GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me why or why not. Are there specific things to look for on these when buying used, beyond the normal checks?

I am just looking to get back into a small SUV after driving a Golf for 2 years. I had a JGC at my disposal but it's the 98 with the 5.9l and about $5000 in engine/trans mods. It gets 10 MPG going downhill with the wind. I hated to get rid of it but I wanted it to go to someone who would drive it and love it like it deserves.

So anyways, why or why not? It LOOKS to be in.veey good condition, haven't seen it in person yet. Probably needs tires. I intend, unless documented, to go over and do nearly every standard maint that would be done at 100k. I don't trust people.

Thanks on advance!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Tell me why or why not. Are there specific things to look for on these when buying used, beyond the normal checks?

I am just looking to get back into a small SUV after driving a Golf for 2 years. I had a JGC at my disposal but it's the 98 with the 5.9l and about $5000 in engine/trans mods. It gets 10 MPG going downhill with the wind. I hated to get rid of it but I wanted it to go to someone who would drive it and love it like it deserves.

So anyways, why or why not? It LOOKS to be in.veey good condition, haven't seen it in person yet. Probably needs tires. I intend, unless documented, to go over and do nearly every standard maint that would be done at 100k. I don't trust people.

Thanks on advance!
What engine does it have, 2.4L or 3.6L V-6?

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would have made sense to mention...

The 4cyl. Black. AWD. SLE2.

I will say, the idea of a 4cyl SUV seems odd. Then again, idk why but I keep thinking this thing is the size of a suburban and I don't know why I can't get that out of my head LOL.

But I'd like to have something that at least gets around 25MPG.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd keep looking. The idea of a 4cyl SUV - IS - odd, and that four cylinder sure has a history, bad history. Unless it's dirt cheap and you're a decent mechanic.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Do a search on 2.4L GM engine problems.
They had oil consumption, fuel pump, timing chain etc. etc.
The worst ones were 2010 to 2012.

Go with the bullet proof 3.6L V-6.
In 2013 the V-6 and heavy duty 6T70 transmission were updated.
2013 to 2017 were the best ones.
Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was interested in the V6 but man what a dip in MPG LOL. I mean, it's good for what it is and the power difference is night and day.

That is disappointing to find out the 4cyl is such a headache.

Because it's not dirt cheap. At least not IMO. Trying to talk him down to $8100.

·
Registered
212 Posts
2.4 :eek: Run Ferris RUN!

Reactions: tom3

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was interested in the V6 but man what a dip in MPG LOL. I mean, it's good for what it is and the power difference is night and day.

That is disappointing to find out the 4cyl is such a headache.

Because it's not dirt cheap. At least not IMO. Trying to talk him down to $8100.
I got a 2014 gmc terrain V6 for 14.5 out the door with 79K on it. And yes there is a dip in mpg especially in town

·
Registered
469 Posts
We had two Terrains with the V6 AWD and six speed auto trans. Real hot rod and best brakes I've ever had in any car. Gas mileage was fine for us as this was mainly a road machine for me, wife drove it around town. And I'm pretty leadfooted on the road. This picture was on a road trip and loaded down. I always use mid grade BP gas, don't know if that does anything?

terrain mpg picture.jpg

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Model year 2010-2012 had the older 3.0L V-6.
In 2013 they changed to the High Feature 3.6L that has been used in Camaro's and Police cars for years.

At the same time, GM updated the 6T70 transmission to the Gen II.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On forums, you only read the bad. I have a 2011 with 4cyl, 99000km and no oil issues whatsoever. Have it checked by a certified shop before buying.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Because a potential buyer of a used Terrain/Equinox has no real idea of how the thing was driven or maintained. . .. the 2.4L engine is a red flag.

If something appears to be a bargain. . . . there is usually a reason for that.

Find a 2014 or newer with the 3.6L engine. The fewer miles the better . .. . and. . . . maintenance and repair records are a must. Check for rust on the bottom edges of the doors.

Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Was the 2010 to 2012 V6 not that good?
I can vouch for a 2011 with the 3.0L V6. Just returned from a trip where I drove two 900-mile legs back and forth and over 1,000 miles in two weeks locally ... and no issues! Engine now has 147,000 miles on it.

A relatively new worker here also has a 2012 with the same engine ... it’s currently got well over 200k on the clock and he’s driving it 75 miles each way, back and forth to work!

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an Equinox with the 3.0L engine as long as it passed an exhaustive check-out first. Ideally, you find one with around 100,000 miles for short money...

·
Registered
55 Posts
We had a 2014 Chevrolet Equinox with the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder that we owned since new. It had 96,000 miles on it never burned a drop of oil. We traded it in on a 2016 Equinox and I actually regret it. I think it could have easily given us another 50,000 miles, no problem. I would have liked to have a V6, but wound up buying another 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. It is actually a good engine and 90 % of the time gives you all the power you really need.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Test drove a '16 2.4 AWD. What a dog especially with a/c on. It couldn't get out of it's own way.
Bought a 3.6 LTZ with 12k miles on it in '16, at 68k miles now and only brakes and tires. Did have to bring it in for a center stack software update. Avg. 25 mpg in mixed suburban driving. All fluids changed via severe duty sched. .
Just found a '16 3.6 LT for my D in law with 40k on it. Will be doing full fluid swap shortly on it.
2.4 one, only if it was free and even then it would be highly debatable.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Test drove a '16 2.4 AWD. What a dog especially with a/c on. It couldn't get out of it's own way.
2.4 one, only if it was free and even then it would be highly debatable.
Don't hold back, now ... tell us how you really feel about the 2.4 ! :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts