GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 GMC Terrain 2.4 awd 231,000.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys recently I got tired of cleaning out the intake on the car and to add a cheap oil water separator. Well after 1 day of driving maybe 20 miles it appears to be excessive amount of water. Any idea on cause of this? 2010 2.4 233,000 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hey guys recently I got tired of cleaning out the intake on the car and to add a cheap oil water separator. Well after 1 day of driving maybe 20 miles it appears to be excessive amount of water. Any idea on cause of this? 2010 2.4 233,000 miles
How big is that oil catcher? From the appearance I doubt that would hold much more than an ounce.

How much water/oil vapor it might collect depends on a number of things.
1. How long has the oil been in the engine?
2. Has the car been driven mostly on short trips?
3. Has the weather been cool, cold or humid?
4. 233,000 miles on the tired engine means more blowby so more water oil vapors from combustion.

Generally, when I had an oil catch can on my 3.6L as a reference. . .. it would collect 4 to 6 ounces in a month or so in our normal driving in winter.
Conversely, on a trip to Florida in the Spring. . . it would collect maybe 3 to 4 ounces in 1,500 miles of all highway driving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
See my response in P0420
Use of an air/oil separator or catch-can on what is supposed to be the PCV air intake is of no value, and to the extent you have fluid collecting here is an indication of other issues that aren't being addressed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts