GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As our member numbers increase and the weather gets nicer I have a question to throw there. Has anyone played with manual shifting? I haven't yet, but was wondering if many have been using the option of manual shifting. Your reaction if you have used it? Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SnowItch do you think it gave the Nox a "sporty" feel. or just slow as you stated. Again I haven't tried it yet, just curious. Does the 6 speed auto work just as well or better?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've used mine a couple of times. I would say that it gives you a bit more control of the RPMs.

You have to keep in mind that it's not really manual shifting. It simply tells the transmission the top gear it will enter into. It's called Electronic Range Selection (or some-such). In downshifting it would seem closer to a tiptronic or autostick.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Terrain said:
I've used mine a couple of times. I would say that it gives you a bit more control of the RPMs.

You have to keep in mind that it's not really manual shifting. It simply tells the transmission the top gear it will enter into. It's called Electronic Range Selection (or some-such). In downshifting it would seem closer to a tiptronic or autostick.
This is exaclty right. It is not a tiptronic as in most other vehicles. It does not provide gear selection but just locks out gears above what you select.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. I have a better understanding of the tranny now. I think I let the six speed do it's thing and leave it alone. Until I hook up to the trailer and head to the compost site.

Happy Easter to all!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Might be OK for dropping a gear or two down a hill, maybe for keeping a lower gear for towing, etc., but this is definitely not a tiptronic type playtoy. I've tried it a few times and SnowGov is right on...just let the 6 speed do it's thing!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't call it sporty because as Snowitch indicated the shifts are a bit lazy.

What I wouldn't have minded would have been the ability to tap the 'minus' button (or a double-tap to prevent accidentally downshifting) to get it to temporarily shift to the next lower gear, while still in D. One of my biggest complaints of this tranny is it's a bit reluctant to downshift in certain instances. I realize it does 'something' when you move from D to M at higher speeds, but I'm not sure if it is just unlocking the torque converter or actually shifting down a gear.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Terrain said:
Yeah, I wouldn't call it sporty because as Snowitch indicated the shifts are a bit lazy.

What I wouldn't have minded would have been the ability to tap the 'minus' button (or a double-tap to prevent accidentally downshifting) to get it to temporarily shift to the next lower gear, while still in D. One of my biggest complaints of this tranny is it's a bit reluctant to downshift in certain instances. I realize it does 'something' when you move from D to M at higher speeds, but I'm not sure if it is just unlocking the torque converter or actually shifting down a gear.[/color]
The gear you're in is (apparently ??) displayed in the DIC when you've selected Manual Shifting.

Overall, I find it OK to play around with the few times that I have.
You can wind her up pretty high going in and out of a corner, for example, or to use for dynamic braking.
If I remember correctly, I think I speed shifted from 2nd to 5th at around 4 or 5 (or was it 6 LOL) grand a few months ago.
You can feel you're working in the power band around that RPM range.
DOH, company, gotta run!
Happy Easter to all that celebrate in case we don't catch you tomorrow!

·
Registered
698 Posts
gearhead said:
The gear you're in is (apparently ??) displayed in the DIC when you've selected Manual Shifting.
Actually, what's displayed is the highest gear you have 'approved' the transmission to shift to. Sometimes that is the current gear.

What I was referring to was, if you were cruising along and shift from D to M (at least on mine) something 'kicks down'. This doesn't happen with yours?

gearhead said:
Happy Easter to all that celebrate in case we don't catch you tomorrow!
To you and yours too...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ours will downshift into the appropriate "fun" gear. At 60, ours will go from 6th to 4th.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If I wanted to play with the trans, I'd have bought sports car. I've had my string of manual shift sports cars. Now I want the luxury of not having to shift.
I think they should have spent the money on other things...like 1 touch window up function, a better rear wiper setup or even side mouldings.

JMHO

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Terrain said:
Actually, what's displayed is the highest gear you have 'approved' the transmission to shift to. Sometimes that is the current gear.

What I was referring to was, if you were cruising along and shift from D to M (at least on mine) something 'kicks down'. This doesn't happen with yours?[/color]
To you and yours too...
Yes, it does shift down and the REV's quickly leap up into the 3000-4000 RPM range (from memory).

bballr4567 said:
Ours will downshift into the appropriate "fun" gear. At 60, ours will go from 6th to 4th.
Now there's a good way to put it!
8)

GARYD said:
If I wanted to play with the trans, I'd have bought sports car. I've had my string of manual shift sports cars. Now I want the luxury of not having to shift.
I think they should have spent the money on other things...like 1 touch window up function, a better rear wiper setup or even side mouldings.

JMHO
Ditto, but hey, it's there, gotta see what she can do, although for some the novelty will wear off quickly.
;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Exactly, experienced the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We took a Terrain on a ski trip to West Virginia from DC in February and found the manual shifting to be invaluable. It was snowing the entire time, and while going up and down hills (with a few inches of packed snow/ice on the ground) it is MUCH safer to be able to downshift instead of riding the brakes. Also, when we were going up and down hills and mountains, putting the car in manual mode and controlling its shifting that way made the ride much smoother and easier on the braks and mpg.

While one touch windows would be great, I woudn't trade the manual shifting for anything. Also, I love the button on the side instead of having to move the shifter back and forth. It just works better and is easier IMO.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't manual shift mine but I will slot it in neutral for nice long coasts. The transmission acts a little too much as a brake if you want to coast with it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
MACATOWA said:
I don't manual shift mine but I will slot it in neutral for nice long coasts. The transmission acts a little too much as a brake if you want to coast with it.
Ive noticed this as well. Even with our 09 Malibu with the same trans, it didnt slow down the car near as much. We could coast much farther in it than in the Terrain.

·
Registered
136 Posts
FWIW..........the GM engine and electronic controller are designed (like most new cars) to shut down the fuel injectors when you take your foot off the gas in any gear. I.E. no gas is burned while coasting , but in neutral, the injectors are burning gas. Considering the potential for not having power in an sudden emergency, no closer than a few seconds away, ( takes a few moments for drivetrain/engine to mesh) I'd stay in Drive, coast in complete control, and enjoy the gas savings.
JIMHO

MM

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
MM, you are right.

However, it seems the DFCO is particularly intense on the Terrain as it literally nose dives when you take your foot off the gas. Its more than annoying when you are trying to coast to a red light but the engine braking is so intense you stop without hitting the brake.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I might wager that savings of coasting without engine breaking outweigh the effect of no injectors but engine is breaking sooner so you have to stay on the pedal longer. My experience with the 17" Michelins and 35 psi is that it coasts twice as far in neutral as it would with your foot of the gas, also it engages instantly and smoothly when you put it back in drive no mater how fast or slow you are going.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts