GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Gmc Terrain that I drove home for lunch last Wednesday (9/8/21) and it hasn't started since. It tried to start, shuddered and then nothing since. When attempting to start the car it will turn over but not fire. Prior to this post I have:
Replaced the alternator
Replaced the battery
Replaced the fuel pump
Checked starter fuse & relay
After the replacement of alternator & battery vehicle ran for 3 weeks before it quit starting. At this point I'm tempted to just tow it to the nearest mechanic and let them figure it out. More expensive than what I want but I'm at a loss. Also both key fobs lock/unlock doors, open/close back lift gate so I'm pretty certain the battery is fine on the key fob.
I was thinking about disconnecting the negative battery cable for a day to see if maybe some weird issue may reset?
Any help appreciated

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
which fuel pump?
There are 3 on the V6, im sure thered also 3 on the 4 cyl.

1 HIGH Pressure pump for the direct injection.
2 low pressure pumps in the gas tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which fuel pump?

Oof. I am by no means a mechanic. I reached the fuel pump on the front of the intake. I have the 4 cyl I realize I left that out above. However it is getting fuel to the pump in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
which fuel pump?

Just to clarify here, the 4 cyl has two sending units in the fuel tank.
The larger sending unit (primary) has the low pressure fuel pump.
The secondary (smaller) sending unit has a fuel level sensor only.
The high pressure pump is located on the engine.

Same on the V-6, info from the 2014 GM repair manual.

Reactions: Cody06

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to clarify here, the 4 cyl has two sending units in the fuel tank.
The larger sending unit (primary) has the low pressure fuel pump.
The secondary (smaller) sending unit has a fuel level sensor only.
The high pressure pump is located on the engine.

Same on the V-6, info from the 2014 GM repair manual.
Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,935 Posts
So - this is a 2012. The original battery died in ~2016, and then the 1st replacement died 3+ weeks ago (??) so you replaced it? And then what (?) ... it ran OK until the new battery died and that made you replace the Alternator? And then it ran for 3 weeks, stopped running again, and then you changed out the HPFP?

Is this the correct chronology?

Just wondering what made you replace the Alternator, and whether you replaced it with the correct sized Alternator (or even a bad one)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So - this is a 2012. The original battery died in ~2016, and then the 1st replacement died 3weeks ago (??) so you replaced it? And then what (?) ... it ran OK until the new battery died and that made you replace the Alternator? And then it ran for 3 weeks, stopped running again, and then you changed out the HPFP?

Is this the correct chronology?

Just wondering what made you replace the Alternator, and whether you replaced it with the correct sized Alternator (or even a bad one)?
My apologies for not being clear on my post. First time on a forum.
This has all happened in the span of a month this year.
Replaced the alternator due to very clear sign of a bad alternator. Vehicle died while engine was running. This was back in mid August. At this time I replaced the alternator & and battery. Not sure how long batteries last but the one that died had 2013 checked on the sticker. Figured a new battery wouldn't hurt.
After the new alternator and battery I had no issues with the car until last Wednesday. Drove to work, came home for lunch and it hasn't started again. When I try to start it the engine will turn over and turn over and turn over but doesn't even try to start. No check engine lights, no warning lights of any kind. Changed the fuel pump because it wasn't getting fuel to the hpfp. New pump is getting fuel at least to the fuel pump but problem is unchanged. Turns over as long as I hold the key on but just doesn't want to start. Maybe no spark? Idk at this point

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,935 Posts
Hmmmm ... the plot thickens .... “died while it was running“?

And a 2012 vehicle still has a 2013 battery in it? Does this vehicle have a Build Date of 2013 and it still had the original battery (ACDelco)?

OK, maybe you have two problems - one following the other?

I’d doubt its a spark problem because it would probably still start but run crappy.

And you claim you have gas (now).

Maybe you don’t have compression? Maybe your Timing Chain has slipped and some valves are damaged?

Can you check compression on each cylinder?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd have to tow it to an actual mechanic for that. Which may be my only option at this point. I've checked all the simple things I could think of.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,935 Posts
@Cody06 : yeah, you’d have to remove the plastic Intake Manifold Cover (remove oil cap then just pull cover off), unplug the 4 coils, remove a single bolt on each coil, pull the coils out, blow debris out of spark plug holes, then use 5/8” spark plug socket to remove the plugs. Then you could screw the Compression gauge into each spark plug hole (in turn) and turn the engine over each time (for about 3 seconds) to see how much pressure each cylinder is building up. It would be nice to see what those plugs look like, too...

Maybe you could get a Mobile Mechanic to stop by and do the Compression Test for you? Then you could see it with your own eyes!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Any codes stored in the 4 code families of P , U , C and B ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check oil ?
Not sure where u are but part stores sometimes rent the equipment out cheap. U could google exactly how to do it. Save a buck.
Maybe google checking for a paracidicale draw on your battery. It's pretty easy too

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Where are you located ? Maybe a nice member would help you out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts