GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I‘ve gotten to wondering lately, what is the maximum lifespan most folks are getting from their Terrains? I have a 2011 2.4L with 191,000 miles. Underside is getting rusty, little rust starting above the rear wheel wells and on the lift gate above the license plate. pretty sure it has a small exhaust leak in the manifold as expected but the noise and smell goes away within a minute or two of running. Engine runs a little rough at startup and of course it isn’t a barn burner, but otherwise it seems to be doing pretty well mechanically. With that many miles though it has me thinking if I’m on borrowed time before a big issue comes up. My wife has been saying we should get a new vehicle while we still have a little value in this one rather than take a chance on being left out to dry when this one dies. I think of it as more of a challenge as to how long I can keep it going. So what is everyone’s thoughts/experiences? I will say I don’t see many, if any, vehicles with that much mileage for sale anywhere.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
You have done well . .. But I think if it were me I'd be looking for another replacement.
I agree with your wife.
191K miles is a well used and phenomenal for a 2.4L Terrain.

Maybe take a look at a 2018 to 2020 GMC Acadia. Just a bit larger than your Terrain, good gas mileages with the V6 engine. We are getting 22 MPG mixed town/city and +28 to 31 MPG highway.
And much nicer ride and still easy to park. Vast amount of rear cargo.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
JayTee, how many royalty checks have you gotten so far ? LOL
"Mary" just flies me in and takes me to lunch now and then. We chat and i get the inside scoop on what's new for GM - - - - (y)

Reactions: garbec01 and RIT333

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I drive all mine until I can enshrine them in what I call the "62 Club" ... (6) 2's on the odometer ... that's 222,222 miles. I never care about "value left in a car". But ... also ... when my cars get up close to 200,000 miles, they "retire" to driving around town and back and forth to work. I'm not taking any long road trips in these cars. No sir! I've got confidence in my high mileage cars, but not that much confidence! LOL! So if this is your "primary" car, you should either replace, or retire it to car #2 or #3.

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would hook it up to a scanner and see if u are having or had misfired. If you have any issues it could be hard to tell until it's hooked up. If it's running clean I would say 250k max I'm at 125k on a 2.4 rebuilt twice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Everything I’ve ever owned seemed to really give troubles around the 215,000 mile mark. Usually nothing major but the little things start to add up and annoy me enough that I start looking to replace them. It will get to a point something expensive will give up and even fixing it your self doesn’t make financial sense.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Everything I’ve ever owned seemed to really give troubles around the 215,000 mile mark. Usually nothing major but the little things start to add up and annoy me enough that I start looking to replace them. It will get to a point something expensive will give up and even fixing it your self doesn’t make financial sense.
Similar experience here, minimum 222,222 miles on all my vehicles, but I think you can almost always fix something yourself and have it make financial sense. The one exception might be if you live in a snowbelt state and the weather has just totally destroyed the vehicle's structural integrity. Other than that, there are seemingly endless parts available in junkyards everywhere that you can now find yourself via the Internet. To me, it's more a matter of ... do you really want to do the work? If you do, then you can. Right now I've got 4 vehicles on my driveway that are almost 10, 18+, 23+, and 31+ years old. Amongst these 4 vehicles, I think I could get away with never buying another car the rest of my life if I really wanted to (another 25 years if I'm lucky).

Reactions: cusomano

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Colt, do you register the 41 year as a historical vehicle. Why/why not ? What is it, and how many miles on it ?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Colt, do you register the 41 year as a historical vehicle. Why/why not ? What is it, and how many miles on it ?
It's 31 years old not 41, and it's a Colt ... as in Plymouth Colt. Actually wholly imported by Plymouth from Japan. It was as sold as the Mitsubishi Mirage in Japan and the U.S. for a long time. Was even sold under the Eagle nameplate as the "Summit" for a while there. In the 80's it was one of the so-called "pocket rockets". It's also the basis of my screen name, and my first new car purchase after I started working out of college. 255,000 miles on it and only paid $5800 brand new! Top that value! Impossible today.

And no ... not registered as an antique. I once thought of doing that, but it seemed kind of silly for such a non-descript vehicle. Even if it was a Mustang I wouldn't bother because the 80's Mustangs were not iconic like the 60's Mustangs were (and still are).

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Sorry missed the 3 key. Stupid phones, or is it stupid key puncher !

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Sorry missed the 3 key. Stupid phones, or is it stupid key puncher !
Yeah - I hate the phone keyboards, too. I see younger people using two thumbs and typing almost as fast as I can on a full-sized keyboard! I can’t do it. Just use my index finger and my kids laugh at me.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yeah - I hate the phone keyboards, too. I see younger people using two thumbs and typing almost as fast as I can on a full-sized keyboard! I can’t do it. Just use my index finger and my kids laugh at me.
That's because man thumbs are too big. Kid thumbs are the size of my pinkies LOL

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
153 Posts
I do that but I started with a blackberry with a physical keyboard on it. Kind of miss that.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
It's 31 years old not 41, and it's a Colt ... as in Plymouth Colt. Actually wholly imported by Plymouth from Japan. It was as sold as the Mitsubishi Mirage in Japan and the U.S. for a long time. Was even sold under the Eagle nameplate as the "Summit" for a while there. In the 80's it was one of the so-called "pocket rockets". It's also the basis of my screen name, and my first new car purchase after I started working out of college. 255,000 miles on it and only paid $5800 brand new! Top that value! Impossible today.
We had the 1981 Plymouth Champ which also was sold as a Dodge Colt (?). I know they played around with the names for a few years.

Bought it brand new and drove it for about 80K miles in 4 years or so.
It got +40 MPG. .. on the highway, but push the gas pedal and wa-i-i-t for any acceleration.
It was nice enough and had A/C, but a dismally cheap radio. I replaced that almost immediately after buying the car. Wife drove it mostly.
Here are pics of the exact color and interior. It seems there are some collectors.

1981 Plymouth Champ - Google Search

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Duplicate post . . . what's with this website at times?

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Colt, your cars must total up to a million miles, huh ?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My very first car was a 1980 Plymouth Champ - similar to the one in the picture with silver paint, but the seats (and door panels) were black on the perimeter and a gray tweed on the interior panels. Mine was an automatic, and I think the Instrument Cluster looked slightly different than the '81 in the picture? I remember whacking that intermittent wiper switch on the right side of the cluster a lot! Mine also had the silver steel wheels (6 holes?) that I ended up painting black (which looked good with the silver paint). I still have the "CHAMP" door logos and the steering wheel (saved to put on the next Colt, but I never installed it). Loved that car! Bought it in 1983 for about $2500. 37,000 miles.. Ran like a top to almost 100,000 miles. Always started and plowed through all the snow and cold weather up in MA. But after 4 years it got taken out in a mid-day accident, and went to the crusher. When I got to the junkyard, I asked for the wheels back - and to this day, two of those 1980 wheels are still on my 1989 Colt! After the Champ "died", I got another '80 (Colt, this time) to replace it ... a 4-speed, red paint, black interior. That one ran like a top, too! And I only paid $500 for it when my girlfriend's father twisted a local dealer's arm to sell it to me at that price to repay a favor he owed him. LOL! I went to pick it up with my girlfriend and the dealer made sure I knew he was losing money on the car (that he had advertised on his lot for $1500). Oh well! Two years later, that Colt went to the crusher, replaced by the brand new '89 Colt!

And yeah, the radios were bad, so I also installed my own stereo systems in both cars. Sounded awesome! WAY better than anything I've had since!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Colt, your cars must total up to a million miles, huh ?
The four I still have now are pretty close, yeah. Certainly over 1 million if you count the '80 Champ and Colt before these four...

Too bad my silver '80 Champ got wrecked, or I might still be driving it today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I‘ve gotten to wondering lately, what is the maximum lifespan most folks are getting from their Terrains? I have a 2011 2.4L with 191,000 miles. Underside is getting rusty, little rust starting above the rear wheel wells and on the lift gate above the license plate. pretty sure it has a small exhaust leak in the manifold as expected but the noise and smell goes away within a minute or two of running. Engine runs a little rough at startup and of course it isn’t a barn burner, but otherwise it seems to be doing pretty well mechanically. With that many miles though it has me thinking if I’m on borrowed time before a big issue comes up. My wife has been saying we should get a new vehicle while we still have a little value in this one rather than take a chance on being left out to dry when this one dies. I think of it as more of a challenge as to how long I can keep it going. So what is everyone’s thoughts/experiences? I will say I don’t see many, if any, vehicles with that much mileage for sale anywhere.
2011 2.4L with 191,000 miles? IMHO That baby is on borrowed time. My 2013 2.4L SLE started burning oil at 97K miles. That’s when I found out about the PCV issue, and engine main bearing seal issues, and piston rings issues, etc. Went through the whole dealer ‘oil consumption’ test, where I discovered that GM says that up to a quart of oil every 1000 miles is ‘normal’?! AND – GM stated that you should check the oil on every gas fill. How many people do you see checking their oil at a gas station? Thankfully I started to…read on.
Since then, I’ve added an oil catch can in the PCV line after noticing all the goo going into the air intake shroud. And then when on a long trip from WI-FL-WI, when filling up at the gas station, I noticed the oil was low – end of dipstick! Panic! Noticed the underside of the car on passenger side was coated with oil. Anxiously made it home doing no more than the speed limit, constantly keeping an eye on the oil pressure gage and keeping the radio off listening to any change in engine sound, so I could quickly pull over before totally ruining the engine for lack of oil. And checking the oil at every stop. Used 3 quarts total over the ~1800-mile trip. Luckily made it home, and found the front engine seal was the leaker…Was able to fix and replace it myself. If it were the rear main seal, the cost to fix would have been well over $1000. That’s when I learned more about the PCV issue causing excessive crankcase pressure, which causes the front and/or rear main seals to fail. So, I got a one-way vented oil cap in the interim to relieve the crankcase pressure until I can clean out the PCV orifices. Currently at 145K miles and still limping along. But not sure I’d feel confident taking it for another long trip with the wife and kids. Probably would take the 2003 Camry XLE with 156K miles instead. That’s right- a 17-year-old Camry over a 7-year-old Terrain.
Side note – most members on this forum like their Terrains, so you are likely to get way more positive responses than negative. Most of the members who have had issues with their Terrain are long gone, or are like me trying to find answers to fix issues to keep it running since the resale value is so low.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts