GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my NOX for the gas mileage. I traded in my 08 Aspen with the Hemi that I got the sticker mileage on it while driving like it was supposed to be driven with the Hemi in it. I can not get anywhere close the either sticker number while driving this thing like a baby. As several have posted on here, I have ALWAYS been able to achieve the sticker mileage on all my previous vehicles. I drove that Aspen 4 times to Jax Fl from Dallas. Drove the 04 Durango 2 time and a 00 Excursion 3 times. So I have a good base for the same trip. Well I just did the trip in the Nox and I was furious. The speed limit most of the way there is 70mph so I kept it below 75 and still only managed 25mpg on the way there. This was all night time driving. On the way back I was running late and did 79 most of the way. Total trip was 2320 miles with 102.2 gallons used (filled up when I got home). Thats a whopping 22.7mpg for an 98% hwy trip. That is completely unacceptable to see the city sticker number for all hwy mileage. I would get 19 in the Aspen and it was a much more comfortable ride with 4 people. I feel like driving this thing off a cliff. I could barely break 400 miles on the tank. :banghead: :angryfire: :thumbdown:

·
Registered
87 Posts
this is pretty much the exact experience I have had with my 2011 4 cyl.

We drove from Dallas to California and back, and babying it on the highway we got around 22 to 24 mpg over the 3600 mile trip.

There were times that I would fill up, immediately get on the highway, set cruise at 70 and average 22.4 mpg for the next 300+ miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All my calculations were done by hand and were pretty close to the DIC

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm not gonna lie, I get pretty decent mileage. I'm not trying to rub it in your face, by any means, just sharing my side...

I just took an 80 mile trip, mostly at 72ish mph, and drove through 5 or 6 small towns where the speed dropped to 30, or I had to stop at a light. I averaged 28 mpg. At 55-60 mph, I can get up to 34 mpg.

I will say, that I've noticed it is VERY sensitive to rpm's. If you accelerate quickly, it definitely has more of an impact than it would have had on my old car. I do my best to keep it under 2.5 rpms. It's doable. You might try this and see if it has an effect on your numbers.

·
Registered
432 Posts
mix of highway and city for me.. probably 40/60 and the best i can average is 10.4L/100k. Better than the monte... thats what i keep telling myself and it makes it a bit better.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I raise the bs flag for getting the sticker on the hemi...I avg 27mpg, and according to fuelly that is best in class

·
Registered
978 Posts
grometsc said:
I raise the bs flag for getting the sticker on the hemi...
Not by yourself you're not...I'm pulling on the rope right next to ya

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cameron said:
mix of highway and city for me.. probably 40/60 and the best i can average is 10.4L/100k. Better than the monte... thats what i keep telling myself and it makes it a bit better.

Well i get almost same numbers and got the v6 !!! the i4 is not the best choice in the nox or the terrain.... i average 60% on highway and and 40% city. 10.9L\100km
the only thing regretable is the i4 :facepalm: not relaible not achieving sticker numbers....GM never did good i4 :thumbdown: thats why i always got v6 not a perfect engine but way better and getting stikers numbers :thumb:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wind said:
Well i get almost same numbers and got the v6 !!! the i4 is not the best choice in the nox or the terrain.... i average 60% on highway and and 40% city. 10.9L\100km
the only thing regretable is the i4 :facepalm: not relaible not achieving sticker numbers....GM never did good i4 :thumbdown: thats why i always got v6 not a perfect engine but way better and getting stikers numbers :thumb:
I get to drive BOTH on a regular basis...Something few here can state (actually 50K and 16K on my V6)

The V6 will never get better MPG then the I4 when driven under same conditions. My WORST tank on the I4 is still better then my BEST on the V6...Just saying :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I get 27 highway with my 6, and mid 21's to low 23's combined. I've got no complaints and there was never one single second where I considered the I4. Currently coming up to 35,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The odd-ball thing about the Terrain/Nox is that the I4 EPA estimate is best in class, but the V6 is almost, if not, the worst. :shrug:

Once I test drove the I4 and determined that it could get out of its own way, I was still thinking about the possibly of getting a V6. I noticed the the Terrain V6 was rated with lower mileage than the Acadia V6. That created a whole other slippery slope of whether (1) get a V6, (2) get a larger crossover, (3) get the Enclave rather than an Acadia...and before you know it, I would have been spending $48K on a car rather than $30K.

I am pretty happy with the I4 so far. I think, for me, it comes down to the reality that my driving is really about 80-90% city driving, so I will never, freeking ever see 32 MPG.

·
Registered
56 Posts
At 5,500 miles, my FWD I-4 continues to deliver 26-27 mpg around town. Generally, I'm pleased as 'around town' driving represents 95% of vehicle use.

Drove the 'Nox Scottsdale to San Diego last weekend; average speed was 80-plus, Interstate 8 through Cleveland Pass (sea level to 5,000 feet just west of AZ/CA border; the worst stretch of Southwest highway due to extreme hills, twists, turns, WINDS). Highway mileage sucked; 22 mpg but, again, I was driving 80-plus and traffic was passing by me non-stop. Winds were high both directions.

Not the best highway mileage but a very comfortable and quiet ride, nonetheless.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I, too, was in the MPG frustration camp - however, I've been doing a little digging, a little research, a little trial and error, and have confirmed much of what others are saying about the I4: Very sensitive to throttle increases, grades, AC usage, and an amazing difference between 60-70mph.

ArizonaNOX said:
At 5,500 miles, my FWD I-4 continues to deliver 26-27 mpg around town. Generally, I'm pleased as 'around town' driving represents 95% of vehicle use.
Now, as far as getting 26-27 "around town" - which I'm assuming means city driving (and representing 95% of your total commuting type) - I find that to be nothing short of amazing. When I push my truck around town, no AC, ECO mode, and keeping shifts at 2500 or less, I can barrrrrrely muster up 20mpgs (and that's a best case scenario too). I'd love to get 26-27 city... that must mean you can avg about 33-34 highway! :thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can raise the BS flag all you want but I got 16.5 MPG avg on my 5 day a week commute. I averaged 19.2 on my FL trips. Sticker mileage was 12-20. SO I expected to get the middle like I have on every other vehicle I have owned while living here is Dallas and doing the same exact commute for 11 years. I got a little less on the 04 Durango Hemi since it did not have the MDS system.

grometsc said:
I raise the bs flag for getting the sticker on the hemi...I avg 27mpg, and according to fuelly that is best in class

·
Registered
315 Posts
TerrainLem said:
I, too, was in the MPG frustration camp - however, I've been doing a little digging, a little research, a little trial and error, and have confirmed much of what others are saying about the I4: Very sensitive to throttle increases, grades, AC usage, and an amazing difference between 60-70mph.

Now, as far as getting 26-27 "around town" - which I'm assuming means city driving (and representing 95% of your total commuting type) - I find that to be nothing short of amazing. When I push my truck around town, no AC, ECO mode, and keeping shifts at 2500 or less, I can barrrrrrely muster up 20mpgs (and that's a best case scenario too). I'd love to get 26-27 city... that must mean you can avg about 33-34 highway! :thumb:
We get much better mpg around town then on the highway...During acceleration is when DI technology comes into play, meaning our engines are running leaner then if they where a regular fuel injection system. Once the 3900lb beast starts cruising above 65mph though, physics comes into play of weight/aerodynmaics..and sadly 32mpg is out of reach...But again EPA test @ 60mph, uses 100% pure gas, and doesnt use the ac the entire time during testing....That is what it takes to achieve the sticker numbers on ANY car. Alot of car makes do "pad" the epa results, GM definitely did with the Nox, but so does EVERY other car maker! Upper 20's are possible with good driving, when I drive 75+ its 24-25mpg. My I4 always carries around 200-250lbs of gear as well.

I sometimes wonder if users w/ bad mileage would reset the fuel trims to see if mpg would improve

·
Registered
161 Posts
What are fuel trims?

As far as padding by GM, how can you say that? Also for all others?

All car mfg test to the same criteria as established by the EPA. About 15% of all vehicles are actually tested by the EPA and all mfg certified testing is subject to auditing by them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The mileage is crap...as someone else said it is to drastic change from like 50 mph to 70 mph...we are screwed and it does piss me off...if you trade it you take a big hit....i home someday there is a class action lawsuit.

i bought gmc to give american a chance and wish i had got the ...oh nevermind

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well guys...apparently we're all under mileaged...

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
The EPA rates all vehicles, not the manufacturer. If you think you are going to drive around with the A/C on, jack rabbit starts, slamming the brakes on, speeding and get the advertised MPG, I have news for you, it ain't happenin' in any vehicle.

Every car I have owned has had threads like this. You're driving a 4,000 LB SUV with a ton of safety and comfort features. If you wanted mileage, you should have bought a Yaris deathtrap.

Please drive your Equinox/Terrain off a cliff. WITH YOU IN IT! Sadly, thanks to all the weight that kills your mileage you'd probably survive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
dishdude said:
The EPA rates all vehicles, not the manufacturer. If you think you are going to drive around with the A/C on, jack rabbit starts, slamming the brakes on, speeding and get the advertised MPG, I have news for you, it ain't happenin' in any vehicle.

Every car I have owned has had threads like this. You're driving a 4,000 LB SUV with a ton of safety and comfort features. If you wanted mileage, you should have bought a Yaris deathtrap.

Please drive your Equinox/Terrain off a cliff. WITH YOU IN IT! Sadly, thanks to all the weight that kills your mileage you'd probably survive.
I agree with all of the techinical info above, but we might be differing on semantics regarding the EPA. They do certify all vehicles, but do not test all of them. Around 85 percent are tested by the mfg them selves to EPA standards and then certified by the EPA as conforming to their standards.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

Also of interest: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

especially the comparison tab

Nice concise article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q3/the_truth_about_epa_city_highway_mpg_estimates-feature

Edited for clarification

1 - 20 of 161 Posts