GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Mobil one bad for oil consumption?

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  rednox301 
#1 · (Edited)
I ve been reading online and it seems honda, Subaru and other drivers report oil consumption with Mobil one
here is a link
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/574749-oil-consumption-way-up-mobil-1-0w-40-a.html
what's funny is that when the dealer changed my oil there wasnt much oil loss. then when. i change my oil with mobil one I consume approx 1qt in 5000miles. I will be trying another oil. what oil do you use and what is your consumption rate

#2 ·
I believe the comparison is skewed by not using the same viscosity of oil. Obviously a 0W oil is thinner than a 5W oil, and would have the potential to have a higher consumption rate. The more accurate comparison would be to test the same oil viscosity from different brands. Also the ambient temperatures in which the vehicle is operated in and the speed and load the engine is operated at affects the oil consumption.

Reactions: tizan
#3 ·
The digit before the W is a measure of viscosity when cold and after is a measure viscosity at 100C... in a multigrade oil....so using a 0W instead of the recommended 5W means the engine is not getting lubrication it was designed for when you switch on the car ..when it is hot it is fine....because both has 40 as viscosity measure at high temperature.

So you are effectively wearing out the engine, more than designed, when accelerating hard when cold ...for example

I cannot explain why it is consuming more of the thinner oil at lower temperature....but it is a bad idea to use the wrong grades than what is recommended.

#5 · (Edited)
no I use mobil 1 5w 30 and change every 5k. going to switch to Royal purple and see if the engine likes it better. Royal purple is dexos approved. if that doesn't do any better I ll go try ac delco dexos maybe [ my engine seemed to not burn much of it] or just trade it in. and to clarify I ve always used 5w 30. my car likes to burn my mobil one. when the dealer changed my oil with their acdelco dexos I dont remember much consumption

#7 ·
I qt in 5K miles is considered very good in terms of oil consumption.
Agreed.

going to switch to Royal purple
Why not start at the bottom and work your way "up"?

Just because something cost more doesnt mean its the best for your application.

Why Royal Purple and not Lucas? Both are considered "high end" oils. Is there a difference in friction modifiers, base stocks and anti-oxidant additives that would sway you one way or the other?

I am curious, not critical.

My Terrain has 142k miles, 3.0l V6; consumes about 1/2 to 3/4qt of oil per 7500 miles (I consider that nothing). I use the cheapest 5W-30, full synthetic, Dexos1 oil on the market that I can find. I have changed 2 brands in the last 3 years and still the same oil consumption.

#8 ·
I have four fairly current GM/Chevrolet vehicles; down from five a few months ago. I use Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30 in all of them, changing at 5,000 miles or annually; fortunately I haven't noticed any of them consuming any appreciable quantity of oil between changes. The vehicles' engines are 1.4 turbo; 1.8; 2.4; 1.5 turbo; 2.0 turbo; 3.6; and a 5.3.

The 2.4 was in a 2011 Equinox LTZ, and its oil level would actually increase due to a faulty high pressure fuel pump. After further reviewing this particular GM disaster of an engine, it was swiftly traded for an model with the proven 3.6 engine.

#9 · (Edited)
I've owned +40 vehicles over the years. Except for the early worn old cars I owned when a teen and in college, none of the newer ones ever used near 1QT of oil in 5,000 miles.

None of the vehicles I've owned since 1975 from any brand used more than 6oz to 16oz of oil in 3K to 5K miles of diving. This is going by measure when draining and not counting what still may have been in the used oil filter . . (4 to 6oz after also emptying it as much as possible?)
On my 2015 Equinox with the 3.6L I can tell you that in 5,000 miles I collect about 6oz of oil in the Elite Oil Catch can I installed. So I can literally see that amount that otherwise would have been recirculated and burned via the PCV path, plus what is left in my drain pan and emptied into original new oil containers.

#10 ·
M1 extended in my 'nox 3.6 goes until oil life is at zero which is at least 9k miles. Level is at or close to the add mark by then. I've got no problem using a 15k oil and a premium filter for that long. Same for my Tahoe.
2.4 in my Malibu goes to zero on oil life and same thing, it's down or close to add mark and it runs on WM full synth. 182k on it.
I do not track the oil change mileage on my fleet anymore. Monitors are set for semi. synth. and I'm using full synth. oil.
My Co. Chevy van, 4.3 uses a qt. of oil every 25% on the oil life monitor. 108k miles on it on conv. oil. I think the PCV valve is probably bad but it's not my truck and as long as it has oil in it my butt is covered. It's a '12 and a prev. '12 van did the same thing. I had the prev. one from new and after 50k it started sucking down the oil. No leaks in both trucks either. And a 4.3 is a tough motor.

#11 ·
M1 extended in my 'nox 3.6 goes until oil life is at zero which is at least 9k miles.

Weird, because I thought these cars were forced to get to zero oil life at 7.5K miles at most. Was yours reprogrammed as part of a recall ? My '10 would have gone to about 10-11K before zero, but it was reprogrammed to trend it to 7.5K miles.

#12 ·
'nox had a center stack update, who knows what they updated in the system. My Co. Express oil life zeros out at 5k miles. That must be a fleet build thing as they only use conv. oil.

#13 ·
My 13 equinox with 2.4 and 98k on the clock in routinely burns 1/2 to 3/4 quart with Mobil 1, pennzoil or Supertech at 5,000 mile OCI intervals. Thought I’d try valvoline super-syn and it burned over 2 quarts. Did another oil change with it and burned yet two more quarts again. Every 2000 miles I was adding a quart. I’ll be sticking with Mobil 1 from now on.

#14 ·
Every 2000 miles I was adding a quart. I’ll be sticking with Mobil 1 from now on.
This is a good time to be looking for a new vehicle, I'm very serious

Reactions: Pleatia
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.