GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a GMS Terrain SLE-2 v6 FWD. It has the 1 1/4" towing hitch. I have always used the 2" hitches so I'm uncertain, based on my use, whether or not to swap it out with a 2".

I typically tow a 5x10 trailer. I either pull a motorcycle or a 4-wheeler. No problem there as the 1 1/4" hitch rates up to 3500lbs. However, sometimes, I may this trailer filled with rocks... full. I have no idea how heavy a trailer full of rock is but it is pretty heavy. The vehicle manual states a maximum towing of 3500lbs but I'm not sure if this is because of the hitch or the engine.

For those with experience in this area, I have two questions:

1. Do you think I should swap out the 1 1/4" hitch with a 2"?

2. Will my v6 handle more than 3500lbs?

Heck, I will throw this one out there to, just in case... What would a 5x10 trailer full of rock weigh? How can I tell if the weight is too much?

Thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
As far as the 2" vs. 1 1/4" receiver question, there are certainly more accessories available for 2" receivers...just look at any truck catalog. A 2" receiver either installed or done with an adapter will not limit or expand your towing capacity. The Terrain/Equinox are rated as 3500 lbs due to transmission torque rating. I would advise not to exceed that because any future claims of warranty work would likely be denied, as most any shop could tear into a damaged tranny and spot signs of overwork and abuse.

For your trailer weight question, just find out how much your trailer weighs empty. That amount subtracted from 3500 is how many pounds of rocks, mulch or gold bullion that you can carry. Just like the joke that asks which is heavier... pound of feathers weighs or a pound of lead. Any ways...what is more important is what capacity the trailer is rated for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts