GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am driving along the highway only to find out I have no more windshield washer fluid. It appears that I didn't have any left in my car.
I am thinking I should get a signal of sorts to say it is low, so I checked to see how and where I would see it. Should show up in the info
display area. However, I get nothing?

I am just curious to find out if this is just a bad sensor, and whether anyone else has encountered this?

Paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
I need to double check the manual but I thought the Terrain didn't have a notification for washer fluid.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wkeatonjr said:
I need to double check the manual but I thought the Terrain didn't have a notification for washer fluid.
nope....it is there or at least, that is how I read it. And for a vehicle not to have notification of low washer fluid on a $30+K car is inexcusable in my opinion.

Paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just went page-by-page in section 5 of the owner's manual and find no mention of a warning for low washer fluid.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
The Early Owners Manuals mentioned a low washer fluid warning light, but apparently GM decided that either we didn't need it, or they needed more money profit ! :banghead:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ran out of washer fluid this morning. Luckily I had a new bottle in the back seat. I've never owned a vehicle that had a low washer fluid warning light and don't find it to be a big deal. Although, it would certainly be convenient to have.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
wow- im surprissed the Nox/Terrain doest have the warning. Its not a deal breaker but surprissed considering it has alot of other bells and whistles.

my 2007 Impala has it.
my 2010 Traverse has it.
even my 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo has is. (a light bulb- and a fiber optic cable that lead to the wiper switch- low fluid- the indicator lit up a diff color when the wipers were on.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On page 4-36 of the Owners Manual:

Washer Fluid Messages
Washer Fluid Low Add Fluid

This message will be displayed when the washer fluid level is low. For information on filling the washer
fluid, see Washer Fluid on page 9-22.

So, this tells me that this car should have it. All my previous cars have had this warning light. Mind you, in the
'90 accord, I could actually see the washer tank, so I typically filled it up when I saw that it was low.

I can't do that with the Terrain as the tank is pretty much hidden.

Paul

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
brunp said:
On page 4-36 of the Owners Manual:

So, this tells me that this car should have it.
I think they have a caveat in the Owners Manual giving them the opportunity to change offerings during the model year - some type of legal-ize allowing them to not include it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RIT333 said:
I think they have a caveat in the Owners Manual giving them the opportunity to change offerings during the model year - some type of legal-ize allowing them to not include it.
I just did research of all threads related to this, so I will not continue on with this discussion. Instead, I will have a :beer: and see if my
dealer will be able to do something. Chances are slim based on everyone's findings, but hey, worth a shot at another dealer, right?

I also find it ridiculous that this car wouldn't have such a message because of the price point and the fact that it is 2012.

Anyway....fun discussion.

Paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree Paul. My 2001 VW GTi has that message along with a loud beeeep to let you know. It was a bit annoying but I always knew when I was low,

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Bigdog9586 said:
This has been discussed before. No warning.
yep...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car is in for an oil change. Sitting in the dealership. Will see what comes from the appointment. I listed this as an issue to see if anything comes from this. :)

Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I shouldn't be surprised. They come back to me that the 2010 do not have this sensor. However, the 2011 does as enough people
complained about it.

I also heard that the iPhone OnStar support is coming to the 2010 model year soon. They are starting to rollback support apparently
from what the dealer told me.

paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
brunp said:
I shouldn't be surprised. They come back to me that the 2010 do not have this sensor. However, the 2011 does as enough people
complained about it.

I also heard that the iPhone OnStar support is coming to the 2010 model year soon. They are starting to rollback support apparently
from what the dealer told me.

paul
2010 Does not have sensor, 2011 does and 2012 does not.... Someone needs to make up their minds! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dont think my 2011 did...

·
Registered
249 Posts
brunp said:
complained about it.

from what the dealer told me.[/color]

paul
I wouldn't hold my breath on the app working on the older model. Might have to do with the fact that OnStar uses a new generation hardware from 2011 and up on in their vehicles.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I believe that you need the Onstar Gen 9 module for the Onstar app. You can go to Onstar.com
and there is a manual section. There is a writeup on the Gen 9 module.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts