GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles do you have on the Equinox or Terrain 4 cylinder engine (any model year) and what problems, if any, did you have during that time ? Does anyone have 100,000, 150,000 or 200,000 miles on the engine yet and can report on your experience with the engine ?

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
'10 with 35K miles and zero problems !

Sorry for the low mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
'12 Terrain with 44,000 miles. No problems at all. Change oil every 5K using Castrol Edge Dexos Full Synthetic 5w-30.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Have a 2011 Terrain...43,000... mobil 1 every 5500... so far so good

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I would recommend checking out the Cobalt's with high miles as they used the same engine and I have seen them with much more than 6 figures with no issues.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
hyperv6 said:
I would recommend checking out the Cobalt's with high miles as they used the same engine and I have seen them with much more than 6 figures with no issues.
Didn't know that about the Cobalts using the same engine. Did they also face zebra stripping, and if not, why not ?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Rit said:
Didn't know that about the Cobalts using the same engine. Did they also face zebra stripping, and if not, why not ?
The LE9 engine that was used in the Cobalt does not have direct injection, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is strongly tied to the carbon build-up and zebra striping problems in the LAF engine. So I doubt the same problems will be common in that engine.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Yes the Cobalt is not DI unless it is a SS Turbo. Same on the HHR SS.

There are other examples of the DI engine in other GM cars with many miles.

My point was the Ecotec in general last for many many miles. While some here have had issues many more have not.

Carbon is not a problem in every DI engine even in the same line. I am beginning to wonder if it may have to do with how and where some people drive. It may be like the old Olds Diesels where you see someone who drove easy around town and the engine had all sorts of issues. But driven hard on the road I saw many never leak or break.

There has to be some kind of common thread here with those who had issues and those who never see issues.

Note it is not an issue in the Turbo versions.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
hyperv6 said:
Y
There has to be some kind of common thread here with those who had issues and those who never see issues.
As I recall, I had a survey to collect some data, and it didn't seem to make any conclusive sense.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I replaced my 2010 I4 at 153,000 miles. Consumed 9 qts of oil every 3000 miles, and had serious "blow by." I would not recommend the I4. It is gutless, and does not live up to the MPG stated by GM.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
My greatest negative here is the engine is just a little small for a 4000 pound vehicle for most peoples taste. Some are ok with it some are not.

This engine with a turbo in my other vehicles is good for 13 second quarter miles and 160 MPH if you feel the need but it is only 3200 pounds and makes a difference. The next Nox will be much lighter and will be much better suited for this engine. Also it will get the latest version that GM has invested more money in to refine it and improve it.

GM did a lot with the transmission to get the most of the engine here but it is asked to do a lot and pure physic are absolutes. Mass here is a main issue and you have a small engine doing a lot of work. The engine is not gutless if it is in the right vehicle.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
markshop said:
I have 81000 miles on my 2011 equinox . only had the vvt selonoids replaced under warrenty..
How long have the new solenoids been n, and I'm guessing they've been trouble free, right ? I guess GM, while it took a while, got to the bottom of that problem. :thumb:

·
Registered
533 Posts
MGMSEQUINOX said:
have a 2012 fwd with 120k on it and no issues at all.
I'm curious as to how the interior is holding up after that many miles? Many old GM's would have annoying squeaks and rattles by that mileage. Is your interior still quiet and in good condition?

·
Registered
10 Posts
2011 2.4, nearing 70k. on 3rd fuel pump, second rear hatch touch pad opener, second timing chain and tensioner. Taking in soon for rust on bottom of all doors, and spoiled smell when windows down. Thankfully, I bought extended warranty. Other then some noises due to timing chain, and tensioner, and smell of fuel in oil, car runs great. Love it lots, but not sure that I would trust DI engine in future purchase.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts