GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to stick a couple of cabinets in the back of the Terrain.

It will be set with the backseat pulled forward & the backs of the back seats dropped down [forward].

I have a 30" width cabinet & about 31.5" top to bottom clearance at the hatch entrance, but when I get in near the center ceiling light, the clearance from the front edge of the 'dropped rear seat back' to the light is around 25". This is because the seat back doesn't go down flat.
Not enough space for the cabinets.

Is there any way I can get a bigger gap at the light?, eg, on some vehicles the bench seat pivots up at the front, allowing the back to drop lower.

Anything like that in the Terrain?

Thanks
LW4T

·
Registered
635 Posts
The Terrain does not have this folding feature. You can remove the headrests for slightly more room but not 5 inches. To find out how to remove headrests search forum. There are helpful pictures also.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Seems to me that after doing some wrenching, the back seat ought to be able to be removed completely. Granted, it may take 10-20 minutes, but somehow, it got bolted in, and therefore it ought to come out.

Has anyone looked at it close enough to try this, or anyone with a repair manual that might be able to send some scans of the back seat mounting method.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Be sure to slide the rear seats all the way to the front.
Seems to me I've had things higher than 32" with the seats down and forward.
Worth a try.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
RIT333 said:
Seems to me that after doing some wrenching, the back seat ought to be able to be removed completely. Granted, it may take 10-20 minutes, but somehow, it got bolted in, and therefore it ought to come out.

Has anyone looked at it close enough to try this, or anyone with a repair manual that might be able to send some scans of the back seat mounting method.
Anything that was assembled can also be disassembled....may not be easy though.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
NoobNox said:
Anything that was assembled can also be disassembled....may not be easy though.
That's my philosophy - once an engineer, always an engineer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gearhead said:
Be sure to slide the rear seats all the way to the front.
Seems to me I've had things higher than 32" with the seats down and forward.
Worth a try.
I'd be interested to know how you did that.

At the moment I have 2 x 65" x15" x 30" cabinets to transport. If everything lay flat I could just get them in.

I have 70" from hatch entrance to back of front seats, with back seats as far fwd as I can slide them.
, so the cabinets are going to be well up on the back of the dropped back seats .

I think the problem is the rear seats are so well upholstered that it prevents the seat back from laying dead flat on the bench part. It kicks up about 15 degrees or so.
Even with 'leaning' on the dropped rear seat backs I can't get better than 26" clearance in behind the front seats, at the 65" from hatch entrance mark.
Its not worth pulling the seats out as its probably a oncer trip.

LW4T

·
Registered
101 Posts
Longwait4Train said:
I'd be interested to know how you did that.

At the moment I have 2 x 65" x15" x 30" cabinets to transport. If everything lay flat I could just get them in.

I have 70" from hatch entrance to back of front seats, with back seats as far fwd as I can slide them.
, so the cabinets are going to be well up on the back of the dropped back seats .

I think the problem is the rear seats are so well upholstered that it prevents the seat back from laying dead flat on the bench part. It kicks up about 15 degrees or so.
Even with 'leaning' on the dropped rear seat backs I can't get better than 26" clearance in behind the front seats, at the 65" from hatch entrance mark.

LW4T
Dumb question: could you lay them on their back and make two trips?

Do you have leather or cloth seats? Just wondering if that makes a difference

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Longwait4Train said:
I'd be interested to know how you did that.[/color]

LW4T
I'll go measure with the seats all the way forward sometime soon and post back.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is my only complaint so far with the Terrain. Why GMC didn't incorporate fold flat rear seats is beyond me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RIT333 said:
Quick backseat removal procedure:

The backseat is kept in place by 4 bolts, two on each side.
The front bolts are accessible after removing a front plastic cover next to the floor.
The back bolts are accessible by sliding the seats all the way towards the front.
All 4 bolts are heavily treated with blue threadlocker, so be very patient with them, otherwise the operation is very simple.
The plastic cover for the gap to the spare wheel compartment un-clips easily from the seats if rotated at the right angle.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
While the non flat seat is a problem for some and I had expected it to be the same for me the truth is it has been a life saver for me.

We carry a Soap Box Derby car and the incline hold the tail up to fit over the console.

Also I have carried long lengths of wood and the incline again put it up and over the console so it gave me more room to carry longer items.

GM just went for a seat that was more comforable and the price often paid in the space they have to work in is a incline. My HHR folds flat like my old GTP and they sit like a park bench. My GTP was horrible for comfort. Larger vehicles like the Acaida often have better rear seats as they have more toom to work with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts