GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought I was done with the dealer. After driving for about 20 minutes I get a loud squealing sound from the engine area. Sounds like belt squeal, loudest at 1500-2000 rpm's. Going to dealer tomorrow, anybody else encounter this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, went in for service. Of course once they got it into the shop, the noise did not occur. After driving i around the noise started. It seems to be coming from underneath the vehicle, it is very noticable while driving or standing next to the drivers door. If you are standing in front of the engine, it gets drowned out by injector/engine noise. It is a loud chirp/squeal, they are going to call techline Monday....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a nightmare back and forth situation with the dealer and GM customer service, the service manager heard the noise and it has been in the shop since yesterday. They replaced a power steering pressure line and it is still making the noise. They are going to replace another tomorrow, if that does not fix it, techline has suggested maybe a new power steering rack. The car has 3,000 miles now, noise seems to have been hapeening since I bought it. This is not a good start GM.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, noise is finally gone, replaced both power steering lines and did some tweaks to solve the problem. I guess it was not a normal noise after all....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Got to remember this is a new vehicle for the techs and they have to learn what it does and doesnt do as well. Just takes time. The more that are on the road, the easier it will be. Glad that they got it figured out.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I think there was a recall to check the power steering sleeve, or something like that.
Look in the recalls forum, I'm sure I posted about it a few months ago, I think early February.
They checked ours but it was OK, from what I recollect.
They upgraded the NAV and Defroster as well.

I'd search for you and post the link, but on my way out the door right now.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If this is a recall they did'nt do it to the new models since i received mine last week and i have a sound like that...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bballr4567 said:
Got to remember this is a new vehicle for the techs and they have to learn what it does and doesnt do as well. Just takes time. The more that are on the road, the easier it will be. Glad that they got it figured out.
I understand, I used to work as a service advisor, but they originally blew me off like they did not want to deal with it. They made up for it in the end though.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ohhhh, that blows then. I would be pissed. When we had our Malibu in for service on the emergency brake pedal one dealership blew us off and the other took care of it. We bought our Terrain from the one that took care of us and they even fixed a problem we didnt even know we had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thought you guys would like to know --

I had the same problem, a loud squealing noise at any RPM above idle, once warmed up. It sounded a lot like a belt squeal, but different somehow. So I took my Terrain back to the dealer on Monday and they immediately noticed the noise as well. Checked for TSB's, and there were none, so they took it back into the shop for a closer look. I did show them this forum post (brought a hard copy with me) and mentioned that at least one other person had trouble with the power steering lines. After about 45 mins of waiting, the shop manager came out to explain what they found.

They were not able to figure it out on their own, so they did the right thing and called GM for support. They suspected the restrictor on the power steering return line, and GM wanted to have a team of engineers from out on Tuesday (I am in metro Detroit) to see it for themselves and do the fix. So they set me up in a rental car, and kept the Terrain overnight.

Got the call back on Tuesday afternoon, everything was fixed. The ended up replacing the power steering return line, but the engineers took the old hose w/ restrictor to the proving grounds for more testing. The shop manager got the impression from the engineering guys that a design change was coming -- they said there were only 3 other documented cases of this. The dealer did a great job, and I am satisfied with their response.

So if you have this noise, be sure to take it back to the dealer and don't let them tell you it's a "normal" noise, because it definitely is not. If they call me back with any more info I will be sure to post here.

-- alphaferyl

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for this thread. I purchased my terrain this past saturday and I have been hearing the same exact thing since the day after I bought it. When it idles, no sound, but start driving at just low speeds and you can hear the sound. It really does sound like a belt squeal but I wasn't 100% sure what it was. After reading this post I think its the exact same thing. When they give me the call to pick up my registration, which should be very soon, i am going to make sure they also schedule the car to get looked at for this issue. Im printing out this post and bringing it with me as well. Ill post what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Success!! I brought the car in on Monday for this issue and told them about the sound and was very precise about how to hear it. Called on Tuesday, said they didn't hear the squealing, so I restated exactly how to hear the noise. Later that afternoon they told me they were replacing the belt on the car and possibly one of the pullys thinking that was where the noise was coming from.

Received a call this morning and they told me they figured out the problem, it was the power steering pressure line! They contacted GM and were told to just replace the part and this has been a common issue. Should have the vehicle back by tomorrow, thanks guys.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have my appointment at the dealer on scheduled June 15th. I hope that they will fix the problem because this is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
830 Posts
3 days to go until they fix the sound on my Terrain.......

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
I have my appointment at the dealer on scheduled June 15th. I hope that they will fix the problem because this is driving me nuts.
You sound like the Pirate that went to the Dr. because he had a pain in his lower region. The Dr. told him the he had a steering wheel stuck between his legs. He said, I know, and it's driving me nuts !

·
Registered
830 Posts
Crossing my fingers, appointment scheduled on tuesday morning !!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Back from the dealer, did'nt solved the problem... :( They ordered a complete power steering pump and scheduled another appointment in 10 days....

They installed a restrictor on the return line and it didnt work... they putted another one in the pressure line and didnt solved the problem ...

I hope that the power steering pump will solve my problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My terrain just came off the train today and sure enough I have the squeal! Guess I have to print this subject out and bring to the dealer. Thanks for the info guys!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts