GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
10,726 Posts
If you have any plans to re-sell it, plan to take a bath at the end. Otherwise, it depends on how good the re-builder is. Personally, I would stay away from them.

· Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 182k miles
4,736 Posts
Anyone here has experienced owning a salvage title vehicle? I got mixed response from every person I asked. haha
Yeah, but it was my vehicle (bought brand new for $5800 in 1989), it had tons of miles on it, had depreciated to almost nothing ... so I got a check for $1500, fixed the damage myself (which was minor), and kept driving it (with the Salvage Title) another 70,000 miles! LOL!

So ... it appears you didn’t need a car last August ... because here we are 5 months later, that (Salvage Title) 2018 Diesel Equinox is still available (??) ... and you’re still considering it?

Did you ever get it checked out by a mechanic?

If it checks out reasonably well, try to steal it for $10,000. It looks like he can’t sell it, so ... what the heck ... “play hardball” ... but only if it checks out with a mechanic (and don’t tell the mechanic it has a Salvage Title! Don’t tell him anything! Let him tell you!)

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Don't assume salvage is just from crash damage. Plenty of salvage titled stuff out there due to the vast amount of ''floaters'' out there. With todays complicated electronics it's a stay away from unlike cars from the '70's.

· Registered
367 Posts
The market is slowly moving back towards something reasonable…unless you are in a jam I would wait a little while longer. You buy something with a salvage title don’t plan on getting anything more than scrap value for it and also I hope you are planning to drive it for 10 yrs minimum to recoup your investment. JMHO

· Registered
10,726 Posts
With the current premium for diesel over regular gas, and the problems with the GM diesel versus the gas engine, I would stay away from buying a diesel. But that may just be my bias against them.

Reactions: JayTee2014

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
With the current premium for diesel over regular gas, and the problems with the GM diesel versus the gas engine, I would stay away from buying a diesel. But that may just be my bias against them.
I see no bias only truth. I would say any emissions diesel is problematic. Ask a big truck driver about emissions diesels and the issues they have with them.
That's why pick up guys keep those old 12v Cummins pre-emissions ones running, rebuilding them and transplanting them. And old Mercedes diesels that are pre-emissions are legendary for lasting also. VW's diesels ran well for a long time until the diesel gate scandal that found they were not emissions compliant. I wonder how good they are now in the long haul being compliant.

· Registered
2018 AWD LT2 2.0T
231 Posts
I wouldn't buy any vehicle with a salvage title, unless cheap, cheap.
$10 k is way to much for and 18.
My 18 LT 2 2.0t 124k only books around that if you trade one in to a dealer.
That's my 10 cents worth.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts