GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 GM Terrain Denali, very disappointed to see that gm has not fixed the problem, of lights dimming in broad daylight.
Turning the dimmer switch up or down does nothing, the only way it works is to be heading into the sun and the lights come on.
Unable to see what radio station is on or the GPS to see where you are. I really thought general motors fixed the problem, because my
2012 Chevy Silverado worked perfect. I have had seven new general motors vehicles in the last Twenty years. But this will be my last, unless they come up with a fix or at least, a way to defeat the automatic part. My driving is mostly in daylight as night vision not as good with age. If anyone has found a fix, I would appreciate a reply.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
What does your dealer tell you ? Normal, or broken.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This has bothered me also... Started with my 2012 Acadia, continued on my 2014 Camaro, and also with my 2018 'Nox. I haven't tried it yet, but have thought about covering up the light sensor on the top of the dash. One of these days I'll remember to bring something to cover it up with!

·
Registered
741 Posts
This has bothered me also... Started with my 2012 Acadia, continued on my 2014 Camaro, and also with my 2018 'Nox. I haven't tried it yet, but have thought about covering up the light sensor on the top of the dash. One of these days I'll remember to bring something to cover it up with!
Covering the sensor will put it into night mode and dim down dashboard.
I also wish the sensor was not as sensitive as my fleet will turn on the lights when parked in the shade at high noon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I figured that would be the case, but I might try it anyway... It almost looks like it's in some kind of in-between mode when it does what we're talking about. All least if it's in night mode it will respond to the dimmer knob, maybe :)
Can't believe that the software people haven't fixed this!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Take it in and show them. The sensor has to be bad or software needs to be reset. MIne works fine. My 2019 Terrain Denali goes bright as soon as the lights are turned off. Mine doesn't even dim when its raining during the day and the lights are only goes dimmer at night.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would suspect a communication problem with the BCM, (body control module) related sensors, connections, or the module itself.

Regardless, this is not a normal condition and should be able to be resolved.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would agree with you guys regarding the ECM or sensors, except I have seen the exact same behavior on a 2012 Acadia, a 2014 Camaro and now a 2018 Equinox. I just don't want to pay a dealer tech to go on an Easter egg hunt on my dime! I'll either put up with it or come up with a work around on my own :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts