GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
@lou-in-usa , Just curious about the last sentence. I change the oil every 3K, but what other maintenance do you suggest on the engine? Anything I can do to keep her going as long as possible I'll make sure I'll do.
I'd say 3k miles is excessive and not necessary unless you're not using a Dexos specification synthetic oil. I generally change the oil at about 20% life left on the built in monitor. The monitor measures more than miles or hours on the engine, so I would pick an oil-life percentage number you're comfortable with and change on that interval. Also, use a premium filter made for synthetic oil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Due to the carbon build up because of the poor poor poor design of this GDI engine 3K mile oil changes are a must in my opinion. An oil catch can may prevent the carbon build up too. My Equinox burned a quart at 3000 miles at the last oil change. I traded it in and got $13,900. It was priced at 14,900 when I bought it in 2018. I've got me an awesome low mileage Toyota. Did my homework and the engine my new SUV should last me several hundred thousand miles. Goodbye Chevrolet. I drove my 1990 C1500 for 20 years with no major issues and never a check engine light. My 2010 Silverado was ok but luckily I had the 5yr 100K miles warranty. Used it several times for oil leaks. Rear main seal twice and oil pan gasket once. SMH. In my opinion developed from my experience with Chevrolet is never buy another GM product. They are all garbage and are the Yugo of all cars now. I have an FJ now and everyone on the FJ forums love the vehicle. All Chevy forums are just full of complaints and hate towards how shoddy the cars are built by the greedy GM. Chevys are now throw away cars. Good riddance to Chevy!!!!!! Hello Toyotas!
The only good GM vehicles have Honda and Toyota engines.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Due to the carbon build up because of the poor poor poor design of this GDI engine 3K mile oil changes are a must in my opinion. An oil catch can may prevent the carbon build up too. My Equinox burned a quart at 3000 miles at the last oil change. I traded it in and got $13,900. It was priced at 14,900 when I bought it in 2018. I've got me an awesome low mileage Toyota. Did my homework and the engine my new SUV should last me several hundred thousand miles. Goodbye Chevrolet. I drove my 1990 C1500 for 20 years with no major issues and never a check engine light. My 2010 Silverado was ok but luckily I had the 5yr 100K miles warranty. Used it several times for oil leaks. Rear main seal twice and oil pan gasket once. SMH. In my opinion developed from my experience with Chevrolet is never buy another GM product. They are all garbage and are the Yugo of all cars now. I have an FJ now and everyone on the FJ forums love the vehicle. All Chevy forums are just full of complaints and hate towards how shoddy the cars are built by the greedy GM. Chevys are now throw away cars. Good riddance to Chevy!!!!!! Hello Toyotas!
The only good GM vehicles have Honda and Toyota engines.
I tend to agree with your points.

·
Registered
312 Posts
why can't we rid our forum of these foreign plant members??? They don't add any value and just spread negative chit

Reactions: rednox301

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
All those cars in back of the Toy dealer and the Hondog dealer are just there for oil changes, right?
Don't cheap out with the Japanese cars go BMW, it's the driving machine, if ya want a real car owning experience. Just as good as owning a Jag or Range Rover and not some tin can Asian car.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 173k miles
4,190 Posts
My Equinox burned a quart at 3000 miles at the last oil change. I traded it in and got $13,900. It was priced at 14,900 when I bought it in 2018. I've got me an awesome low mileage Toyota. Did my homework and the engine my new SUV should last me several hundred thousand miles. Goodbye Chevrolet. I drove my 1990 C1500 for 20 years with no major issues and never a check engine light. My 2010 Silverado was ok but luckily I had the 5yr 100K miles warranty. Used it several times for oil leaks. Rear main seal twice and oil pan gasket once. SMH. In my opinion developed from my experience with Chevrolet is never buy another GM product. They are all garbage ...
I can tell you, from personal experience, that they are not “all garbage”. My last two new car purchases were/are Chevrolets (2002 Impala and 2011 Equinox). They’re both still going with 241,000 and 172,000 miles respectively (and only $400 in non-routine maintenance costs between them!). You happened to get burned on the problematic 2.4L engine. I understand your frustration (anger?), but I gotta believe this kind of manufacturing failure (defective piston rings, in the case of the 2.4L Equinox) happens across all makes and models. And when it doesn’t, some of these makes (German, especially), are still costing owners large sums of money just for routine maintenance. It’s like the repair cost numbers are based on ability to pay: “you want to drive a German car (?) ... well ... that’ll be $600 for that “checkup” and car wash”

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Agreed, the ecotec 2.4 can be garbage but, the same motor has been a baja 1000 winner and is a common swap into some smaller cars for racing. + it comes in the polaris slingshot...some people get alot out of these motors Nobody puts any of those new honda or Toyota motors into anything. Their not that great yea they are reliable but also very sensitive and not to mention the ugly cars they go into. Try towing something with it.... Doesn't work.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 173k miles
4,190 Posts
Dude wth. How can you complain about that? It was basically a free car.
I had to check on kbb.com because I thought $13,900 was a high number, but I chose 2015 LT with 90,000 miles, “Very Good” condition, and it came back with a Trade-in range of $11,300-$13,500. So if @TARDIS B got $13,900, that appears to be on the high end.

But, of course, buying anything right now is also on the high-end (price wise), and buying “used” is a minefield of its own. Looks like the FJ Cruiser was discontinued in the US in 2014 due to years of declining sales. I hope this isn’t a RWD model headed for a snow belt state ... that, together with very likely poor fuel economy, would be hard to deal with ... but “good luck” with it!

• Wow
Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
2012 GMC Terrian 2.4L 125k Miles
17 Posts
I'll get this back on track.

I have 126,000 miles on mine currently.

oil consumption fix done took about 4 months and started consuming oil again.
brake pads and rotors on the front
Spark plugs
Tires replaced
VVT solenoids at 90,000.
low beam headlamps this year
Burns 1 quart every 1k-3k miles depending on in town or highway miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 SLE Ecotec Terrain

To begin put me down for 127,875 miles, the end.
YEP, DEAD AT 127THOU. I'm not the driver just the guy all my peeps call when the s*** hits the fan. Gotta call last week from my brother in law who states car motor shakes like it wants out of the car (truck). Oh and its losing oil he states. I grab tow dolly and drag it 50 miles to my cave and pull codes, p228D is the only code that wont go away so replace hipress fuel pump and for good measure both oil valves, old ones were covered with silver glitter. Erase codes car runs flawlessly until it doesn't might be two minutes might be the next start. but that code puts it right into limp mode again and again . So today was gonna be my button this up day and send this little jimmy home, but on startup it starts the miss-fire mambo and proceeds to eat itself right on the spot.

Total destruction on the intake camshaft 6 busted rollers and their parts strewn all over.
So unless my bro finds some super deal on a used block I'd say this is a done turkey.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts