GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

LED/HID Head Light Dust Cover Extension Mod for GM Projector Housings $2

59K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  hasoon2000 
#1 · (Edited)
NOTE:[/color] Also, proceed at your own risk.
[/color]

NOTE:[/color] I need to make a disclaimer. If you do not find this thread useful and not your cup of tea, that is OK with me. I do not need or want to start debates or negative criticism. This is just something I want to try. I state this because at times, things are not appreciated by some.
[/color]

I've recently started trying out some LED headlights, just because I enjoy trying out new things that I may find useful. In the process, as many know, the GM projector (and halogen high beams for that matter) have a dust cover over them. When converting to some HID and many LED H11 headlight replacements, the GM dust cover makes for a tight fit if it can be still used at all. So, I endeavored to modify the GM factory headlight dust covers to remedy this.

I wanted a decent looking outcome without spending a lot of cash. After trying various off the shelf "parts", I used the ever helpful process of "thinking outside the box". I purchased 4 GM dust covers for about $9ea which are used on many new GM vehicles:

Part No.: 23486492 COVER ASM-HDLP BULB ACC

I purchased these both to have potential spares for my other vehicle (2017 Chevy Colorado) or in case I needed a sacrificial prototype. . . In other words, buggered one up. But all went well and I made a couple pair. Of course, you can always just mod the ones your vehicle comes with and save $$. The only other items I needed were the "Custom Dust Cover Extensions" and some adhesive sealant to secure them to the GM dust cover after a bit of manicuring.

I initially tried some smaller diameter extensions and found it too much trouble to implement since the H11 bulb does not sit centered behind the GM dust cover. Therefore, I opted for a dust cover lobotomy and removed a good portion of it that yielded a lot of potential room. This leaves very adequate space for HID wiring/connectors, etc as well as the bulk of LED cooling apparatus be it cooling fans/fins or those braided wire strips. The pictures show an unmodified GM Dust Cover and the result after using a 1.5" hole saw to cut 3 overlapping holes into the top and then a dremel to finish out the rest. I am also thinking of adding a few ventilation holes with filter media behind them to allow more heat to escape from the bulb housing. The filter media will keep most dust out, but allow air to move through.

In all, the "Custom Dust Cover Extension" cost less than $2 each plus a little adhesive. I happened to have and recommend some automotive Goop brand adhesive which works well. It adheres to most plastics.

2017 LED Headlight Reviews: [/color] - - -14 Best LED Headlights for Your Car [Comparison Photos] 🔥 10CarBest

I need to make a disclaimer. If you do not find this useful and not your cup of tea, that is OK with me. I do not need or want negative critics. I state this because on some other forums, and even this one at times, things are not appreciated by some.

Some other means of extending dust cover.

Attachments

See less See more
#66 ·
My friend was having issues with his dust cover not fitting after he installed LEDS.

I designed a 3d printed replica but longer to give better clearance for the LED heatsink.

I made them with high heat resistant material that I use for another part that I make for Tacoma's.

They fit perfectly as a replacement to the original dust cover. Simply swap over the rubber gasket and install as original part was intended.

would anyone be interested in testing these out and giving a review and feedback?
Is there a demand for something like this?
Any other parts that could be made to solve a problem?

to be clear I am not selling as I have not applied for vendor status as of yet.
I do not wish to violate the forum rules.

feel free to pm me or shoot me an email
grantschoenit@gmail.com

#67 ·
My friend was having issues with his dust cover not fitting after he installed LEDS.

I designed a 3d printed replica but longer to give better clearance for the LED heatsink.

I made them with high heat resistant material that I use for another part that I make for Tacoma's.

They fit perfectly as a replacement to the original dust cover. Simply swap over the rubber gasket and install as original part was intended.

grantschoenit@gmail.com
Hi . . I replied to your other thread as well.
I posted a link to the Coloradofan forum where another innovator had the same idea.
May need to test them over time for any issues that may arise. The one in that instance had moisture issues that fogged the headlights after time. Either a seal or issue with the material that was porous enough.
Apparently the material would draw in air and humidity when the under hood temperature would cool and then condense inside. Those who bought them had the issue only after having them installed for a period of time. It may also have been a sealing issue with the factory gasket that seemed to fit tightly, but did not, but attempts were made to assure that and fogging still occurred.

LINK: - LINK: - 2015-18 Chevy Colorado 3D Printed Dust Caps

#68 ·
I've been browsing around the last few days and see if anyone made smaller LEDs without modification to the dust cover. I came across this sight where he offers a smaller LED option. I emailed him to see if it will fit in our Terrains. If so, I'll be happy to buy it and see if they'll work without modification.

MicroSlim LED Headlight (H11) – Dieselleds

#69 ·
So they responded back and said that it should fit. They provided me with a 10% off code. I ordered the bulbs. I will report back when they come in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.