GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new to this forum and GMC Terrain. We bought a 2012 last week. I have a special needs sister who will ride in the front passenger seat three or four times a week. She goes on her own from a wheel chair to the seat. Her wheel chair folds and fits in the back with the rear seat pushed forward about 4 inches. Sunday we found that when you park on unlevel ground that would make the distance more from the ground to the seat she can not get into the Terrain. We did try all the above before the Terrain was bought but the vehicle was on level ground at the time and unlevel ground was not considered. We notice the passenger seat sits about 2-3 inches higher than the driver seat. Is there a way to remove part of or re position the frame of the passenger seat to lower the seat 2-3 inches. Life for her and us would be a little easier.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Check with your dealer or GM. There used to be a program where GM would pay a certain amount for modifications to be made. I'm not familiar with what they might have now, but it used to be $1000.00. Many dealerships use outside sources for modifications and might be able to refer you to one who can help.

I found this site about the GM Mobility Program. I can not post links yet so search for this

gmmobility.com/mobility-reimbursements/

·
Registered
472 Posts
It sounds like the difference between regular and power seat height. I wonder if GM could modify a drivers power seat to fit the passenger side if that would allow it to be lower. Don't know why they don't offer that as an option to begin with.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Has your concern been resolved? I would be happy to look into this for you as well. Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have this same issue when people ride with me. 2011 LTZ without power for the passenger is a joke. Most vehicles offer a lever that will raise or lower the seat height, but I've been told I'm stuck with the seat as is.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If nothing else maybe finding a power pass seat on say ebay! Power is probably already under the seat!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2013 Nox lt. It has a 6 way power seat. I had to get the convenience package. It works great. My wife had to have the seat higher.

·
Registered
682 Posts
k9bytes said:
I have a 2013 Nox lt. It has a 6 way power seat. I had to get the convenience package. It works great. My wife had to have the seat higher.
I think that you mean you have the power drivers seat they are looking for the passenger seat to be lowered.
Timowen1 it might be best to do a search for a shop that does accessibility mods try goo ogle to see who might be in your area.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Loubiere said:
Has anyone come up with a way to do this?
I think it is offered as an option in the '14 models, so you can either search salvage yards, buy the parts from a dealer, or other parts supplier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
darkside said:
I think that you mean you have the power drivers seat they are looking for the passenger seat to be lowered.
Timowen1 it might be best to do a search for a shop that does accessibility mods try goo ogle to see who might be in your area.
Darkside,
I have a 6 way passenger seat as well as a power drivers seat. It was an option on the 13 LT. It was in the convenence pkg My wife needed the seat to be higher.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I would consult GM as anymore there is more than just moving a seat.

You have to consider the belts and the air bags as they are set to target at the seat height that is factory. If you move the seat they can be made not effective by missing or even dangerous if they hit someone in the wrong spots.

Have been hit with an air bag one I would recommend that you have them check it out before you do anything. I did not get hurt in the crash but I was cut, bruised and burned by the bags and if they had hit me in the wrong spot may have hurt even more.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
hyperv6 said:
I would consult GM as anymore there is more than just moving a seat.

You have to consider the belts and the air bags as they are set to target at the seat height that is factory. If you move the seat they can be made not effective by missing or even dangerous if they hit someone in the wrong spots.

Have been hit with an air bag one I would recommend that you have them check it out before you do anything. I did not get hurt in the crash but I was cut, bruised and burned by the bags and if they had hit me in the wrong spot may have hurt even more.
Good warning...but, the airbag probably has a lot of target leeway, because it probably doesn't know how high a seat is set, the angle of the backrest, and the forward/backward location in the case of a manual seat adjuster. However, better to be safe than sorry - or worse yet, dead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts