GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else hear an occasional rattle at low speed? It has been happening intermittently for me. Always at low speed (i.e. 10-40km/h so 5ish-20ish mpg), always when applying gas. Does not happen when I am just rolling at low speed without applying gas. I have the 4 cyl automatic LTZ AWD. Sounds like the rattle is coming from under engine area up near front of vehicle or middle frontish. I have not yet had the wife circle around me to get a better feel for where the noise is coming from. No noise problems at high speed.

Strangely enough, it really reminds me of the my C5 Corvette (2000) with manual transmission. At low speeds, the drivetrain makes a rattling noise...but this is documented as 'supposed to be' so I have never been concerned about it nor has it been any problem other than the noise.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If it's a "tinny" or hollow sounding rattle then it could be something with the exhaust headers or maybe the catalytic converter rattling on it's mounts. In any case, sounds like something for the dealership service department to check out..

·
Registered
51 Posts
How many Kms do you have on your LTZ.I read somewhere that some were having issues with the engine pinging and useing higher octane gas helped

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We only have about 4000km on our Equinox. Since the noise I am hearing seems like it is not common (I read all the threads on the board and no one else mentioned), I guess it is likely something for the dealer to look at!

·
Registered
10 Posts
DeanW said:
Does anyone else hear an occasional rattle at low speed? It has been happening intermittently for me. Always at low speed (i.e. 10-40km/h so 5ish-20ish mpg), always when applying gas. Does not happen when I am just rolling at low speed without applying gas. I have the 4 cyl automatic LTZ AWD. Sounds like the rattle is coming from under engine area up near front of vehicle or middle frontish.
I had a rattle that was driving me crazy for a couple of weeks, although it sounded to be coming from the cabin, not the engine. Finally figured it out! The passenger sunscreen visor was not all the way seated from when my wife had adjusted it to the side. Seated the thing and viola, rattle went away. Felt pretty stupid after that one ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
DeanW, I came onto this forum today to find out if anyone else was experiencing a rattle when applying the gas. I started noticing the rattle 1 week after taking the car home. I've had the car for 4 months now (almost 10,000 miles!) and the car is still rattling when I accelerate. We took it back to the dealership and they also heard the rattle but couldn't figure out what the problem was. In fact, they told us another owner had just taken in their car for the same reason. They sent us home with the promise that they would research this problem and get back to us and we never heard from them again.

My previous car developed this same rattle and we were told (different repair shop) that it was because pieces of the catalytic converter had broken off and were rattling inside. We had the catalytic converter replaced and the rattle was gone. My husband asked the Chevy service manager if it could be the catalytic converter and he said no.

It's frustrating to drive a brand new car and have it sound like an old clunker. I'm considering taking it to another service shop to get another opinion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too have the 4 Cyl. I noticed something the other day then I couldn't replicate it. I play my tunes pretty loud so not sure if it's happened before. I'll keep an ear out for it.
My first thoughts were the same about the Catalytic Converter. It semed to me it happened when I let off the gas. Like back pressure??? Not an engine ping though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I likewise have the I4 and get a bit of a rattle at lower rpms when in overdrive I just think its due to the excessive pull with overdrive and lack of power at 1500rpms, which isn't much for a 4cyl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: Dealer is ordering a balance shaft chain and tensioner to fix the rattle. I'll post another update after installation...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I posted in another thread about this "rattle" noise in my 2010 Terrain 4 cyl. I suspect is it pinging, and so put in a tank of Premium gas. That solved the problem of the noise. On Saturday, I refilled with regular gas...guess what, the Pinging is back on gentle acceleration .....

Obviously the computer needs a reprogram as the timing is a degree or two too much advanced.

In days gone by, before computers and ECM's a slacking off of the Distributor clamp and a slight rotation of the distributor to retard the ignition timing would have solved this rattle problem...today, it is so much more complicated!!!

So, back to Premium gas next time I fill up , but will again report this to my Dealer, and he will pass it on to GM I hope..

·
Registered
635 Posts
I notice the sound too on my 4 cyl. I run on a blend of lower and midrange octane. My gas station sells blend at same price as regular, so that's what I run on. Sounds like pinging to me. I only hear it if I have window down.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Mrmidnite2 said:
I posted in another thread about this "rattle" noise in my 2010 Terrain 4 cyl. I suspect is it pinging, and so put in a tank of Premium gas. That solved the problem of the noise. On Saturday, I refilled with regular gas...guess what, the Pinging is back on gentle acceleration .....

Obviously the computer needs a reprogram as the timing is a degree or two too much advanced.

In days gone by, before computers and ECM's a slacking off of the Distributor clamp and a slight rotation of the distributor to retard the ignition timing would have solved this rattle problem...today, it is so much more complicated!!!

So, back to Premium gas next time I fill up , but will again report this to my Dealer, and he will pass it on to GM I hope..
Mrmidnite2,
How many miles are on your vehicle? Have you been in to the dealer to have this diagnosed? What’s the name of the dealer? Please keep me updated as to your progress with this. You can contact me directly at [email protected]. Please address the e-mail to Christina. Have a great weekend!
Christina
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
To whom it may concern,
I see your concerns here on the forum. I would like to look into this further. Please e-mail me with information on your vehicle such as, VIN, mileage, your dealer, and your contact information. You can contact me directly at [email protected]. Please address the e-mail to Christina. Have a great weekend!
Christina

·
Registered
143 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
To whom it may concern,
I see your concerns here on the forum. I would like to look into this further. Please e-mail me with information on your vehicle such as, VIN, mileage, your dealer, and your contact information. You can contact me directly at [email protected]. Please address the e-mail to Christina. Have a great weekend!
Christina
I have emailed you directly Christina....in regard to this problem with Pre-ignition noise...Thank You for your concern..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Count me in as someone with this rattle. Just went over 15k miles and also just had the defrost recall done. I know the recalled part would have nothing to do with it, but it is annoying.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
brisket_lover,

I would recommend contacting your local dealership regarding this concern. They should have a plan for addressing the issue. I would also greatly appreciate it if you could keep me up to date with your appointment. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What was the recall for the defrost about?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would be happy to look into recall information for you. If you would like my assistance, I will need your full name, address and VIN# sent to me in a private message. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: Dealer is ordering a balance shaft chain and tensioner to fix the rattle. I'll post another update after installation...
It's been a few weeks since the dealer attempted to fix my car. They told us that other vehicles are having the same issue and this was the factory directed fix (don't know if I'm saying that right) and that it would be a 50/50 chance it would work. Unfortunately it did not fix my car and I still have a rattle when I accelerate.

Like before, the rattle only starts after I've been driving for awhile and only when I accelerate. We are bringing the car back in tomorrow. Our last car had this same problem. The mechanic at the garage we brought it to told us it was caused from pieces that broke off the catalytic converter and were rattling around. We had it replaced and it fixed the problem. We've asked our Chevy dealer if that could be the problem and they said no. But my husband is bringing it tomorrow and insisting that it gets checked.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts