GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under my Equinox a few days ago changing the rear differential oil, and noticed the driver's side rear lower control arm is severely rusted. Vehicle is 6.5 years old with 62,000 miles on it. Passenger side rear lower control arm looks fine.

Wondering if the part was simply poorly coated from the beginning? Never had a part on any vehicle rust this severely. Guessing it should probably be replaced, and if doing one might as well do both since it will need to be realigned after ( and no telling how quickly the passenger side will go if the driver's side is already this bad.)

Automotive tire Tire Alloy wheel Wood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm in a salt zone and travel to a even heavier salt zone regularly in winter.
Any sign of rust, even light surface rust, I hit it with Fluid Film spring and fall when underneath doing service to slow down the affects of salt.
Learned my lesson on my old '99 Yukon that I had to replace EVERY fluid line under it due to rust. Thankfully I was able to slow down the underneath frame rust on the spare tire mounting.

Reactions: LMG

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If that was mine I would replace it.
That is past surface rust.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
wow.
yeah replace.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Danger Will Robinson.

Yes, it looks to have cracked through where the spring sits in the spring pocket.
I agree a dose of Fluid Film would help your car. I sprayed down my wife’s 2013 about 4 years ago with yearly touch ups and It still looks great under there. Plus I live in Michigan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts