lots of bikes, mostly dirt ones, throughout my life. 125's, 250's, KDXs.

Currently own a 2013 DR650 that mostly sees commuting duty now, it was my everything bike for a couple years, but is about 130 lbs too heavy and a few inches too short for real dirt bike work. Didn't stop me from trying though.

For the fun stuff I have a 2011 KTM 300 XCW, with a BIG modification : Christini AWD. Completely unnecessary. But for the price I couldn't pass it up.

The DR off roading it.

The KTM doing it with a lot less energy.

Spreadout in numerous totes is also a 1972 Yamaha CS5. A strange, single model year bike that came right before the much more popular RD200 and uses almost all shared chassis parts with it, but while using up the piston port version of the engine from the CS3. I need to finish my shed this summer and get back on this project. It was shelved close to 3 years ago when we were moving. It looks decent in the pic, but it was sooooooo messed up. Bent forks, rusty shocks, busted piston, wiring absolutely destroyed, etc. My aunt bought it new, it went through her 7 other siblings, then my cousin used it as a dirt bike in the 80s, and after it was killed it sat for probably 20-ish years.

Pre tear down.

Current state, at the old garage.

Oh, and the 2012 Terrain tows em around on that modified 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer pictured with the KTM. Hardly known its there, even with just the 4 banger.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have 2 HD's neither are stock...I don't nearly put the miles on that I did in prior decades.

Not making excuses but the Good Lord willing I will be 60 yrs young this fall, arthritis creeping in coupled with living here in the frozen tundra corruption state Ill. none that are making it any easier.

Stating the obvious, HD values have tanked since mid 2000's, many used bikes are flooding the market, any model used garage queen can be had for cheap if you are patient willing to travel a bit to pick one up.

1995 FXD Superglide purchased used 7/1/06 32k on the clock
2005 FLHTC Electraglide purchased new 3/1/05 72k on the clock

Thanks for sharing the PICS!

No matter what 2 wheels you choose to ride, "ride like you are invisible" enjoy & ride often ride safe...

·
Registered
952 Posts
I started riding in 1977 and my wife rode on the back.
She decided to get her own bike in 1988 when we rode to Alaska.
Those two bikes were 1987 BMW K75T.

We mainly use our bikes for trips and have ridden in 49 states.
Our current bikes are 2016 BMW R1200RS.

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Here's a few of our past bikes.
BMW 2011 K1300S
BMW 2003 K1200RS
BMW 1991 K75S

Sorry about the thumbnail pictures.
I don't use a photo sharing site.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spreadout in numerous totes is also a 1972 Yamaha CS5. A strange, single model year bike that came right before the much more popular RD200 and uses almost all shared chassis parts with it, but while using up the piston port version of the engine from the CS3. I need to finish my shed this summer and get back on this project. It was shelved close to 3 years ago when we were moving. It looks decent in the pic, but it was sooooooo messed up. Bent forks, rusty shocks, busted piston, wiring absolutely destroyed, etc. My aunt bought it new, it went through her 7 other siblings, then my cousin used it as a dirt bike in the 80s, and after it was killed it sat for probably 20-ish years.
Funny you mention the RD200, I had one of those and an R5, the predecessor to the RD350.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I first started riding in 1968, my first bike was a 1968 Sears 106 SS. Since then I've had a few Honda's and a 1969 Harley Sprint 350 SS.

I owned a 1988, 1500, 6 cyl Goldwing for 26 years; excellent machine!

In 2015 I purchased a leftover 2014 Triumph Trophy SE; Here's a photo of it. It's in the Sport Touring category.

Unfortunately this model was discontinued a couple of years ago.

My current machine below.

·
Registered
529 Posts
'01 HD Road King. Lost riding buddy only 25k miles on it, just retired so bike use will pick up now. Boat time has cut into bike time. Snowmobiles fill the handlebar void in winter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Growing up here in the Midwest this has always been my favorite time of the year spring, bike season will begin here in Ill. The day light hours are growing along with everything else that's soon to be blooming showing color and the grass turning green.

I'll try to add a couple pics of my scoots into my post, thanks everyone for sharing your pics and NurrseBill this a great post you started!

·
Registered
952 Posts
In 2015 I purchased a leftover 2014 Triumph Trophy SE; Here's a photo of it. It's in the Sport Touring category.

The Trophy looks like it would be a nice model.
The two dealers I go to handle Triumph.

·
Registered
952 Posts
'01 HD Road King. Lost riding buddy only 25k miles on it, just retired so bike use will pick up now. Boat time has cut into bike time. Snowmobiles fill the handlebar void in winter.

Do you have to haul the snowmobiles north to have enough snow to run on?

·
Registered
491 Posts
The Trophy looks like it would be a nice model.
The two dealers I go to handle Triumph.
Lee F,

The Triumph Trophy is indeed a nice motorcycle: It has all of the electronics; radio, Bluetooth, electronic suspension, electrically adjustable windshield, cruise control, traction control and ABS brakes.

It has a 1215 cc triple, 132 hp, fuel injected, liquid cooled six speed trans, a driveshaft and removable bags. Fuel capacity is 6.6 gal and mileage is around 55 mpg. Range ~300 miles.

Unfortunately sales were not so great; its direct competition was the BMW R1200RT which was more popular. The dealer network in the USA is also limited, which didn't help sales.

My dealer is in Iowa City, IA; the next closest is in Dubuque IA, both are 100 miles from my home.

I had planned to get another Goldwing, but I ride alone and don't need a 'bus' to haul just myself around. This bike also cost $10,000 less than the Goldwing that I was considering. It also weighs about 200 pounds less and gets fantastic fuel mileage compared to the Wing. After having this Triumph for a few years, and looking back; I would have been happier with the Goldwing, mostly because of the product refinement and the network of dealers and product support.

It rides and handles well, but is a little more top heavy than a Goldwing. Another observation is that there is a lot of primary gear noise; not as refined as the Japanese bikes; I was told by the Triumph faithfuls that gives the bike its character.

Triumph then decided to abandon this model, in favor of the retro and adventure type bikes.

Now I can either think of my bike as obsolete, or a collector bike! :wink:

·
Registered
208 Posts
They stopped making my Katana 1100 27 years ago.. I would be doomed if I needed plastics/mirrors etc. Talk about obsolete!.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lee F,

The Triumph Trophy is indeed a nice motorcycle: It has all of the electronics; radio, Bluetooth, electronic suspension, electrically adjustable windshield, cruise control, traction control and ABS brakes.

It has a 1215 cc triple, 132 hp, fuel injected, liquid cooled six speed trans, a driveshaft and removable bags. Fuel capacity is 6.6 gal and mileage is around 55 mpg. Range ~300 miles.

Unfortunately sales were not so great; its direct competition was the BMW R1200RT which was more popular. The dealer network in the USA is also limited, which didn't help sales.

My dealer is in Iowa City, IA; the next closest is in Dubuque IA, both are 100 miles from my home.

I had planned to get another Goldwing, but I ride alone and don't need a 'bus' to haul just myself around. This bike also cost $10,000 less than the Goldwing that I was considering. It also weighs about 200 pounds less and gets fantastic fuel mileage compared to the Wing. After having this Triumph for a few years, and looking back; I would have been happier with the Goldwing, mostly because of the product refinement and the network of dealers and product support.

It rides and handles well, but is a little more top heavy than a Goldwing. Another observation is that there is a lot of primary gear noise; not as refined as the Japanese bikes; I was told by the Triumph faithfuls that gives the bike its character.

Triumph then decided to abandon this model, in favor of the retro and adventure type bikes.

Now I can either think of my bike as obsolete, or a collector bike! :wink:

Yeah, my 99 Trophy is noisy as well.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yeah, my 99 Trophy is noisy as well.
Yes, after having the Goldwing which is extremely quiet, I seriously thought my Triumph had a defective gearset in the primary drive. It reminded me of the gear noise in an old farm tractor. The final drive appears to be quiet though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Do you have to haul the snowmobiles north to have enough snow to run on?
I used to , have a place now in the Adirondack lake effect zone. Nice bike riding area also just short seasons for both. I've been in sleet on the bike up there, no fun.

·
Registered
952 Posts

Most of the time I go to Engle Motors in KC and some times I go to what Used to be Gina's in Iowa City.
I'm 180 miles from both shops.
Did you buy your bike from the new location down the street from Gina's?
Attached is a picture of us in front of Gin'a March 2011 with our K1300Ss.
That was a fun bike with 175 HP.
We switched back to the boxer engine because the K bike engines were getting too complicated for me to check valves.
The older K engines were pretty simple.
Being so far from a shop I try to do as much service as I can.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts