GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a bad smell comming from the A/C vents. I have a 2011 terrain and I notice a moldy smell from the A/C vents every time I start my terrain up. The smell only last about a few seconds then goes away. I took it to get serviced and they sprayed some kind of disinfectant and also turned the after blow on. It was good for about 2 days then the smell came back. Anyone else had this problem? and if it got fixed, what was done to fix it. Any info/help would be great.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
No probelms here, but I really don't use the A/C that much. Welcome to the Great Northeast !

What is the "afterblow" option ?

THX

·
Registered
978 Posts
What the shop did was 2 steps in the right direction.

You may also have a plugged condensate drain hose. The hose is designed to allow excess water which to drain from the evaporator box to the outside of the car. If the hose becomes twisted or clogged from mildew it needs to be either untwisted/rerouted...or..."snaked" out to remove the mildew blockage. You may also need another spray of disinfectant.

Sounds like the shop is heading in the right direction though

After blow = After run

It is programming of the BCM to allow the running of the evaporator fan after engine shut down to assist in drying out the evaporator

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
After blow = After run

It is programming of the BCM to allow the running of the evaporator fan after engine shut down to assist in drying out the evaporator
Is that user controlled, or does the dealer need to reprogram that ?

·
Registered
978 Posts
RIT333 said:
Is that user controlled, or does the dealer need to reprogram that ?
Dealer

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wish they would have put this in the user preferences, I want to turn it on but really don't feel like scheduling a service visit.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
808SLE said:
Does anyone have a bad smell comming from the A/C vents. I have a 2011 terrain and I notice a moldy smell from the A/C vents every time I start my terrain up. The smell only last about a few seconds then goes away. I took it to get serviced and they sprayed some kind of disinfectant and also turned the after blow on. It was good for about 2 days then the smell came back. Anyone else had this problem? and if it got fixed, what was done to fix it. Any info/help would be great.
I can also look into this issue further. In order to do more research, I will need some more specific information from you such as your name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me either on the thread or via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have the same smell issue and I am interested in obtaining the programming change to allow the evaporator fan to run after engine shut down to help in drying out the evaporator. The previous solution offered to me was to turn the heat on and the A/C off five minutes before shutting the car down. That solution for such a modern car didn't really appeal to me.

Thanks for help in advance.
<quote>"It is programming of the BCM to allow the running of the evaporator fan after engine shut down to assist in drying out the evaporator"</quote>

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had this problem big time with my 2009 Malibu. The dealer finally had to take everything apart, clean it, and spray it with a special spray ordered from GM. They had already programmed the afterblow (and while that kept it from happening again, it did not solve the mildew smell by itself). I have the same problem with my Nox, but it doesn't seem to be quite as bad.

·
Registered
338 Posts
First thing I did when I took delivery of mine was to turn on the afterblow. If my wife and I get home at the same time, about 30 minutes later the Equinox and my Malibu will both be in the garage blowing away. Sounds like a small tornado is swirling inside the garage. Never had a smell on either one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The problem with my Malibu was sitting on the dealer's lot with rain water sitting in all the wrong places. I suspect Chevy needs to investigate this, as I've heard from many Impala, Malibu, Equinox, and Cruze owners complaining of the same thing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Redhorseridge said:
The problem with my Malibu was sitting on the dealer's lot with rain water sitting in all the wrong places. I suspect Chevy needs to investigate this, as I've heard from many Impala, Malibu, Equinox, and Cruze owners complaining of the same thing.
That's a curious statement. What are the wrong places that water is sitting? What is different between the dealers lot and any other outdoor parking?

·
Registered
949 Posts
My husband always turns the AC off but leaves the fan running when we turn into our neighborhood. Gives it a minute to dry out. Just a thought.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Will the dealer turn on afterblow at no charge if you are within warranty?

·
Registered
338 Posts
dishdude said:
Will the dealer turn on afterblow at no charge if you are within warranty?
Yes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
That's a curious statement. What are the wrong places that water is sitting? What is different between the dealers lot and any other outdoor parking?
All I know is that the dealer said water had collected and mildewed and wished Chevy would "redesign" that portion of the car so water couldn't do that as it was a common issue. It took them a half a day to tear apart my Malibu to fix the problem correctly.

I would also guess that driving them regularly produces airflow that helps to dry the components out that tend to mildew if they are simply sitting around outside.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Redhorseridge said:
I had this problem big time with my 2009 Malibu. The dealer finally had to take everything apart, clean it, and spray it with a special spray ordered from GM. They had already programmed the afterblow (and while that kept it from happening again, it did not solve the mildew smell by itself). I have the same problem with my Nox, but it doesn't seem to be quite as bad.
Has your concern been resolved? I would be happy to look into this for you with your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Has your concern been resolved? I would be happy to look into this for you with your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you in advance.

Yes, the dealer special ordered some sort of spray that GM has in stock for precisely this problem. They disassembled part of the car, cleaned and sprayed everything, and the problem was solved. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
808SLE said:
I have the same problem with my terrain in September and have had the same things done by the dealer and has not worked . Very frustrating when you buy a brand new vehicle and you smell this when you have lung problems and you know this is mold! What can be done?

·
Registered
949 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts