GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its LoveBug time here in Central...Not much you can do..My paint has the Teflon Coating but the front plastic and Grill and windshield get alot of them stuck on..use my pressure washer and sum Raindance Windshield washer and it does a good job..

Hope maybe them come out with a fake leather bra maybe just for these LoveBug months..Other than that just alittle pain in the "A"

·
Registered
81 Posts
Keep them up there (lol). We normally do not get them until August or so here in the South.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Central? Central what/where?

We are heading to SW Florida from SC in our Terrain next week. Can we expect to run into them on the way?

·
Registered
315 Posts
tmozer said:
Central? Central what/where?

We are heading to SW Florida from SC in our Terrain next week. Can we expect to run into them on the way?
Yep

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in the Orlando area(Central Florida) and yes you probably will unless its raining..Every chance I get I try to clean them off the grill etc..Windshield washer bug type and brush..They def Blow... ;D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well, the clear plastic bra kit I bought is still sitting in the garage in SC awaiting a heat gun and the balls to try to install same. The leather (vinyl) bra I ordered from AutoAnything (the only place I could find selling them for the Terrain) took too long to be stocked, so I cancelled the order.

While I have plenty of wax on the paint and (fake) chrome on the front the the vehicle, I still imagine I will arrive in SW Florida with a bug coated Terrain after 70 mph on the interstates. Of course the black plastic grill has no protections......

Wonder if spraying the front with something like CRC or PAM would make the bugs easier to remove once I arrive in Naples? You would thing......??

·
Registered
315 Posts
tmozer said:
Well, the clear plastic bra kit I bought is still sitting in the garage in SC awaiting a heat gun and the balls to try to install same. The leather (vinyl) bra I ordered from AutoAnything (the only place I could find selling them for the Terrain) took too long to be stocked, so I cancelled the order.

While I have plenty of wax on the paint and (fake) chrome on the front the the vehicle, I still imagine I will arrive in SW Florida with a bug coated Terrain after 70 mph on the interstates. Of course the black plastic grill has no protections......

Wonder if spraying the front with something like CRC or PAM would make the bugs easier to remove once I arrive in Naples? You would thing......??
I would not do the "spraying" on the car. They come off with some cleaning, but just expect them on your car. I drive an impala around 1k miles a week through FL, SE GA and SC for work.....I get plenty of bugs in general on the hood, and with just turning on the pressure washer it is easily removed with minor effort involved using 3M adhesive remover on the bugs, let it set in a few secs, then pressure wash off. I normally do not wax the company car, its only wax is through car washes and the occiaional time I feel like adding a finish enhancer to it.

On your clear bra....I would wonder how the fit is depending on who cut the bra's. They are pretty painful to install, I have one cut by clear defender, with 3m venture film, it was not mapped out correctly, and needed minor modifications, and I wasnt happy with out high it didnt go up on the hood, so installed something esle for that well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Rain-X Bug & Tar Protective Shield

New product (I believe) that might be what I am looking for before my drive to Florida. Hopefully I can find it at one of the local retailers.......

·
Registered
265 Posts
Rain-X Bug & Tar Protective Shield

After more research it seems that this is NOT a new product and may infact be discontinued. Anyone have any current information on the product and if and where it might be available?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use Rainx Bug winshield washer in a spray bottle..spray on leave for awhile..either use a rag or pressure washer..seems to work ok

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bug Battle

Gold Mist Metalic Terrain 1/Bugs 0

Last night I made the 11 hour drive with my clean, freshly waxed and Rain-X'ed (but otherwise unprotected) Terrain from Myrtle Beach SC to Naples FL through the bug infested Interstates doing 5 miles over the speed limit, which meant 75 mph most of the time. When I arrived in Florida this morning every front surface of the Terrain was covered in splattered bug parts and juice. It looked liked a couple college kids puked all over the front of the vehicle!

As soon as I had the Terrain unloaded I went to work. Sprayed it all with a high pressure hose and sprayer. Next sprayed all the bug gut covered surfaces with Rain-X Bug Pre-wash gel. Let that sit while I prepared the car wash soap bucket and then gave the Terrain a quick wash with special attention to the buggy areas.

The bug splatter was quickly history. Did not even have to try the dryer sheet trick. I rewaxed the front this afternoon and can confirm that there was no bug residue remaining.

I know the Rain-X pre-wash helped a lot. But I think the main thing was going after the mess before the sun and heat baked it on. Since I collected all the bug crap driving in the dark and went after it before it dried completely, my removal was as sucessessful as I could have hoped.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes..thats what learned you have to do..get at it as soon as you can..My wifes car had some on front plastic bumper for a few days and was def harder to get off..Power sprayer helped alot..I guess I can live without a simulated leather bra..Have the time so get at it early before going to gymn...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dryer Sheets

After my drive for SW Florida back to SC Tuesday night, there was significant bug splatter. I figured this time I would try the dryer sheet suggestion. Found two used ones. Sprayed off the affected areas and then rubbed with the dryer sheets (wet). Worked like a charm. The sheets used (not that it probably matters) where the Costco brand.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
i spent an hour an a half yesterday trying to get my bug filled equinox clean. Eventually got it done with the dryer sheet trick. I might look and see what else i can find at the store to help.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Fluid Film works GREAT too at preventing them from sticking. Get the vehicle clean, spray it on a microfiber towel and rub it on.

Pretty cool about the dryer sheet trick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts