GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the manual shift quite a bit for dynamic braking. It has stopped working. Everything else about the transmission works fine. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Others that have had this issue had to have the switch itself replaced.

Doing this to downshift the transmission is not good for the transmission btw. Brakes are cheaper than transmissions...

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
dont know how often the OP does it.

But I manually shift both the Nox and Traverse when going down/up mtn roads.
Down- for Engine braking- as not to overheat the brakes.

Up- to control the RPMs for better engine response

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
rbarrios said:
dont know how often the OP does it.

But I manually shift both the Nox and Traverse when going down/up mtn roads.
Down- for Engine braking- as not to overheat the brakes.

Up- to control the RPMs for better engine response
Have fun and do whatever you want to with your vehicle, but the brakes aren't going to come close to overheating unless you are pulling a trailer or something. Downshifting in this scenario puts increased wear on your transmission (which is not a wear-item, e.g. not meant to be replaced once worn) versus your brakes (which are wear-items). The only scenario where I have found this to be necessary/advisable is driving a steep descent on a snow-covered hill where you want to have the additional control afforded by engine breaking when the engine is at a higher RPM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem and dealer wants 147.95 for the part. Apparently it is the whole top part of the shifter that includes the switch....anybody have a part # or know where such a "beast" can be purchased.. I do not use it very often but would like it working. Am in Canada by the way

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
If you drove up/down in D--- its still going to shift as you speed up and slow down on curves.......

What im doing is controlling in what gear the trans remains in--- so as to take advantage of engine compression and RPMs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ralphalph said:
Doing this to downshift the transmission is not good for the transmission btw. Brakes are cheaper than transmissions...
I don't see how it's any worse for the transmission than the computer downshifting...you're just commanding it to do it. Otherwise itll downshift itself anyways. How is it any different? The computer still has ultimate control...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2014 Terrain also and doing the same thing.

I had to dealer and they replaced the Transmission Control Module as under the 160.000 warranty but did not fix it.

They say its the body control module which is not covered under warranty as I have over 60,000 on it. They want about $550.00 for the repair.

From what I am reading it may be the switch or broken wire and I am not interested in paying for a repair that may not do the job like the first one. GM would do nothing for me as I complained and they say it is not covered under the power train. So they were unwilling to help. Anything that's a problem like wheel bearings (they stopped covering a few years ago) I think they drop off warranty.

I am still checking on how I can fix myself as I like to have it working. I will post when I find out what was wrong with mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey i am a GM Techniciam that works at laura buick i just fixed one of these issues today it had a new shift knob replaced but didnt fix it and its not common for the bcm to go out. i ended up replace the actual shift lever assembly and it fixed the issue one of the wires in the assebly was cut and had to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey i am a GM Techniciam that works at laura buick i just fixed one of these issues today it had a new shift knob replaced but didnt fix it and its not common for the bcm to go out. i ended up replace the actual shift lever assembly and it fixed the issue one of the wires in the assebly was cut and had to replace.
Hi, would you please let us know how much it costed you for replacing the actual shift lever assembly? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem and dealer wants 147.95 for the part. Apparently it is the whole top part of the shifter that includes the switch....anybody have a part # or know where such a "beast" can be purchased.. I do not use it very often but would like it working. Am in Canada by the way
I know you posted this awhile ago but did you ever fix it? We r having the same issue with our 2015 terrain. We bought a new shifter and had it installed and it didn’t fix the problem. I’d like to fix it ourself and not spend a fortune at the dealership

1 - 14 of 14 Posts