GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have an opinion or experience mixing different brands of the same viscosity synthetic motor oil?

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Personally, I view that the same as mixing different brands of gasoline. I do it all the time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
its fine....your motor doesnt know the difference....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Your insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
There won't be any adverse chemical reaction if that's what worries you. Even synthetic and dino oils can be mixed without any ill effects...but my personal opinion is that it's best to go with one or the other.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It makes sense to stick with the brand you like best. I guess this brings up another discussion which has appeared in the forum elsewhere.

·
Registered
306 Posts
No problem doing it, but why?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RSchleder said:
No problem doing it, but why?
No reason, just curious.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Some mfg's suggest you can if on the road, but should change the oil when you get back because not all additive packages are compatable with each other.
When I go on long bike trips (just got back from 3500 miles into Canada and back) I usually bring along a quart just in case. I wouldn't have any reservations about mixing oil for a short time. When I was younger, and oil cost around 30 cents/qt. I put in whatever was on sale. Now I use Amsoil synthetic exclusively because it is one of the best oils and I get it at dealer cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts