GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I want to install LED Bulbs for my back lights (break lights only atm), these are the bulbs I am using (Sorry can't post links yet) SMT Spider Lights - 60 Led Red - 1157 on Autolumination . com, do I need a Resistor for the Turn Signals? I have heard mixed things about them, and I heard, If you have a lot of LEDs you won't, so is 60 enough??

Jim

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
1157's are the wrong bulbs, OEM's are not the socket style. 3157's are what you need and yes for turn signals you will need a resistor.
Mine are 25 LED and they are plenty bright enough, equivalent to OEM maybe a touch brighter.[/color]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
POLRCUB said:
1157's are the wrong bulbs, OEM's are not the socket style. 3157's are what you need and yes for turn signals you will need a resistor.
Mine are 25 LED and they are plenty bright enough, equivalent to OEM maybe a touch brighter.[/color]
Wow sorry I wrote my post late at night, I ordered the 3157. Where should I get a good resistor and how can install without doing to much damage / voiding the warrantee

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Once on the link, click on the 315x-x18-T tab under the 3156 & 3157 tab,,, I have to correct my last post, mine are the 18 LED output not the 25 LED output as I stated, still plenty of light.[/color]

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ftail-brake-turn.html%23a3156

For the turn signal resistors,,, click RL-650[/color]

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ftail-brake-turn.html%23flasher

Keep in mind the resistors will get very very warm, so when installing behind the lamp assembly, keep them stationary and not in direct contact with any plastic.[/color]

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
POLRCUB said:
Once on the link, click on the 315x-x18-T tab under the 3156 & 3157 tab,,, I have to correct my last post, mine are the 18 LED output not the 25 LED output as I stated, still plenty of light.[/color]

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ftail-brake-turn.html%23a3156

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ftail-brake-turn.html%23flasher

Keep in mind the resistors will get very very warm, so when installing behind the lamp assembly, keep them stationary and not in direct contact with any plastic.[/color]
Thanks, I'm ordering them now, is there enough space to tuck them out of the way? I am worried that if I hit a bump it might dislodge and burn the plastic housing if they get that hot

Thanks again

Jim

·
Registered
99 Posts
POLRCUB said:

any pics in use?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
jo12ltz said:
Thanks, I'm ordering them now, is there enough space to tuck them out of the way? I am worried that if I hit a bump it might dislodge and burn the plastic housing if they get that hot

Thanks again

Jim
Yes there is plenty of room for the resistors, my Hubby just used mechanics wire (as each resistor has two small mounting holes for holding in place - they are slightly smaller than a stick of lip balm ;D[/color]

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Bowtieman21 said:
any pics in use?
I'll try, shooting lights I find is a little tricky, never come out exactly right. My Hubbies car photographer would be the guy for that.
But I'll see, my GM LF671 wheels are in so we are just in the process of mounting the tires (they are supposed to be here today, if not, for Monday I'm told)

My Hubby has provided me the I4 and V6 engine Service Manual pictures for the PCV oil catch can install that I will be posting later this weekend.[/color]

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Bowtieman I'll try and have some pics up by Monday, have to install my lower chrome moldings tomorrow.
Cheers[/color]

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Bowtieman21 said:
any pics in use?
Grrr, tires came in this am (instead of Monday) and of course as luck would have it, TireCraft ordered the wrong ones - they're Yoko's all right but Prada's instead of AvanS.4... so I have to wait yet again..

So, I have pics of the install ( the rear tail lamp LED's) and when I get my wheels/tires and the LC molding and the trucked washed ;) - I'll get pics up..

sorry, Bud,,,, [/color]

·
Registered
99 Posts
POLRCUB said:
Grrr, tires came in this am (instead of Monday) and of course as luck would have it, TireCraft ordered the wrong ones - they're Yoko's all right but Prada's instead of AvanS.4... so I have to wait yet again..

So, I have pics of the install ( the rear tail lamp LED's) and when I get my wheels/tires and the LC molding and the trucked washed ;) - I'll get pics up..

sorry, Bud,,,, [/color]
ok cool, no worries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apparently the resistor isn't needed in the 2012, I will post a video later, everything works fine

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
jo12ltz said:
Apparently the resistor isn't needed in the 2012, I will post a video later, everything works fine
That's very interesting, are you using the 3157's from Superbrightleds?
If so, I've just installed them on my 2012 from my 2011 and I had to use the resistor.

Curious to know Jim,[/color]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think there's a guy on Pirate that is having his buddy overseas ship them to him, so he can sell them. I don't think he's marking them up since he's not pimping a yellow star.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
FelipeStalvey said:
I think there's a guy on Pirate that is having his buddy overseas ship them to him, so he can sell them. I don't think he's marking them up since he's not pimping a yellow star.
Can you please translate to Northeastern English ?

Sorry...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts