GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Based on the build sheet, my 2020 Terrain SLT was built in July 2019. The 2020 Terrain's are supposed to have the GMC Pro Safety features installed as standard equipment:
Based on the same build sheet this is what is actually installed on the car

GMC PRO Safety Package Standard Equipment

Code Description Vehicle Build Listing
UHY Automatic Emergency Braking Missing
UEU Forward Collision Alert Missing
UHX Lane Keep Assist/Lane Departure Warning Missing
UE4 Following Distance Indicator Missing
UKJ Front Pedestrian Braking Missing
TQ5 Intellibeam Headlamps Installed

Some of these would be hard to detect unless you get into an emergency situation, but the Lane Keep Assist is easy to acknowledge. If the car moves towards a lane marker, the steering wheel DOES NOT move the car back into the lane. The seat vibration indication is also inconsistent. Two different GM dealers have provided convoluted responses stating the "car is working as designed"
Has anyone else experienced these omissions? GM has not provided a satisfactory response, so I have engaged a law firm that specializes in "lemon law" situations

·
Registered
455 Posts
The car most likely is working as designed. There are specific circumstances where the LKA is not active, and some where it is. From the manual:

LKA may help avoid crashes due to unintentional lane departures. This system uses a camera to detect lane markings between 60 km/h (37 mph) and 180 km/h (112 mph). It may assist by gently turning the steering wheel if the vehicle approaches a detected lane marking. It may also provide a Lane Departure Warning (LDW) alert if the vehicle crosses a detected lane marking. LKA can be overriden by turning the steering wheel. This system is not intended to keep the vehicle centered in the lane. LKA will not assist and alert if the turn signal is active in the direction of lane departure, or if it detects that you are accelerating,braking or actively steering.

Basically, you need to be driving straight between 37 and 112 mph(!), not actively turning the steering wheel, accelerating, braking, or using your turn signal. Then, if the camera sees the lane marking and the vehicle gets what it deems to be too close, it may gently try to bring you back over. If you are intentionally trying to get the system to work by steering close to a lane marking the car is probably detecting that as "active steering" and not doing anything to counteract it.

If two different dealers have said it is working as designed, that is most likely the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interestingly, I reviewed the build sheets for other 2020 Terrain's and the safety option descriptions were listed on those sheets. I test drove those cars and the LKA worked as expected. On my car the descriptions are missing from the safety codes. The automatic emergency breaking also doesn't work as expected. I've had other GM cars and some from other manufacturers and the lane keep and emergency breaking concepts work as expected. I should have added, GM has stated the safety options are not installed on the car. They are claiming that all 2020 Terrain's may not have the safety features, even though their sites and documentation clearly state "All 2020 Terrain's" have the safety features

·
Registered
455 Posts
Does the RPO label on your car show the option codes? That would be the definitive answer. If the codes for the safety items are on your vehicle's RPO sticker they are installed. If they are not listed, you do not have the features. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Safety Package was NOT standard on all 2020 GMC Terrains that were ordered as fleet vehicles. The Safety Package was optional on 2020 fleet versions. The Safety Package did not become standard on all fleet versions until 2021.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts