GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone - Hope this is in the right place
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting the wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2018 Chevy Equinox LT vehicle and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything I should be looking out for while doing my inspection.

Things I will be looking out for are
coolant or oil leads
Weird noises coming from the engine
check the transmission for slips and jolt
verify all the electronics are working properly

The asking price is $17,500 and it has 46000 miles with a Salvage Title.

If you guys have any suggestions on what to check.
Looking forward to joining this family, thanks.

UPDATE
Thanks for all of you guys advices, it's really helpful and allow me to think thoroughly, I run a car report from this site Detailed Vehicle History Report For any Vehicle - 100% Accurate, which is really cheap and they got mobile application! (I don't want to spend $40 for the carfax), in the picture the damage is in the right wheel, Is this damage is serious guys? Seems not so serious to me, what do you guys think? Is it worth paying $17k? It was sold for $7200. Please have a look at the report;https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/3GNAXUEU3JL311615
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Cloud Sky

Car Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

Car Vehicle Speedometer White Mirror

· Registered
921 Posts
Salvage title? I wouldn't pay a penny over $13.5K for it, especially if it doesn't already have a revived title to make it legal to register.

$17.6K is the blue book private party price for a clean title car.

That being said, if you must have it you would want to pay for a pre purchase inspection at a reputable mechanic. Way too many factors to consider with a salvage title car.

· Registered
5,755 Posts
Hello everyone - Hope this is in the right place
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting the wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2018 Chevy Equinox LT vehicle and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything I should be looking out for while doing my inspection.

Things I will be looking out for are
coolant or oil leads
Weird noises coming from the engine
check the transmission for slips and jolt
verify all the electronics are working properly

The asking price is $17,500 and it has 46000 miles with a Salvage Title.

If you guys have any suggestions on what to check.
Looking forward to joining this family, thanks.
These days, there are more than usual questionable condition vehicles being put up for sale with the new and used car shortages.
I agree with @arcee
The short answer from what I see is .. . no.
I wouldn't buy a salvage car for that price and maybe not at all.
Also, does it have the 2.4L or much more reliable. 3.6L V6 engine?
I empathize if you really need a vehicle, but I would hate to see you . . . like so many others .. . buy something like this and have heartache, expense and one repair after another to even keep it running and serviceable.

Reactions: Smit999

· Registered
5,755 Posts
JayTee - It is an '18, so it does not have either of those engines. Either 1.5L, 1.6L Diesel or 2.0L.
Right you are. Forgetting the change over year.
Also, too many things muddling my mind these days.
Mostly care about getting from point A->B and if I can keep up with work around the house, yard and cabin. LOL

Still . . . salvage thing.

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Too much money for a salvage title vehicle. Was it crashed or a floater? That's the main source of salvage titles.
Salvage title is a big, bold runaway sign for the average person.
Nothing but a pig with a tuxedo on...

· Registered
2018 Terrain Denali 2.0T FWD
286 Posts
It may just be an optical illusion, but to me the left front fender and hood look to be a slightly darker color than the driver's door and "A" pillar in the side view photo. That could imply a collision in the front end. There are a LOT of things that can go wrong with a front end collision, not the least of which is the frame (whatever it's currently called) could be bent, fractured or mis-aligned.

Everything could be in order and it'll turn out the be a fantastic vehicle, or there could be a lot of gremlins that'll make their appearance when you least expect it and turn it into a money pit. A salvage vehicle is a total crap shoot. As others have said, if you're seriously considering the purchase, take it to a very well trusted and knowledgeable mechanic of your choice.

• Wow

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
A salvage title is generated by an Ins. Co. totaling the vehicle due to damage that was more than it was worth to repair.
It's then sold to an auction to be sold to whoever wants it to do whatever.
That itself should be enough warning.

Reactions: NXR71

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Salvage title? I wouldn't pay a penny over $13.5K for it, especially if it doesn't already have a revived title to make it legal to register.

$17.6K is the blue book private party price for a clean title car.

That being said, if you must have it you would want to pay for a pre purchase inspection at a reputable mechanic. Way too many factors to consider with a salvage title car.
Thanks for your suggestion, If I could get clean title one and pay more 1-$2000, I would rather get a clean title one.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These days, there are more than usual questionable condition vehicles being put up for sale with the new and used car shortages.
I agree with @arcee
The short answer from what I see is .. . no.
I wouldn't buy a salvage car for that price and maybe not at all.
Also, does it have the 2.4L or much more reliable. 3.6L V6 engine?
I empathize if you really need a vehicle, but I would hate to see you . . . like so many others .. . buy something like this and have heartache, expense and one repair after another to even keep it running and serviceable.
Thanks for your advice, Yes I'm a bit worried of getting a salvage title, I don't wanna have headache later on! I got the car report I will share it with you guys shortly.

· Registered
2018 AWD LT2 2.0T
231 Posts
DONT BUY A VEHICLE WITH A SALVAGE TITLE PERIOD. With all the flood vehicles around. Water and electronics never mixed. That's just one reason. If you do buy it, plan on pennies on the dollar when you trade or sell it.

· Registered
315 Posts
Like everyone else is recommending, don't get a vehicle with a salvage title. Run away from it and don't look back!

• Helpful

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of you guys advices, it's really helpful and allow me to think thoroughly, I run a car report from this site Detailed Vehicle History Report For any Vehicle - 100% Accurate, which is really cheap and they got mobile application! (I don't want to spend $40 for the carfax), in the picture the damage is in the right wheel, Is this damage is serious guys? Seems not so serious to me, what do you guys think? Is it worth paying $17k? It was sold for $7200. Please have a look at the report;https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/3GNAXUEU3JL311615
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

· Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
516 Posts
RUN, don't walk away from this vehicle! Unless every last suspension component has been replaced on the front clip (which I doubt) and the uni-body hasn't been tweaked (which is likely) you're bound to be constantly chasing drive ability problems. Plus according to the report this vehicle is equipped with the 1.6 diesel engine which has it's own set of unique challenges.

· Registered
921 Posts
According to the report there was an estimated $20,000 damage due to collision with an animal. If it sold for $7200, and now the price is $17,000 then it sounds like the bare minimum was done to repair it.

This would be a total pass for me at this point. Plus being a diesel? I have nothing against diesels but would definitely not want any part of this one.

There are plenty of 2018 Equinoxes in CA with clean titles in the $19K range. Spending the extra $1500 over what you would pay for this is definitely worth it. Don't buy this salvage title vehicle.

· Registered
5,755 Posts
Much damage may have been done to the undercarriage and drive line, cooling system, A/C, and more.
Difficult to say just by looks, but I would guess the "animal" was hit, did some front end body work damage and also slid under the front.
Sometimes that can do more damage than it appears, and apparently the insurance estimate reflected that. So it was totaled.

· Registered
315 Posts
The positive - that is one detailed report on the vehicle. I've never seen one like that before.

The negative - my original advice stands, run away and don't look back. I would say that whole front end is tweaked and would not trust it being 'as designed' after being straightened out. Also any impact that splits the rim like that could do untold damage to the suspension, drive axle, transmission...etc). Definitely not worth the risk.

· Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 182k miles
4,736 Posts
Can you tell what the date of the actual wreck was ... because the “Detailed History Verification” seems to show the classic odometer tampering scheme where the vehicle is taken out of state briefly (to “Doctor” its Title), then returns to its home state. In this case it’s CA-to-ID-to-CA. And I don’t know if they’re tampering with electronic odometers like they used to tamper with the old mechanical ones (using just a coat hanger), but if they are ... it’s possible the mileage isn’t 51,000 but actually 102,000 miles (or more)!

I have to say ... and this is based on just these pictures - which only tell part of the story ... the damage doesn’t look like a total loss.

————
If I was given this vehicle, would I repair and drive it? Sure.

Would I have bought it for $7,000+ at auction to repair and drive it? Maybe. I would’ve been looking at the actual damage at that point ... but if a repaired 2018 Equinox LT with a Salvage Title is worth, say ... $12,000 ... $5,000 to get it there might be kind of tight (@dr.fiero ?)

Would I buy it for $17k with the repairs already completed? Not a chance!

• Helpful

· Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
365 Posts
Primary DamageUndercarriage
Secondary DamageSide

run, run, run

1 - 20 of 29 Posts