GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See the pics and it's self explanatory. This is my Pilot (well, now the wifes Pilot as I get the new Nox).
I have this trailer hitch attachment to carry my motocross bike. It's a class 3 hitch, 2"x2" rated for up to 5000lbs

Question.
1. Does the Equinox have a hitch available in the larger class 3 size? A class 2 hitch rated for up to 3500lbs, which is the Nox/Terrrain rating would mean the hitch (at least from the factory) should be the smaller 1.25" square.

2. Even if you could get a class 3 hitch do you think the NOX would be study/strong enough to handle this bike. The bike weighs 230lbs and the hitch is about another 40-50lbs max.

Tongue weight on any class hitch is rated at 10% of the max load weight. Therefore if GM designed this vehicle with a tow capacity of 3500lbs then they would also have to adhere to the tongue weight spec....so I would have to believe that GM beefed up the body/chassi/suspension ect... to handle 350lbs. What do you all think?

The pics aren;t too clear but you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
My guess would be, if the weight of the carrier and bike is = or < the max tongue weight of the hitch, your good to go.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
KANWAR said:
My guess would be, if the weight of the carrier and bike is = or < the max tongue weight of the hitch, your good to go.
+1

You don't want to be putting a Class 3 hitch on the Nox or Terrain, stick with the Class 2.

Yes, GM has beefed up the chassis to handle a Class 2 hitch, the tongue rating is 400lbs so you'll be fine, if you want to play it safe and go with the 10% margin - your still fine.

And yes the tongue on a Class 2 is 1.25 or 1 1/4 inch.[/color]

·
Registered
239 Posts
I bolted a Valley class III hitch receiver to the back of my Terrain for this exact same use.
Seems to work just fine for me.

Another use, Yesterday my father in law's beat up old half ton broke down and I used a recovery strap held by the pin through my receiver to pull it out of traffic and to an 'out of the way' location about 10 blocks away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts