GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Cardinal rad said:
2011 2.4, nearing 70k. on 3rd fuel pump, second rear hatch touch pad opener, second timing chain and tensioner. Taking in soon for rust on bottom of all doors, and spoiled smell when windows down. Thankfully, I bought extended warranty. Other then some noises due to timing chain, and tensioner, and smell of fuel in oil, car runs great. Love it lots, but not sure that I would trust DI engine in future purchase.

for the smell from doors- theres a bulletin for that....or ive seen a post on here about it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
austin said:
I'm curious as to how the interior is holding up after that many miles? Many old GM's would have annoying squeaks and rattles by that mileage. Is your interior still quiet and in good condition?
Well my 2013 Terrain with 25k km's has a couple of rattles and after a couple of tries the dealer was still unable to fix them. Other than that the truck has been great so far.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
austin said:
I'm curious as to how the interior is holding up after that many miles? Many old GM's would have annoying squeaks and rattles by that mileage. Is your interior still quiet and in good condition?
My '10, while it has less miles (35K) - the interior looks brand new, and has zero squeaks or rattles. Looks and rides like brand new - inside and out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just turned 101,000. We purchased at 79,000 eighteen months ago. Service records show balance shaft chain replacement, water pump and transmission (64,000 miles). Fresh Mobil1 5W30 today and changed out spark plugs. Replaced with AC Delco Iridium....same as factory. Easy DIY. Was wondering if I would find any fouling on plug tips but thankfully they were all dry. Consuming about 1 qt every 2500-3000 miles. Blackstone oil analysis done about 10,000 ago was fine. Son drives it and loves it. Hope this engine can hold itself together for another 50,000+ without major issues. We'll see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bought the wife's nox with over 150000 miles on it. About 161000 now. 2011 4 banger awd. The chassis is tight and right. Little bit of surface rust in the seams inside the doors. With the leather interior there is one tear on the seat bottom bolster on the drivers seat. Probably from getting in and out of the vehicle wear. No rattles, no squeaks. Now for the bad, oil consumption is one quart every thousand miles. Transmission occasionally exhibits slipping behavior when first shifting into third gear. I'm usually pretty cautious when looking for cars. I obviously knew buying a car with that mileage was a gamble but i wish i would have found information about the oil consumption prior to purchasing. Like the equinox but not sure how it's going to hold up long term.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
ls6junkie said:
Like the equinox but not sure how it's going to hold up long term.
In your mind, What is LONG term ?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Rit said:
In your mind, What is LONG term ?
Glad you asked that.

Mom has a habit of telling me....
Your sister JUST left....
Ill call my sister-- Hey come back...
Shell reply with--- were in "X Y Z". (where X Y Z is 2 hrs away)

MOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! you said JUST LEFT... shes 2 hrs away!

This has caused a few arguements...

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Cardinal rad said:
Thanks for the info rbarrios, I will make sure to bring this up to new dealership.
???

what I was referring to--
is that some folks definition of long term is maybe 3-5 yrs with 'low' mileage.
While others like myself long term is 200,000/10 yrs.

Reactions: TARDIS B

·
Registered
288 Posts
Austin,
interior is like new with no rattles and squeaks.....my seat is a little worn as I spend a little time there.....

now my wifes 2010 had a squeak that drove me insane when it was warm outside.

that turned out to be the overhead console with the lights.

after I took it apart and fixed the fasteners how they were meant to be the squeak is gone.

I looked for that squeak for a year but it didn't do it in the winter months.

it sounded like it was coming from the radio a/c unit so I took that out and it was still there

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks to all who have responded to my question about miles on the I4 engine. It looks like the majority of you have many miles with few or no problems which is great. For those of you who have had more problems, sorry to hear about those and hope that they can be resolved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update
Got the car into dealership this afternoon, long story short. Not anything they can do about rust on bottoms of all doors, or spoiled smell in doors. They stated that the rust HAS to make a hole THROUGH the door, before they fix, and nothing can be done about spoiled smell. Actually accused me of not keeping leaves and other debris, out of window seal. so much for extended warranty.
Details aside, I felt like I got the bum rush, out of the dealership, even leaving me to stand, locked outside my car for many mins, before I went back in for keys.
I'm going to try another dealership, hopefully I can get a better response.
I know I shouldn't have expectations of outcomes, but this sure doesn't make me very positive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
'12 Terrain SLT-1 AWD

17,500 Miles

Problem #1: Busted O2 Sensor (leading to a flooding of the oil with fuel apparently) 1,800 miles
Problem #2: Leaking Transmission ~15,000 miles
Problem #3: Shaky/Trembling/Struggle at higher speeds/Check Engine Light on/Weird Noises 17,500

Pretty sure I was sold a lemon... Let's see if GM decides to do anything as a company that cares about it's customers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have 34,500 miles on the wife's 13' LTZ FWD. No mechanical issues! Just took a trip to Duluth (about 800 miles logged there and back). With two mountain bikes on top and loaded back we got 25.7 mpg average. This is also 70+ mph for 90% of the trip and other percent in town driving.

Issues? Only thing I had to take it in for (twice) was rattle in doors when playing music. Techs could not find it. Said they could only work on it for 20 minutes before GM basically says push it out the door. Last time I take it to that dealer for issues like that. We now take it to the local GMC Buick dealer for most of our needs. Anyways I found the issue myself. The small clip in "doors" under the grab handles on each front door were rattling. Took off and put in thin weather strip. Fixed issue!

Mechanical issues are non existent so far. Never had a single issue. *knocks on plastic dash*

Plan to keep it till it starts showing issues...or our family gets MUCH larger in a instant. Don't really see that happening in the near future but anything can happen I guess!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bringing this back. How many miles do you have on the 2.4L. I have a 2015 with 83K. Only issues was a bad drive shaft that caused the transmission to leak but it was fixed under warranty. Otherwise pretty solid. I'd like to see what other people's experiences are. My wife's 2015 Chevy Captiva with the 2.4L flex fuel engine was guzzling oil and we traded it right after paying it off with only 115K miles. So let's see current mileage on the 2.4L now that they have some years on them.🚙

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD
147 Posts
Bringing this back. How many miles do you have on the 2.4L. I have a 2015 with 83K. Only issues was a bad drive shaft that caused the transmission to leak but it was fixed under warranty. Otherwise pretty solid. I'd like to see what other people's experiences are. My wife's 2015 Chevy Captiva with the 2.4L flex fuel engine was guzzling oil and we traded it right after paying it off with only 115K miles. So let's see current mileage on the 2.4L now that they have some years on them.🚙
82,000+ miles on the clock in my AWD 2.4L. Replaced the VVT solenoids, flushed transmission and coolant, drain and filled transfer case and differential. Touch wood so far so good. Average mpg about 23.

·
Registered
64 Posts
212,000 miles on my 2011 2.4L LAF before I decided to swap it, instead of doing a valve job, for a 2017 LEA salvage with 12k on it. Bottom-end was replaced under GM oil consumption warranty at about 129,000 miles on the LAF.
I should have paid the dealer to do a valve job since it would have been the same labor cost (free), but even without a valve job the engine was still running fine at the time I swapped it, and sold it to a guy who needed it for a flood car he was salvaging. The LEA now has about 60k on it and is doing fine.

These are great engines if you understand how to take care of them...but I don't think a lot of people appreciate that they're more sophisticated than their Briggs & Stratton.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@lou-in-usa , Just curious about the last sentence. I change the oil every 3K, but what other maintenance do you suggest on the engine? Anything I can do to keep her going as long as possible I'll make sure I'll do.

·
Registered
179 Posts
2011 I4 Terrain, just hit 139,000 miles. Had the oil consumption fix done at 85,000. I have kept impeciable care of the vehicle inside and out, so physically it looks practically brand new. Mechanically I have had zero problems. I have changed the oil at 5,000-6,000 mile intervals. Changed transmission fluild at 50,000 mile intervals. Had to change brake pads and rotors on the front due to rotor vibration. Changed spark plugs, belt and VVT solenoids at 100,000. Had to change out a bad belt tensioner around 110,000. Headlamps finally went after 8 years, and battery lasted 8 years before I had to replace it. And finally I had to change a rear coil spring insulator last year to fix an annoying squeak.

·
Registered
21 Posts
88K miles now on my 2015. Still do oil changes at 3K miles. Now it loses about 3/4 qt every 3K miles. My wife's Captiva did the same until over 100K miles. Then it just went at 115K guzzling a quart+ every 500 miles. Got her a RAV4 now and with trade in values high enough to cover paying my loan I'm looking to get out of this time bomb soon and into a Toyota. Engines should outlast the car's body here in the rust belt.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts