GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about anyone else, but salesmen (not just car) not knowing their products and flat out lying to you really bothers me. I was fed so many lies/inaccuracies when buying my Terrain that I don't know what to believe now that I have it. There really should be laws against some of this stuff. Anyone else experience this? Can anyone help fill me in on a few things?

Things I was told (some aren't tech related, but just helped get me closer to buying):
  • We can usually do better that the advertised rates if you have good credit. I spent time figuring payments at different rates, only to get the advertised rate based on my over 800 credit score and my wife's even higher score.
  • We talked to banks and let them know about this sale and they are willing to do better on the rates than normal (see above).
  • We are having a big sale and are willing to go WAY above and beyond what we would on your trade. Here's an extra $300, but we'll sell it for $3k more than that.
  • We could put aftermarket leather in an SLE, it's about $1400. (Next time we talk) Did you consider installing leather, I know it was $1700 though?
  • All 2012 V6s will take E85. I buy the car, find out it doesn't.
  • The radio has Pandora and Stitcher streaming. Buy the car, find out only certain SLT-2s do.
  • You can change the images on the radio screen with custom images. Buy the car, can't see anywhere this is possible.

Can anyone verify if these things I was told are true or not?
  • AWD is FWD unless it detects a slip. Wouldn't that be 4WD or don't they care anymore?
  • The transmission learns how you drive and adjusts accordingly every 250 miles or so.

That's all I have for now, I'm sure I'll think of more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
I thought all V6 did take E85?

Yeah the radio issues are a big one! Nobody has a clue!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
You need to do your own research before you buy a car as the sales staff will mislead you just to make a sale. Obtain you own financing as the dealer gets a kickback when they get you to finance through them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
I thought ALL 2012's were E85. Including the 4 banger.

On the radio issue I heard that GM going forward is going to require dealers to have a certified tech savvy person in both sales and service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,140 Posts
I was always under the impression- that when new- and you start driving- the engine/transmission learns parameters based on your driving. and continues to use these. so if you drive like a race car driver- thats what it leanrs- and uses...

On my 2010 Traverse---
SO knowing this- I always drive my vehicle easy- so it shifts early etc.
Now I can drive in residential streets- and the trans 1-2 shift is at 1800, and the 2-3 shift at 2200.
I know other traverse owners dont get this... as theyre more aggresive.

Though I dont know about every 250 miles.
I do know- some- in their desperation to get better MPG-- have disconnected battery so that learned parameters are lost.. and the trans/engine relearns some parameters-- but this time theyre trying to drive much easier-- and they report success.
(batt disconnects of 30+ min).


Is all this valid? I dont know-- but it works for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
I can't believe anyone would go solely on the words of a saleperson. I've known since I've been buying cars they aren't 100% trustworthy. It would be like someone posting they trust walking into a bank and getting a 30 year mortgage for a $200,000 home and doing no research. Of course, I'm sure idiots still do that and believe the mortgage person then complain when they were mislead.

As far as I know, all 2012's have always been E-85. Do you not have a yellow gas cap? The new 2012s being produced starting this week will come in two engine versions for both the 2.4 and the 3.0...it will be available in E10 or E85. I think E10 is standard and the E85 will be an option.

Everything you say has been hashed numerously online. I can't fathom how someone spends $30k on a car and doesn't research it themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
To get the 12' I4 as E85 it has to be ordered with the Federal Emissions Option, otherwise, like me, you find out it is not a Flex Fuel vehicle. Once I looked into what E85 was (27% less energy) I realized I would not use it anyway because it actually costs more than reg gas for what you get. The mpg's are really low on E85.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but salesmen (not just car) not knowing their products and flat out lying to you really bothers me

In today's world of internet forums, Google searches, etc there is no reason a consumer should rely on someone else for such a large purchase as a car. Do your research, learn as much as you can, and then go looking. Consumers not knowing the product and accepting as fact everything they are told by a salesman without using other tools at their disposal may not be happy with the purchase after the fact. It's a shame it works that way, but it does. There are forums, brochures, social networks, websites, etc which can all be used to learn.


The car does learn your driving habits, and adjusts certain parameters such as shift points. I have never heard that it relearns every 250 miles. If the battery is disconnected for a few minutes, the settings default back to factory. You can then drive it as you normally do, and it relearns again. People trying for better mileage will reset back to factory, and drive easier to set more favorable MPG settings instead of power or acceleration settings.

With a credit score of over 800, you should have obtained the best interest rates from your own bank or credit union. I have had dealers meet or beat my best rate (also have excellent credit) when I've shopped around for rates. Credit unions usually provide insurance for the loan amount for no cost, whereas the dealer will try to sell additional insurance to you.

E-85? You will have a sticker or label by the gas cap or on the car saying it is flex fuel E-85. For the loss of mileage when using E-85, I would never even use it even if my car was able to. By the time you figure the cost difference and the mileage difference, you are better with regular gasoline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW! Trying to start a little conversation and getting called every name in the book in the process.

Who said I didn't do research?

Take this thread for example, half the people say all 2012's are E85, half say they are not, some say going forward it will be an option. If someone were to read this how would he know the answer? Why am I getting bashed b/c I think it's not too much to ask for someone to actually know about his/her product and/or not blatantly lie to you about it? Let's take the E85 for example again. I researched it. It said there was an option to get an E85 capable V6. I asked the salesperson if you had to have special approval for that or live in Cali or something and he said, no they are all E85. So I buy a V6, get home read the manual and see it has to have a yellow gas cap to be E85 capable. I don't even care, I'd never use Ethanol b/c I DID MY RESEARCH and know that it is less efficient and you end up paying more b/c you need more.

Let's look at the radio. Take this forum, no one knows WTF is going on with the radio. Sure everyone thinks they do, and some do, but how do you know who is really right? When there are discrepancies you trust the person on the front line who works with the product every day. Why is that too much to ask? I mean you can't just pick a person in a forum who seems to use a condescending tone against everyone else b/c he's always right; JediSkipdog doesn't know the E85 answer.

The radio is an electronic, therefore it's easily upgradeable. Is it ridiculous of a person to think that maybe there has been an upgrade, like Pandora or Stitcher done recently? My TV for example has had more than 10 firmware updates done automatically that have added numerous improvements and features. It (TV) was sold saying it had Pandora, right on the box, but it didn't. Guess what, firmware update took care of it. Why is it ridiculous to think that someone in the trenches ,as it were, would know about something like that? I guess I never should have called SONY to ask about that b/c they could tell me anything.

I just thought that it's ridiculous that these people (again, not just car salesmen) lie to us and I thought maybe some others had examples they wanted to share and commiserate with each other about, and that someone could help me and others with a few random questions. I thought that's what these forums were for.

Come to think of it, I better not trust the reading of that ECG my doctor went over with me yesterday, he could be lying just to sell me that prescription. Can anyone here tell me if I had a heart attack if I send you a pic of it?

Thanks to everyone who had helpful answers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
I have a 2012 I4 and it can use E85 but that is all I know about E85. I can't even buy it where I am unless I dirve 120 miles so I never cared about it anyway.

The radio I know about. I went rounds with my Dealer and GMC after I purchased my Terrain because I was led to believe that Intellilink would be an upgrade down the road. I know for a fact now that it is not an upgrade and if you do not have it, you won't be getting it unless you purchase another car that has it. The color touch radio does not have the Pandora or Stitcher icons and can not stream music via bluetooth.

I don't know anything about the car learning how you drive etc. This is news to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Endo129 said:
WOW! Trying to start a little conversation and getting called every name in the book in the process.

Who said I didn't do research?

Take this thread for example, half the people say all 2012's are E85, half say they are not, some say going forward it will be an option. If someone were to read this how would he know the answer? Why am I getting bashed b/c I think it's not too much to ask for someone to actually know about his/her product and/or not blatantly lie to you about it? Let's take the E85 for example again. I researched it. It said there was an option to get an E85 capable V6. I asked the salesperson if you had to have special approval for that or live in Cali or something and he said, no they are all E85. So I buy a V6, get home read the manual and see it has to have a yellow gas cap to be E85 capable. I don't even care, I'd never use Ethanol b/c I DID MY RESEARCH and know that it is less efficient and you end up paying more b/c you need more.

Let's look at the radio. Take this forum, no one knows WTF is going on with the radio. Sure everyone thinks they do, and some do, but how do you know who is really right? When there are discrepancies you trust the person on the front line who works with the product every day. Why is that too much to ask? I mean you can't just pick a person in a forum who seems to use a condescending tone against everyone else b/c he's always right; JediSkipdog doesn't know the E85 answer.

The radio is an electronic, therefore it's easily upgradeable. Is it ridiculous of a person to think that maybe there has been an upgrade, like Pandora or Stitcher done recently? My TV for example has had more than 10 firmware updates done automatically that have added numerous improvements and features. It (TV) was sold saying it had Pandora, right on the box, but it didn't. Guess what, firmware update took care of it. Why is it ridiculous to think that someone in the trenches ,as it were, would know about something like that? I guess I never should have called SONY to ask about that b/c they could tell me anything.

I just thought that it's ridiculous that these people (again, not just car salesmen) lie to us and I thought maybe some others had examples they wanted to share and commiserate with each other about, and that someone could help me and others with a few random questions. I thought that's what these forums were for.

Come to think of it, I better not trust the reading of that ECG my doctor went over with me yesterday, he could be lying just to sell me that prescription. Can anyone here tell me if I had a heart attack if I send you a pic of it?

Thanks to everyone who had helpful answers.
i totaly agrre with you man i did alot of looking into on this car and i knew about the intllilink and when i went there to by the car i did not know that there was a 3ed radio the intllink and the nav and the "color touch screen" so the guy told me that the car had the intllilink radio in it and when i looked at the car i did not go threw every thing on the radio b4 i bought it i took his word for it why would u lie about a raido you know so once i get home start messing with it i saw that i had no pandora and started looking more into and found out about the 3ed radio called the dealer and they acted like they had no idea about this 3ed radio and told me that it will prob just be an update later well with all the talk to here i cant figure out if its going to be or not and i think alot of it is GMC fault because they are advertizing the sh*t out of this intellilink raido and are not puting it into there cars so its bull you can only do so much reaseach and u have to trust the dealer a little bit but it really just pisses me off that they can do that and once u "singn your life away" there is nothing you can do about it and as u can see on this website your not the only one it happend to there are alot of us lol but if u hear anything about the raido let me know cuz im still waiting for an explanation on all this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
As to the whole radio thing, I think GMC is totally at fault. They started marketing the intellilink before dealers even had the 2012 models. I was about to buy a 2011 and then started reading up on the press releases and decided to go with a 2012. It was actually the first 2012 that the dealer got. I purchased in late August. The sales guy didn't know the specifics about the radio and GM had no answers for him. I purchased thinking somewhere down the line it would happen but now I find out its a whole different radio. I'm kind of upset about it but there's nothing I can do about it now. I think that GMC should have been more specific about when the intellilink would be present in the 2012 models. I've spoken with the dealership numerous times and they don't really understand what intellilink is. They keep telling me to just plug a cable in. It wasn't until I joined this forum last week that I found the answer to my question. My radio does not have intellilink, nor can it be upgraded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
tkminter said:
As to the whole radio thing, I think GMC is totally at fault. They started marketing the intellilink before dealers even had the 2012 models. I was about to buy a 2011 and then started reading up on the press releases and decided to go with a 2012. It was actually the first 2012 that the dealer got. I purchased in late August. The sales guy didn't know the specifics about the radio and GM had no answers for him. I purchased thinking somewhere down the line it would happen but now I find out its a whole different radio. I'm kind of upset about it but there's nothing I can do about it now. I think that GMC should have been more specific about when the intellilink would be present in the 2012 models. I've spoken with the dealership numerous times and they don't really understand what intellilink is. They keep telling me to just plug a cable in. It wasn't until I joined this forum last week that I found the answer to my question. My radio does not have intellilink, nor can it be upgraded.
There is something you can do about it. You can get in contact with GMC like i did and express your dissatisfaction. It won't get you Intellilink but it may get you something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Take a look at the following government fuel costs and MPG for the 2012 Terrain gasoline vs E85! About $600.00-$700.00 a year more if using E85, depending if you have a 4 or 6 cylinder! That is also with E85 being 40 cents cheaper! Why would anyone run that through their vehicles?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2012_GMC_Terrain.shtml
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
ls973800 said:
Take a look at the following government fuel costs and MPG for the 2012 Terrain gasoline vs E85! About $600.00-$700.00 a year more if using E85, depending if you have a 4 or 6 cylinder! That is also with E85 being 40 cents cheaper! Why would anyone run that through their vehicles?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2012_GMC_Terrain.shtml
In this neck of the woods E-85 costs MORE than regular. Crazy. I'll never be trying it unless its at least a dollar cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
MY local SM did clear the transmissions memory to try help with gas mileage. Yes the transmissiom does develope a memory.
Radio, don't know what all it will do. I do have both mine and wife's cell phone programmed into the system so we can use them hands free.
I may be missing something there. Finnaly found the disc player. Rather the wife found it. HA HA.
Have a good day everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
The best defense is to know everything about the vehicle before you plunk down your money. the salespeople do not know everything, not even close.
I did tons of research, and in spite of this was surprised when I found out that my 2012 I4 EQ did not use E85.

as far as the radio is concerned, I have the NAV radio. You can customize the Home screen, there is a menu somewhere. I hardly use the home screen, just the buttons.
But I got a surprise last week when I found my smartphone's address book listed on the touch screen. It is a little kludgy, but you can look and call a contact that is on your phone. I did not know it was possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
If your phone is connected and you press the handset button on the radio, it should bring up a screen where you can enter a phone number, look at your contact list or look at your phone lists (incoming,outgoing and missed) if your phone supports it.

Select one and you will list of the alphabet in sets of three so that you can start your search at a point other than the beginning. Press on the entry and you will be able to call the number. Not hands-free but close, so use it while you are stationary.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top