GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a suggestion for a good, inexpensive mount? Something that will hold a touchscreen smartphone fairly high on the dash, maybe off a vent or in the top tray? The wife needs something to hold her phone so she can use the GPS nav on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's not inexpensive, but a ProClips mount (proclipsusa.com) is the best option I've seen. Very clean and SECURE. Don't want that expensive smartphone falling to the floor after hitting a bump!

·
Registered
61 Posts
mnussbaum said:
Anybody have a suggestion for a good, inexpensive mount? Something that will hold a touchscreen smartphone fairly high on the dash, maybe off a vent or in the top tray? The wife needs something to hold her phone so she can use the GPS nav on it.
Bracketron

And don't be cheap on the details. The inexpensive mounts will have your $200-500 cell phone on the floor and/or damage your $20K-$35K vehicle. :) But the internet should be able to get you the best price on whatever you pick out. Usually 50% less than retail stores.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Proclips offers only two mounting options on the Equinox. One is left of the dash, the other is on the lower right center tunnel, next to the passenger's left knee. Neither option looks very good for a cell phone acting as a GPS.

Bracketron has a lot of options...ideally I'd get something that fits in the top center storage bin and holds it horizontally.

·
Registered
91 Posts
mnussbaum said:
The Proclips offers only two mounting options on the Equinox. One is left of the dash, the other is on the lower right center tunnel, next to the passenger's left knee. Neither option looks very good for a cell phone acting as a GPS.

Bracketron has a lot of options...ideally I'd get something that fits in the top center storage bin and holds it horizontally.
Actually, the mounting position to the left of the dash is in a perfect position to use as a GPS (at least for me). That's where I have mine and IMHO it's much better than in the center area - I don't have to shift my view much.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
How about velcroing it to the center of the steering wheel? It would make it easier to see being so close to the driver. It's got to be tough trying to see such a small screen while driving. I wouldn't attempt it. That's why I opted for the factory indash unit even though it's expensive. My tired old eyes can't see such small screens anymore. Do cell phone GPS units have voice commands?
There is another large supplier of GPS/Cell phone mounts called RAM Mounts. I know they make motorcycle mounts, bit not sure if they make car mounts too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
GARYD said:
How about velcroing it to the center of the steering wheel? It would make it easier to see being so close to the driver. It's got to be tough trying to see such a small screen while driving. I wouldn't attempt it. That's why I opted for the factory indash unit even though it's expensive. My tired old eyes can't see such small screens anymore. Do cell phone GPS units have voice commands?
There is another large supplier of GPS/Cell phone mounts called RAM Mounts. I know they make motorcycle mounts, bit not sure if they make car mounts too.
you don't want to mount anything on your steering wheel, or on the dash in front of the passenger. Reason: this is were the airbags come from. Imagine the airbag going off on your steering wheel with an Iphone on it. Face, meet phone, phone meet broken nose!

·
Registered
141 Posts
so i just picked up my bracketron on the way home (ordered it from sears for 24.99 picked up)...and i love it. the sticky button thing is weird and seems like it would leave a residue on your phone but it comes off completely clean. only way to mount it inside your upper storage compartment is to take out the mat and use the suction cup on the plastic underneath. i actually just stuck it right on the door of the compartment and it sticks there great. i even shook the mount with the phone on the "button" and it didn't move or fall off. i'm impressed. no more 5 dollar cradles on ebay for me!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeremiah said:
so i just picked up my bracketron........ i actually just stuck it right on the door of the compartment and it sticks there great.
So wait, are you saying it's hanging from the underside of the upper compartment lid? Can you take a pic? And can you mound the phone sideways (left to right) ok?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GARYD said:
I opted for the factory indash unit even though it's expensive. My tired old eyes can't see such small screens anymore.
Too late, we already have the car without nav. Although I'd never spend $2000 on it anyway.

GARYD said:
Yes they do, checking them out.

GARYD said:
Do cell phone GPS units have voice commands?
LOL, the wife is not technically inclined. You'd think voice would make things easier but in reality it's just another confusion factor.

Superboy95 said:
Actually, the mounting position to the left of the dash is in a perfect position to use as a GPS (at least for me). That's where I have mine and IMHO it's much better than in the center area - I don't have to shift my view much.
Can you post a photo? My concern is about theft--I'd think the phone (or at least the empty mount) would be too visible to thieves, while placing it inside the top center compartment would make it easier to hide.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mount alone on top of compartment:

Mount holding Blackberry:

Mount holding iPhone:

Mounted on windshield:

In compartment:

Down in lower compartment:

Just showing how sticky it is...I actually shook it and the phone wouldn't come off.

And yes, it will hold other things as well :)

as far as mounting on the underside of the lid, you can but the angle is weird on the screen and it's pointing downward instead of upward, towards you. i think i'll be leaving mine mounted to the top of the compartment lid as it's easy to see without taking my eyes off the road. running a charger/line out to it will suck but oh well.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's amazing! Great photos, thanks for that review. The Bracketron just might be the ticket! :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
KANWAR, I understand your concern, it was just a suggestion. If I had an aftermarket unit like I did have, I mounted it on top of the dash in the car mounting cradle that came with it. But since I couldn't see that far(it only had 2-1/2' screen) I relied on the voice commands. ;D

·
Registered
114 Posts
GARYD said:
KANWAR, I understand your concern, it was just a suggestion. If I had an aftermarket unit like I did have, I mounted it on top of the dash in the car mounting cradle that came with it. But since I couldn't see that far(it only had 2-1/2' screen) I relied on the voice commands. ;D
understand. I've seen/heard of people putting things on their dash, over the airbags and having horrible results during an accident.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jeremiah said:
so i just picked up my bracketron on the way home (ordered it from sears for 24.99 picked up)...and i love it. the sticky button thing is weird and seems like it would leave a residue on your phone but it comes off completely clean. only way to mount it inside your upper storage compartment is to take out the mat and use the suction cup on the plastic underneath. i actually just stuck it right on the door of the compartment and it sticks there great. i even shook the mount with the phone on the "button" and it didn't move or fall off. i'm impressed. no more 5 dollar cradles on for me!
I see you took my advice. :) Also, glad to see you are happy with your purchase and you see the value in the higher end product vs the $5 solution. Also, Bracketron also has great customer service when I requested an extra part from them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ObNOXious said:
you see the value in the higher end product vs the $5 solution.
It's kind of comical how a $20-$25 items qualifies as "higher end" vs a $5 cheapie, although the Bracketron truly looks like a great product.

·
Registered
61 Posts
mnussbaum said:
It's kind of comical how a $20-$25 items qualifies as "higher end" vs a $5 cheapie, although the Bracketron truly looks like a great product.
Hershey Bar $1 vs. Godiva Chocolate Bar $4 (4x)
Cheap Bracket $5 vs Good bracket $20 (4x)
Equinox $25K vs MB G500 100K (4x)

I guess it's all relative. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good point! ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts