GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else has "lost" their antenna... I noticed someone had one on their car and then went to research if the '11 equinox's did indeed come with an antenna. Seems as if I have lost mine somehow. It looks as if the antenna just screwed out of where it was. I don't listen to AM/FM really so I never noticed any reception loss. Not sure if this is the same antenna for XM. Anyone wondering how much this would be to replace? Or if I should even bother to replace it? I know for a fact I had an antenna at one point in time because I have a picture from one of the first days I got my nox. ???

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If you have a nice dealer, maybe they will get you one no charge.
You'll notice reception problems when you get to fringe areas of AM/FM stations without an antenna.

We had a cover on one of the wiper blade arms "mysteriously" disappear.
Dealer had one for us couple days later no charge and the vehicle is 1-1/4 years old.
Mind you, it's probably a part that's worth $1 but your vehicle is relatively new.

I'd definitely complain about your antenna "falling off" by itself.
It was probably loose and got knocked off in a car wash.
;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like an idiot for having it fall off. Perhaps it hit the top of the garage door as I was backing out? I really don't have a clue. You think I would have found the antenna the next day or something. Pretty ridiculous. Or... I could just say I don't know what happened to it or if I had one ? ;D Is it for XM/Onstar do you know? I read that it was, but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It is for XM and OnStar as well.
Things happen.
Who the heck looks up everyday to see if their antenna is still on?
Not me, I drove to work with one tire almost flat today LOL!

See how nice your dealer is.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Perfect opportunity to get a "sharkfin" antenna painted in the same body color. Reception will be fine and it will look better..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The funny thing about it is that I have the OnStar MyLink app on my phone and am able to remote start the car and update the information on my phone just fine. I am also able to call onstar just fine. I usually only listen to XM radio too and it is usually good quality sound.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you cant get one from the dealer; they're like $12 on gmparts direct.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
NoobNox said:
Perfect opportunity to get a "sharkfin" antenna painted in the same body color. Reception will be fine and it will look better..[/color]
Yes, and perhaps it won't go missing cause of low clearance somewhere?
;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
barn07 said:
I feel like an idiot for having it fall off.
Don't! Mine was NOT screwed in all the way, and barely on there when I removed it after about a week of having the car - they did not screw it it properly at the factory.
I'd argue same thing happened here and see if they will get you one for free. After buying a 20~30K car a one time thing like this for something so cheap should be service.

M

·
0 Posts
The screw on antenna is for AM/FM reception only. The antenna's for XM and Onstar is separate and built in to the base of the whole assembly.
But, as others mentioned a perfect oportunity or excuse to get the sharkfin antenna. I got one, looks awesome...just waiting until the spring to put it on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually, I think they are shipped to the dealers with the antenna off and the dealer attaches it as part of the prep they do to the vehicle.

·
Registered
626 Posts
mmarges said:
I got one, looks awesome...just waiting until the spring to put it on.
Picture? Link? ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mnussbaum said:
Picture? Link? ;)
Yeah, does anyone have a picture or a link. Where would I get one of these?

M

·
0 Posts
Go to this link
http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=567.0

A member posted some pics and the website and directions on how to place your order. The website doesn't have the proper part# and color codes in the automatic pull down menue selection so follow this guys directions. This is what I did and it was very simple.
Attached are some pics of mine...uninstalled so you can see what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
Does anybody have a picture of this thing actually on their vehicle?

M

·
0 Posts
There are many pictures members have posted with their sharkfin installed in other posts. Simply type in "shark fin antenna" in the search window up above and up with come all the posts of members talking about this subject. Go into them and you will find many pictures.

·
Registered
748 Posts
mmarges said:
There are many pictures members have posted with their sharkfin installed in other posts. Simply type in "shark fin antenna" in the search window up above and up with come all the posts of members talking about this subject. Go into them and you will find many pictures.
I'll check those out. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts