GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really must be a way. Is an amp swap an option? Couldn't we just swap out out our 4cyl amp for a six cyl. one? Or even a pioneer "up-grade" one?

·
Registered
472 Posts
g8crapachino said:
What exactly are you asking for? In the 4 cylinder models the sub speaker is used for Active Noise Cancelling not for music.
Unless you have the Pioneer system it is active then. The only solution for non Pioneeer systems is a stand alone sub if you want to keep active noise cancellation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mochaman said:
Unless you have the Pioneer system it is active then. The only solution for non Pioneeer systems is a stand alone sub if you want to keep active noise cancellation.
I DON'T WANT TO KEEP ANC. i'D LIKE TO "SWAP OUT" MY 6 SPEAKER AMP FOR THE "UPGRADED" 8 SPEAKER AND ADD THE CENTER SPEAKER. POSSIBLE?

SORRY FOR THE CAPS.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
gorsini99 said:
I DON'T WANT TO KEEP ANC. i'D LIKE TO "SWAP OUT" MY 6 SPEAKER AMP FOR THE "UPGRADED" 8 SPEAKER AND ADD THE CENTER SPEAKER. POSSIBLE?

SORRY FOR THE CAPS.
I know you stated you don't want to keep the ANC, but you could prob just mount a sub in its place in the rear. Here is a thread on here about upgrading the sound system while retaining the ANC. I know you want to get rid of it, but it may give you some insight on what is involved on upgrading .

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=2368.0

hope it helps. Use the search feature on this forum as well, it takes a bit but it does work!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I upgraded the entire ssystem. I kept the factory head unit, changed all door speakers, and modified the factory sub box the use a shallow Memphis Car Audio 10 inch sub.and a couple amps. Memphis makes a blue tooth device that allows you to install an aftermarket amp without hard wiring to head unit. The system sounds amazing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yolo said:
I upgraded the entire ssystem. I kept the factory head unit, changed all door speakers, and modified the factory sub box the use a shallow Memphis Car Audio 10 inch sub.and a couple amps. Memphis makes a blue tooth device that allows you to install an aftermarket amp without hard wiring to head unit. The system sounds amazing.
Did that keep the ANC working or kill it?

Here's my strange story. I had a '12 Nox LS, standard 6 spkr stereo (with the monochrome screen). BUT it sounded amazing because the subwoofer WORKED. Yup.

So I just got a new 2016 Nox LS. Upgraded the stereo to the color screen version that can read ipod etc., but still standard 6 spker stereo. I'm thinking, now I'm really going to be happy. NOPE. The subwoofer is NOT working in the new Nox! WTF.

I've been reading all these people talking about the sub not working in what seems to be earlier years and later years. What happened? Did they decide people wouldn't upgrade to the Pioneer stereo if they made the stock one sound too good?

So now I just want to make it work, and since it DID WORK in the 2012, I'm figuring this has to be a really easy fix. I just need someone who really knows the wiring and models to tell me how to make it work just like the 2012 did. Anyone?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well all i did was get the pioneer system amp w/anc and at the same time upgraded my door speakers w/4 Infinity Reference 6032cf's .
Paid $55 w/free shipping from an Ebay seller for the oem amp......

Take care , Ed

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought the stock 8 channel pioneer amp off ebay and swapped it out with the 6 channel amp that came with the SLE1 model. I upgraded the speakers in the car to some Polk audio. System works perfect and the Active Noise Cancellation still working. The amp is a pain in the butt to replace because it is in a tight spot, but it's just plug and go. The subwoofer is pretty impressive, couldn't believe the subwoofer was there and wasn't active, but it's all good now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So if I understand this correctly all Terrains have the subwoofer but it is not active on certain models amd strictly for ANC? I have a SLT-2 I4 and I can hear bass coming from the sub.

·
Registered
909 Posts
ALL '10-up Eqiinox/Terrain have the actual sub. On the base I4, it's used for ANC ONLY. On I4's with the Pioneer upgrade, it's used for ANC and music. V6's don't have ANC and the Pioneer system is a required option to get the V6, so it's used for music only on the V6 models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
crazytlingit said:
I just bought the stock 8 channel pioneer amp off ebay and swapped it out with the 6 channel amp that came with the SLE1 model. I upgraded the speakers in the car to some Polk audio. System works perfect and the Active Noise Cancellation still working. The amp is a pain in the butt to replace because it is in a tight spot, but it's just plug and go. The subwoofer is pretty impressive, couldn't believe the subwoofer was there and wasn't active, but it's all good now.
So, I thought you and elrGMC had finally given me the answer I needed. I have a 2016 Nox LS I4 with the color screen radio no nav and wanted to get the subwoofer working. I replaced the door speakers first and it made some difference in the sound. Then, I bought the upgraded amp from ebay. Apparently the model number on the UZ8 amp changed around 2012 from 20880431 to 22855806, but it appeared from reading that it didn't matter. I bought one from the earlier years (20880431) and it didn't run the front speakers or the sub...only the rear door speakers. That also kills bluetooth phone call sound and chimes, which come from the front. I thought it was defective, sent it back, got another same model, didn't work. It occurred to me that maybe the change in model number came with the advent of the bluetooth connectivity (which I have), so I sent the second one back and bought one from the later models (22855806). I really thought I had figured it out. NOPE! Same thing...only rear doors work. So, now I'm in here again trying to figure out whether something changed in 2016, or if maybe the radio somehow needs its software changed to make it work.

Reading on another topic, it sounds like the wiring may have changed. Does anyone know if something changed in 2016, or do I have to somehow update/change the radio software?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something changed in 2016 the wires are different and there's not enough of them. I'm having the same problem with a 2017.
Previously had a 2013 with updated amps and sub no problem.

The odd thing is I removed the factory amp completely and the rear speakers still work?
The dealer I'm working with has been talking to GM and they will not give them any info on the change.
They say they can't, Apparently it's some big secret.

It's very frustrating and stupid. I see they're back to the old GM, JUST SHUT UP AND TAKE WHAT WE GIVE YOU!
If there's no resolution to this issue this will be my last GM product, besides before long I think they'll all be made in china.
My dealer's sales manager told me he didn't know how he felt about GM bringing cars in from china. I asked him how many main land Chinese
will walk into his dealership to buy or lease a car. He thought for a second and said probably none. I said exactly !!!

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
What makes you think any other car brand or model will be different?

Technology moves along and more and more in vehicles becomes "module" operated. These modules and wiring can change form year to year. The days of adding a couple 6x9 speakers to the rear deck and maybe a sub are gone. Even back then, new wires were often needed to make things work.

Understandable that you are frustrated in what you want to do with your sound system. And just because what worked in 2013 does not in 2017, does not mean there haven't been improvements. 2017 models have Car Play , Android Auto and other features. Older models, even 2014 and 2015 will never get that. With additions come changes. Personally, I do not like that the CD player is being eliminated on most vehicles. Interesting it is still present on some more upscale cars . . . . for now.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Up_late said:
Something changed in 2016 the wires are different and there's not enough of them. I'm having the same problem with a 2017.

The odd thing is I removed the factory amp completely and the rear speakers still work?
The dealer I'm working with has been talking to GM and they will not give them any info on the change.
Some of the wiring has changed for 2016-2017, it has been almost identical for 2013-2015.
The 2016 GM Service Manual won't be out until the end of Oct. 2016.
The 2017 Manual is almost a year away.

Try an independent shop who has ALLDATA , Mitchell 1, or something equivalent for 2016.
Other than that it's the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Up_late said:

It's very frustrating and stupid. I see they're back to the old GM, JUST SHUT UP AND TAKE WHAT WE GIVE YOU!
If there's no resolution to this issue this will be my last GM product, besides before long I think they'll all be made in china.
My dealer's sales manager told me he didn't know how he felt about GM bringing cars in from china. I asked him how many main land Chinese
will walk into his dealership to buy or lease a car. He thought for a second and said probably none. I said exactly !!!
Removed amp completely and the rear speakers still work? How the hell is that even possible? Now I'm really confused...and frustrated. Why the big secret?

If there's less wires, it almost seems like the rear speakers are being driven directly from the radio unit? Remember, after I put in the upgraded amp, ONLY the rear speakers work. The fact that the rear speakers work with NO AMP is a clue to figuring this out, somehow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update. Sent Mary T. Barra an e-mail and much to my surprise I received a call from her executive offices. They said they wanted to help me resolve this and would contact the dealer I'm working with and get back to me in a couple of days. Great I thought, I got a call back today from that same person telling me in so many words
to take a hike and no help would be given. I was told they do not endorse or support any third party upgrades in their vehicles. I'm confused because it's now my vehicle
and I can do whatever I want with it. This is the same old arrogant GM and what the customer wants doesn't matter. Shut up and take what we give you. The dealership
is still scratching their heads on this one. They don't understand how the rear speakers still work with amp out. I will fix this if I have to buy the metra kit to replace the factory radio and re-wire to each speaker. This is my last GM product. I will no longer recommend GM to friends, family and clients. Instead I will share this experience with as many people that will listen. It's bad enough they're building cars in China and shipping them back here for sale.
I hope those same Chinese workers can buy those cars, out of work Americans cannot.

F*** GM.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Up_late said:
Update. Sent Mary T. Barra an e-mail and much to my surprise I received a call from her executive offices. They said they wanted to help me resolve this and would contact the dealer I'm working with and get back to me in a couple of days. Great I thought, I got a call back today from that same person telling me in so many words
to take a hike and no help would be given. I was told they do not endorse or support any third party upgrades in their vehicles. I'm confused because it's now my vehicle
and I can do whatever I want with it. This is the same old arrogant GM and what the customer wants doesn't matter. Shut up and take what we give you. The dealership
is still scratching their heads on this one. They don't understand how the rear speakers still work with amp out. I will fix this if I have to buy the metra kit to replace the factory radio and re-wire to each speaker. This is my last GM product. I will no longer recommend GM to friends, family and clients. Instead I will share this experience with as many people that will listen. It's bad enough they're building cars in China and shipping them back here for sale.
I hope those same Chinese workers can buy those cars, out of work Americans cannot.

F*** GM.
Do you really expect GM to help you troubleshoot problems with aftermarket changes that you are making to your vehicle ? There are millions of changes that you can make, and you cannot expect GM to spend time helping you with these changes.

I going to have to side with Mary T. Barra on this one. :thumb:

I'm afraid that you are on your own, or any help that you can get from your aftermarket parts manufacturer, or any members of forums.

Sorry !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rit said:
Do you really expect GM to help you troubleshoot problems with aftermarket changes that you are making to your vehicle ? There are millions of changes that you can make, and you cannot expect GM to spend time helping you with these changes.

I going to have to side with Mary T. Barra on this one. :thumb:

I'm afraid that you are on your own, or any help that you can get from your aftermarket parts manufacturer, or any members of forums.

Sorry !
I'm not using aftermarket products. I'm trying to make the upgrade using original GM parts, because its a company vehicle (company won't purchase with upgrade and I have to leave it "stock"). Even if we were using aftermarket parts, I believe they should supply the information that shows how the machine works, which as I understand it, they normally do for mechanics manuals. If you needed to fix your brakes and there was an odd part you weren't familiar with, how would you feel if they told you, take a hike-we're not telling you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank You Jammus, I'm making every effort to keep the factory system in place with one upgrade. The factory speakers and amp are
complete cheap junk in my option. The changes they made to the wiring in 2016 defies logic and that's according to the dealer as well.
I'm just asking for basic information that is available for most cars in repair manuals. Even the dealer who needs this information for repairs and trouble shooting
is not given this information. So what's the big secret? A little cooperation goes a long way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts