GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Equinox LT Front Wheel Drive only. Every time it rains and I drive through puddles or slush in the winter, it splashes up under the car and then I hear what sounds like a loud growling noise under the hood for a minute or so then goes quiet. To me it sounds like my exhaust disconnects from the engine and then reconnects after the water dries. Weird huh? Its so loud, its like having one of them big pipes on those rice burners under my hood of my car. You can feel the vibration from the sound. The sound increases with the rpms until it must dry off and goes quiet.

I never get a chance to stop the car and try to locate the noise under the hood, not enough time or its down pouring. If I stop while its making the noise, I can hear it as I rev the engine. Dealer won't look at it without hearing it.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
441 Posts
if you have an exhaust leak, youd know it while its dry out too....sounds like water is penetrating your wheel bearings...doubt its your exhaust....unless your submerging your pipes in a monsoon....a puddle wont really cause issues.....if it was you would be bogged down until it blows the water out, the cat would be messed up, and probabaly throw a code....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had a similar problem with a different car, driving in a down pour of rain. After further inspection, I noticed that the heat shield over the catalytic converter was bent from the water splashing on it and it was touching the converter. It created a loud drone type noise with vibration. Mine was bent alittle more because the sound did not go away until I pulled the heat shield away.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would recommend taking the vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will have to take it and have it checked. It did it again and only when it gets wet. Its definately the exhaust under the hood. Its hard to mistaken that sound for anything else. Can't be wheel bearings because I still hear it after stopping until it must dry out then goes quiet. Its like having no muffler but sound coming from under the hood.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
blackequi said:
Thanks for all the replies. I will have to take it and have it checked. It did it again and only when it gets wet. Its definately the exhaust under the hood. Its hard to mistaken that sound for anything else. Can't be wheel bearings because I still hear it after stopping until it must dry out then goes quiet. Its like having no muffler but sound coming from under the hood.

Thanks anyway.
Possibly a crack in the exhaust manifold that the water makes it contract, and then the leak appears, or else a bad exhaust manifold gasket. Either way, it should be fixed. Maybe you could isolate it by running the car, and then spraying the exhaust manifold with a garden hose. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1 Posts
WAS THE ISSUE EVER FOUND? ive spend way to much money on this thing trying to fix it, :banghead: for it to keep making this ricer loud exhaust sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2006 AWD does the exact same thing. It takes a fairly big puddle and sounds just like the muffler fell off, but only for a few seconds and then goes away.

I've just chalked it up to the Chevy gremlins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have an 06 equinox awd and it does the same thing. it sounds like an exhaust leak when going through a puddle only on the right side. never on the left side. i suspect it something going on with the emission system. the only advice i have is to let off throttle pedal and and then drive steady slow speed till the noise goes away and system washes out. i think if you accelerate to fast you may destroy the emission system and that could cost 1000.00's . been doing this for 13 years with no ill effects. these are great cars and i find with very little mechanical repairs. i also run my engine with 5 full quarts of oil. (shows a quart over) this will stop the typical valve spring retainer failure problem. 139,000 miles and still runs strong. a truly great car with mild idiosyncrasies. also with abs problems try changing front wheel ABS intermediate wires. this solve a dealer prob that was going to cost 1000.00 ....issue solved for 50.00

1 - 9 of 9 Posts