GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I had to jump start my car several weeks ago and at the time everything was working perfectly. Once I got the car started my screen sais "locked" and I have tried for a month to get the directions to fix the problem. My dealership wanted to charge me $119 to diagnose/fix the problem. Does anyone know how to correct this issue?

Thank you.

GMC 2016 Terrain

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
As a long shot you could try to reboot the BCM.
Remove the negative battery cable from the battery for approx. 30 minutes then reconnect it.
The dealer may need to reload the software due to the volts/amps spike from jumping.

The radio theft deterrent system can lock the infotainment system for a variety of reasons.
When it does this it will set a DTC starting with the letter B.
Are you still under warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. No warranty. I bought my car from Carmax last October and it was used, though it only had 24, 000 mile. I will try the battery suggestion.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I think your 2016 GMC still came with the 3year/36K miles bumper to bumper warranty.
Go to My gm.com and enter your VIN number.
It will tell you if any warranty is remaining, worth a shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
rednox301....THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this tip to unlock the radio! I own a 2017 Terrain XLT, had to have the battery jumped because a small cooler was left plugged in overnight to the rear power outlet....(my bad). The jump procedure locked up the radio, which also blocked my view of temperature/time and other info coming up on the screen. A dealership spend almost 3 hours performing various maneuvers to unlock the radio, alas without success. (Thankfully I was not charged for their efforts). Was told the radio would have to be replaced -- at the tune of nearly $1400!
It was with that news that I launched an internet crawl to see whether there was a less expensive alternative. (a widow on fixed income being the main motivator). A friend and I explored all of the fuses, followed advice offered at various forums, and asked questions of anyone/everyone we thought may have a solution to offer. After hours of combing different websites, I found your post recommending disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 minutes. IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!! There was no need to take any other action.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
G.W. - It would be neat to tell the dealer how you saved $1400+. Crazy how little many of the so-called mechanics know about these vehicles, and how much forum members do know, and share it for free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Locked Infotainment screen - 2016 GMC Terrain

RIT333 I plan to do exactly that! Given the amount of time and attention to the locked radio problem, I truly feel the technician gave his all to solve the problem... especially since there was no charge. I was obviously vulnerable (senior lady, etc.) and the situation could have been an opportunity to get the vehicle back in to replace the radio and make a huge haul ($$$) off the problem. Because the dealership played fair, I believe they deserve to know a procedure that is relatively quick and easy ... the 30 min. negative battery post disconnect tip that you so kindly shared. :smile:

·
Registered
665 Posts
The jumping looks like it did something funky to some non-volatile memory which prevented the infotainment system to boot properly... the battery disconnect cleared/erased that memory.

That 2 people reported the same thing after a battery jump in this thread...this must be common.

As these are just the same hardware as a phone or tablet but with a car centric operating system on it...i suspect there is a safe reboot mode to reset the infotainment system...just like holding the power button for more than 10s to force reset a hung tablet or computer or smart-tv.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The jumping looks like it did something funky to some non-volatile memory which prevented the infotainment system to boot properly... the battery disconnect cleared/erased that memory.

That 2 people reported the same thing after a battery jump in this thread...this must be common.

As these are just the same hardware as a phone or tablet but with a car centric operating system on it...i suspect there is a safe reboot mode to reset the infotainment system...just like holding the power button for more than 10s to force reset a hung tablet or computer or smart-tv.
Thanks for all your suggestions! I have similar problem with radio/info system. Took it in today and Yep the dealer said I need a new/refurbished replacement to the tune of $1,400. plus $350 labor. They said they tried to reboot it and wake it up but to no avail. The interesting thing is I can be driving down the road and it comes on all of a sudden. Once I turn the car off and turn it on again it won't boot up. Sounds like a loose fuse or wire etc. The dealer had to order the part from NY so will have to book another appt. once it comes in. Funny thing it booted up again on the way home so I called the dealer. Response was to wait until over the weekend and see if it still works. I disconnected the negative cable on the battery and waited for 30 minutes...reconnected but it didn't work. Any other suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our Infotainment system just went out on 2015 Terrain. Haven't taken it to dealer but given all the problems I am thinking aftermarket unit might be best bet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our Infotainment system just went out on 2015 Terrain. I am thinking aftermarket might be best bet given all the problems I see posted with factory unit.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I try to avoid jumping a low battery at all costs, I know sometimes it's unavoidable.
When the vehicle with the low battery, and the vehicle with the good battery start, both alternators go wide open.
Hard on the BCM, ECM, etc.

Disconnecting the battery cable to reset one of the modules is a great trick, many times it works with little or no problems.
If you live in a state/county that requires emission testing like I do, the cable disconnecting can cause drive cycle problems.
Just so you know.

Reactions: Enigma

·
Registered
117 Posts
Any time you may wanna "jump or get jumped" one must make sure the radio is OFF.. This happens a lot on the HHR forum.

And we call fixing it a BCM lobotomy by unhooking the battery terminal & then re connecting it. allow everything to re-boot it self.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts