GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
red and blue on front face of a vehicle is illegal.....pick another color ;)

·
Registered
748 Posts
I really dont think stationary has anything to do with it. I believe they're illegal either way. Unless youre a volunteer civilian and your mandated to have those lights on the vehicle. You may want to check on that...

·
Registered
87 Posts
sapper82 said:
Got it, my brother is a state trooper. Thanks
if he is a state trooper, then you should be able to have him check the state laws.

I know in California and several other states, any red or blue light that can be seen from the front is illegal. You can get in big trouble for having either on the car, moving or not, as they can assume you are trying to impersonate an officer.

Nice idea, don't get so defensive, but the law is the law.

Here in Texas, the law is as follows:

Code:
Texas Transportation Code. Section 547.305, restrictions on use of lights which states:

a. a motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, stop lamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp,
or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 
candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a 
distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

b. except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, 
other than a police vehicle with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in 
front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

c. a person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, 
or alternating lights unless the equipment is: 

1. used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or

2. a running lamp, tail lamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/news/archive/blue_lights.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not getting defensive, just saying my brother has checked already and if the vehicle is stationary I'm good.

·
Registered
949 Posts
sapper82 said:
Not getting defensive, just saying my brother has checked already and if the vehicle is stationary I'm good.
Yea, according to the Texas law quoted above, you just can't "operate" the vehicle in that state. Looks interesting though.

The other day I saw a guy driving around with blue headlights. It was dark and cloudy, with rain everywhere but our town (lucky us ::) ), so everyone had their lights on. It looked really stupid, though. Sure as heck didn't help him see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts