GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to adjust my lumbar support tonight when I heard a loud pop and the lumbar went limp inside the seat. Anyone else had this happen? I'm sure I'll have to order the support. My question is does anyone have the service manual and wouldn't mind sending me the repair section for this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just let the dealer fix it since it's covered under warranty... or did you go over your 36K bumper-to-bumper??

Phantm006 said:
I was trying to adjust my lumbar support tonight when I heard a loud pop and the lumbar went limp inside the seat. Anyone else had this happen? I'm sure I'll have to order the support. My question is does anyone have the service manual and wouldn't mind sending me the repair section for this?

·
Registered
978 Posts
From GM...

PI0246A

2010-2011
Equinox, Terrain - Front seat power lumbar support inoperative
Replace only the screws. A revised screw has been released
Don't replace the lumbar assembly

The pop noise you heard is probably the screws, and you should NOT need a new support...just replacement of the failed attachment screws with the newly released stronger ones

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solrak69 said:
Just let the dealer fix it since it's covered under warranty... or did you go over your 36K bumper-to-bumper??
Nah. I'm right around 16K. I need to slow up as I haven't even had the car a whole year. But I've been making a lot of career moves and I guess a car is meant to be driven. Right?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MOCHANOX said:
Thanks for the timely response. How'd you find the info so quick? I pushed the switch a few times and now you can hear the motor and feel something moving inside the seat. The motor was silent beforehand. I hope it's not damaged. But you can tell by the feel it's not operating right.
From GM...

PI0246A

2010-2011
Equinox, Terrain - Front seat power lumbar support inoperative
Replace only the screws. A revised screw has been released
Don't replace the lumbar assembly

The pop noise you heard is probably the screws, and you should NOT need a new support...just replacement of the failed attachment screws with the newly released stronger ones

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It is simply a bolt that has worked loose...it will take the dealership less than 30 minutes to fix and nothing major will have to be replaced.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had my lumbar support do that back in the end of February. I wasn't aware of a TSB about it and wasn't told by the dealer. Anyway, they had the vehicle for one day, had the seat out and didn't have the bolts to fix it (it's a spring held by bolts that expands -- I always thought it was an air bladder, especially since i heard the loud pop). Now it's going back in tomorrow now that the parts are in. It is NOT a 30 minute fix according to my dealer, but an all-day repair. They will have a loaner ready for me this time. Apparently, they remove the seat out of the vehicle (you'll lose your saved seating positions), and must disassemble the back to access the lumbar part in question.

Good luck and let me know if your dealer does it in 30 minutes. BTW, my Terrain was a 36500 KM when it went (though the vehicle is only 9 months old).

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
alaric23 said:
I had my lumbar support do that back in the end of February. I wasn't aware of a TSB about it and wasn't told by the dealer. Anyway, they had the vehicle for one day, had the seat out and didn't have the bolts to fix it (it's a spring held by bolts that expands -- I always thought it was an air bladder, especially since i heard the loud pop). Now it's going back in tomorrow now that the parts are in. It is NOT a 30 minute fix according to my dealer, but an all-day repair. They will have a loaner ready for me this time. Apparently, they remove the seat out of the vehicle (you'll lose your saved seating positions), and must disassemble the back to access the lumbar part in question.

Good luck and let me know if your dealer does it in 30 minutes. BTW, my Terrain was a 36500 KM when it went (though the vehicle is only 9 months old).
You either had a different issue or your dealer is incompetent...I had my lumbar "pop" just as described in the OP, took my Nox to the dealership the next morning, and didn't even have time to finish my cup of coffee in the waiting room before they called my name on the intercom. My invoice simply stated "replaced bolt in seat lumbar adjustment" or something like that..

·
Registered
978 Posts
The fix is not a time consuming repair.

Not all Dealer Service Departments schedule their repairs the same way...and/or...due to small staffing and or Dispatching issues...may advise customers they need the vehicle for the whole day.

If one were to look up the Warranty Labor Time allowance for this particular repair though...in fact it could be done "while you wait"...

Does NOT mean Dealers are required to perform the repair this way however.

This is just an example of how superior service compares to average service...yet it is important to keep in mind superior service may take longer due to time limitations self or otherwise imposed on the service department.

In a perfect world Service Departments would have 25 Technicans all with extensive training and a Parts department with everything in stock just waiting for us to come in

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine popped twice. The first time they didn't seem aware of any TSB so it took them a while to repair it (a few hours). I believe they simply replaced the screws. It broke again about 6 months ago and now they claim that GM has issued special screws to fix the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine poped about a month ago, took it in for my regular service and told them about it and they replaced the bolts. Have not had any problems since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts